Cambodia does not feature in Thailand’s visa exemption proposal

geovalin

Visa exemptions will still not be granted to visitors from Cambodia, even though she has bilateral visa exemption agreement with Thailand. Bangkok Post reported that the Thai Interior Ministry will seek cabinet approval for a proposal to extend visa exemption for foreign tourists from 56 countries from 30 to 45 days in a bid to attract more tourist arrivals to revive the economy battered by Covid-19.

Tanee Sangrat, spokesman for the Foreign Affairs Ministry, on Wednesday said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha had instructed the ministry recently to expedite the relaxation of restrictions on foreigners entering Thailand. The ministry raised the matter at a meeting of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration’s (CCSA) panel on the easing of Covid-19 restrictions, Mr Tanee said.

It was agreed at the meeting that visa exemptions will be granted to foreign tourists from three groups of countries. The first group comprises 56 countries and territories which are allowed under a visa exemption scheme to stay for 30 days, he said. The second group comprises six countries and territories which have bilateral agreements with Thailand to stay for no more 30 days. They are Hong Kong, Laos, Macau, Mongolia, Russia and Vietnam.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50792547/cambodia-does-not-feature-in-thailands-visa-exemption-proposal/

3 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Nothing should be granted to Cambodia excepting sanctions....it's just and disgraceful, despotic country!

Rubbish, a far better welcoming country these days! I now live in Siem Reap having moved to Cambodia just before the borders closed, after 20 years of retirement in Thailand. For starters, life here is hassle free, no bureaucracy and more or less "old normal" with no mandatory rules or regulations regarding the virus, just public health advice. With respect, may I ask if you ever visited Cambodia before the pandemic?

Well, grant visa exemptions to the entire world - it will not have an impact due to the the quarantine at exorbitant pricing while local lasses, alas "ladies of the night", can sneak back into the realm from Burma and all is OK. 

Maybe someone should tell the government that the internet is also accessible outside Thailand; I can list dozens of foreigners who spend their xmas break (and millions of Thai Baht) not in Thailand but in Turkey or in the Caribbean where manageable health paperwork exists but no quarantine is mandatory which eats up 50% of their yearly holiday allotment (if they are lucky)! 

14 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Rubbish, a far better welcoming country these days! I now live in Siem Reap having moved to Cambodia just before the borders closed, after 20 years of retirement in Thailand. For starters, life here is hassle free, no bureaucracy and more or less "old normal" with no mandatory rules or regulations regarding the virus, just public health advice. With respect, may I ask if you ever visited Cambodia before the pandemic?

LOL:
Until you want to get married, buy and register a motorcycle, get a license, register ur address. etc etc.

Cambodia has 10x the bureaucracy of Thailand , even for the locals

not to mention for most items, it will cost ya more and be of a lessor quality.

FYI:
Cambodia schools are closed, while Thaiands have been open for months

PLUS bars, pubs, clubs all currently closed an from what i hear pub street in sr is as much a graveyard as Patong.

Not to mention He has accepted over 40 million $$ for covid vaccines and still does not know where to buy it...   LOL

and yes, i have lived in Cambodia and have been travelling there since the late 90's

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

Cambodia schools are closed, while Thaiands have been open for months

Cambodian schools, both government and private, re-opened on September 7 2020 (quote)

September 8, 2020

Schools across Cambodia reopened for students yesterday, following the green light from the Ministry of Education after six months of closures to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Due to the recent new domestic infections in Phnom Penh, all schools were temporarily closed again about 2 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

PLUS bars, pubs, clubs all currently closed an from what i hear pub street in sr is as much a graveyard as Patong.

Maybe so in Phnom Penh, but here in Siem Reap many bars, pubs, clubs etc. are OPEN. In fact I had a couple of beers in my local Khmer bar yesterday. Yes, Pub Street is very quiet but this is a tourist area, so no tourists equals graveyard! Away from Pub Street the many popular locally owned Khmer family bars, restaurants, coffee shops and clubs around the central/river area are thriving and a hive of activity in the evenings. No mandatory face-masks and no social distancing. 

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Cambodian schools, both government and private, re-opened on September 7 2020 (quote)

September 8, 2020

Schools across Cambodia reopened for students yesterday, following the green light from the Ministry of Education after six months of closures to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Due to the recent new domestic infections in Phnom Penh, all schools were temporarily closed again about 2 weeks ago.

like I said, schools are closed...:-)

GF has friends, relatives living in SR and they are hurting bad with enormous loss of income, same goes for Poi Pet, Battambang  and Kep/kampot

Bars, pups, clubs, karaokes are all closed in PP,

Sihanoukville is a Chinese ghost town

Praise Cambodia all ya want, but its poor 2nd choice compared to life in Thailand...

Food , entertainment, education, medical,  and i could go on and on

People are friendly, that i will give ya but no more so than anywhere rural in Thailand

and lets not get into corruption   LOL

Edited by zzzzz