Win10 Sleep no sleep

toast1

Strangely, my Win10 PC has started waking up in the middle of the night, it never used to do this.

Can't find out why this is. 

Update active hours are set to - day time.

Can't see any software that would wake my PC up at night, and turn on the screen - any ideas to fix this?

Thank you

mine sometimes don't want to wake up. Often I make the mistake of closing the cover of my laptop  causing it to go to sleep. I immediately open it, but I have to wait forever for it to wake up. 

I will follow this thread with interest

I have that problem when I leave Chrome opened on my desktop.  It could be some site I have browsed to with some active stuff that wakes up the PC.  If I minimize Chrome it seems to help.  There could be some other app you have running that is doing it.  I would first try minimize everything and see of that helps. After that I would try shutting things down.

Edited by shdmn

Thanks so much for the advice, changed power settings, will see 

Ran powercfg/waketimers

Does this mean anything?

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg/waketimers
Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 07:26:29 on 28/12/2020.
  Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Backup Scan' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Program Files (x86)\IDriveWindows\id_service.exe (IDriveService) expires at 20:10:00 on 15/12/2020.

C:\Windows\system32>

toast1 - Yes, you have what looks like a program that wakes your computer to run, either a backup or a scan for a backup. Don't recognise the program but turning off the wake timers might work. Can be other reasons why it wakes the computer up.

There are three interesting things you can ask using cmd:

Find out who is hindering sleep
    powercfg -requests

Who last woke the computer:
    powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

Who prevented last sleep:
    powercfg -lastwake

Just looked, Firefox woke my computer last night due to some audio stream in use. Why? I know not.

12 hours ago, toast1 said:

Thanks so much for the advice, changed power settings, will see 

Ran powercfg/waketimers

Does this mean anything?

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg/waketimers
Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 07:26:29 on 28/12/2020.
  Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Backup Scan' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Program Files (x86)\IDriveWindows\id_service.exe (IDriveService) expires at 20:10:00 on 15/12/2020.

C:\Windows\system32>

If your changes don't take, look at the backup software. 

That second one looks like it's iDrive cloud backup service.  Is that the service you are using?  If so, there's a setting in that software that you can enable/disable that will wake the computer up from sleep/hibernate.

https://www.idrive.com/help/Windows/general_settings

On 12/15/2020 at 12:41 AM, sirineou said:

mine sometimes don't want to wake up. Often I make the mistake of closing the cover of my laptop  causing it to go to sleep. I immediately open it, but I have to wait forever for it to wake up. 

I will follow this thread with interest

That is often related to one or more imperfect device drivers.

I have an old ThinkPad. It wakes up from sleep but then the internal WiFi does not work. I couldn't get any newer drivers from Lenovo. Disabling and enabling the WiFi worked but it was a little annoying. At the end I bought a mini USB-WiFi adapter and use that. Now I have no problem anymore.

Summary: Check all your drivers and (try to) find out which is the one which creates problem.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Could Wake on LAN be enabled?  

Check that under the Power Management tab in network adapters section of Device Manager. While in DM, check other devices and only allow keyboard & mouse to wake up computer. With those sometimes a loose cable or connection can activate the wake up.

I have a sleep problem in Win 10 Home on my laptop.  I suspect it has something to do with having a dual-boot Linux laptop (grub) but can't be bothered with investigating.  So now it's either shutdown or hibernate.