You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

5G + 5G modem at home

dia1

I’m getting ready to move from a house to a condo, and after having 1gbs fiber for a while, I dread going back to the 100 or 200mbs maximum that most condos are capped at.

Now that 5G coverage is becoming pretty widespread in central BKK, I’m wondering if anyone has switched to using a 5G modem in their home for a completely wireless high speed (theoretical 1gbps) connection?

I know this is pretty cutting edge tech still, so I might only get 200mbs or whatever sometimes, but I’m okay with that. I know the speeds will only get better in time as the network improves. 

I see both AIS and True are offering this as an option with an expensive Hwawei 5G modem now. I don’t mind the high cost if it works well. It even saves me having to make a new account and close an old one if I happen to move again.

Anyone using this setup and experiences?

Edited by dia1

It's a massive waste of money... I'm assuming the data package will be very expensive! The router has to convert any 5G signals so your computer/laptop etc. can use the frequency.

This cuts your transmission down to a peak of around 800Mbps - assuming you have the best possible 5G signal anyway.

You could attain higher speeds - and a more solid connection - with a true fibre 1Gbps wifi router anyway.

Most condos - especially newer ones have since upgraded to fibre and you shouldn't have any problems getting a top end package. Have a look at this thread: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1160738-are-there-bangkok-condos-with-high-speed-fiber-optic-200-mbpsinternet-connections/page/1/

You would definitely get higher speeds using a wifi router with your computer.

I would be interested to know how much they are charging for data, and how much data you would receive p/m

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 1

Actually i just checked the price - it's 1,200 per month excluding VAT for unlimited internet with calling time and a free sim with minutes & data. Not bad actually.

https://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/package/most_advanced_services/520/postpaid/แพ็กเกจ_5G_ซูเปอร์_แม็กซ์_สปีด?ln=en

I still think you would get a better, more stable signal using a traditional fibre 1Gbps router... and the price would be much lower. You could get an all in one bundle - Phone, TV and 1Gbps WiFi speed for 699

https://droidsans.com/promotion-true-fiber-1-gbps-699-baht/

Edited by 2530Ubon

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have no answer but if you don't mind me asking:

For what do you need more than 100 or 200 Mbps?

It's less of a need and more of a want. For example. I can have the GF in one room streaming 4k Netflix while I'm downloading away in the other room without a hiccup. If I want to download a new 40gb game, it's done in a matter of minutes rather than hours, and things like 60fps VR videos are a breeze. I find that the way I use the internet is different with a true 1gbs connection... I literally do everything in 4k, and if there is anything I want to download, regardless of size, I 'give it a try' rather than figure out in my head if it's a waste of time. It's also pretty nifty to get a 1gb film copied from the net to your computer in just a couple of seconds.

I would be fine with a 200MBps connection, but real fiber is totally worth the few hundred baht per month. Also, the sheer stability of my connection since having real fiber has been great. I have ToT <deleted> DSL and the cable "fake fiber" connections True and AIS offer and they would suffer random downtimes constantly. Sometimes for more than a day. I've had zero outages since having real fiber and the stability and consistency is much greater. I don't expect the exact same stability with 5G, but if I could even get 1/2 the bandwith I get with a 1gbps fiber connection, I would be a happy camper.

3 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

It's a massive waste of money... I'm assuming the data package will be very expensive! The router has to convert any 5G signals so your computer/laptop etc. can use the frequency.

This cuts your transmission down to a peak of around 800Mbps - assuming you have the best possible 5G signal anyway.

You could attain higher speeds - and a more solid connection - with a true fibre 1Gbps wifi router anyway.

Most condos - especially newer ones have since upgraded to fibre and you shouldn't have any problems getting a top end package. Have a look at this thread: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1160738-are-there-bangkok-condos-with-high-speed-fiber-optic-200-mbpsinternet-connections/page/1/

You would definitely get higher speeds using a wifi router with your computer.

I would be interested to know how much they are charging for data, and how much data you would receive p/m

I actually read that topic before posting this one, and I don't think a lot of posters in there know what they are talking about. A lot of 'fiber' packages that are advertised aren't real fiber. They are high speed cable connections that go up to about 200mbps that connect to existing copper. I've had those fake fiber connections before and it's not great. I don't know why they call those packages fiber other than for marketing. If it is real fiber, they will offer up to 1gbps, which most condos, even most newer ones don't offer. I know because I have been condo shopping... and there was actually only one I viewed that was already wired for fiber that I found, and I didn't see a fiber outlet in the room, so they agents might have not known what they were talking about. I'm actually moving into a brand new condo never lived in before with no fiber outlet. I could theoretically run around and waste my time trying to figure out if True or another company will wire to my condo and figure out how many thousands of baht I'll have to pay for an upgrade if they will even do it... Or I could save time and just get a 5g router that should theoretically get better with time as 5g has a theoretical max bandwith of 2gbps or so. No wires, and no worry about switching accounts when I move. With 5G and beyond, it's inevitable that wired connections will eventually become obsolete.

800mbps should be fine. Actually, I'd consider it a major upgrade over fiber since there are no wires running into the wall, the router can sit anywhere, and no installation to deal with. In real use scenarios, I found that I only get about 500mbs from fiber connections due to daily use servers not being able to deliver that much data... you really only see those 1gbps+ numbers from speed test servers. So anything over 500mbps is icing on the cake, and there are videos of people on youtube getting over 500mbps with a 5G router so I know it's possible.

The packages are cheap... around a 1000 baht or so. I'm happy to pay that. I'm happy to pay whatever for the router too. My main concern is the throttling and such, and that's why I mainly want to hear people's experience. I obviously wouldn't want to get throttled after I reach 80GB or whatever... and we all know the "unlimited" stuff they say can sometimes be misleading.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dia1 said:

It's less of a need and more of a want. For example. I can have the GF in one room streaming 4k Netflix while I'm downloading away in the other room without a hiccup. If I want to download a new 40gb game, it's done in a matter of minutes rather than hours, and things like 60fps VR videos are a breeze. I find that the way I use the internet is different with a true 1gbs connection... I literally do everything in 4k, and if there is anything I want to download, regardless of size, I 'give it a try' rather than figure out in my head if it's a waste of time. It's also pretty nifty to get a 1gb film copied from the net to your computer in just a couple of seconds.

I would be fine with a 200MBps connection, but real fiber is totally worth the few hundred baht per month. Also, the sheer stability of my connection since having real fiber has been great. I have ToT <deleted> DSL and the cable "fake fiber" connections True and AIS offer and they would suffer random downtimes constantly. Sometimes for more than a day. I've had zero outages since having real fiber and the stability and consistency is much greater. I don't expect the exact same stability with 5G, but if I could even get 1/2 the bandwith I get with a 1gbps fiber connection, I would be a happy camper.

I actually read that topic before posting this one, and I don't think a lot of posters in there know what they are talking about. A lot of 'fiber' packages that are advertised aren't real fiber. They are high speed cable connections that go up to about 200mbps that connect to existing copper. I've had those fake fiber connections before and it's not great. I don't know why they call those packages fiber other than for marketing. If it is real fiber, they will offer up to 1gbps, which most condos, even most newer ones don't offer. I know because I have been condo shopping... and there was actually only one I viewed that was already wired for fiber that I found, and I didn't see a fiber outlet in the room, so they agents might have not known what they were talking about. I'm actually moving into a brand new condo never lived in before with no fiber outlet. I could theoretically run around and waste my time trying to figure out if True or another company will wire to my condo and figure out how many thousands of baht I'll have to pay for an upgrade if they will even do it... Or I could save time and just get a 5g router that should theoretically get better with time as 5g has a theoretical max bandwith of 2gbps or so. No wires, and no worry about switching accounts when I move. With 5G and beyond, it's inevitable that wired connections will eventually become obsolete.

800mbps should be fine. Actually, I'd consider it a major upgrade over fiber since there are no wires running into the wall, the router can sit anywhere, and no installation to deal with. In real use scenarios, I found that I only get about 500mbs from fiber connections due to daily use servers not being able to deliver that much data... you really only see those 1gbps+ numbers from speed test servers. So anything over 500mbps is icing on the cake, and there are videos of people on youtube getting over 500mbps with a 5G router so I know it's possible.

The packages are cheap... around a 1000 baht or so. I'm happy to pay that. I'm happy to pay whatever for the router too. My main concern is the throttling and such, and that's why I mainly want to hear people's experience. I obviously wouldn't want to get throttled after I reach 80GB or whatever... and we all know the "unlimited" stuff they say can sometimes be misleading.

https://www.nperf.com/en/map/TH/1609350.Bangkok/11529.True-Move-H/download/?ll=13.66446926968282&lg=100.39833152179696&zoom=9

If you know the exact location of your new condo, you can use this map to see the download bitrate.

True are actually outstanding when it comes to unlimited plans. I used to have an unlimited 4g plan - I worked across the country and regularly used over 100Gb every month. I used to share the connection with my co-workers and no one had any issues. Such a shame you can't get a decent fibre connection. With houses it's easy - they just put the line into your home.