Roaches: Boric acid or roach traps ?

WaveHunter

I'm fairly certain this topic must have been discussed on the forums but the search function here revealed no threads ????  I just moved into a hi-rise condo and have seen some roaches in the kitchen and bathroom; nothing serious but I want to nip it in the bud.  I understand that a common remedy is boric acid powder, but I'm not sure if the one I found on Lazada is suitable.  Here is a snapshot of the product page:

2046722473_snapshot_2020-12-17at12_54_48PM.jpg.9c0355209ec6d7766bfd9795b5e2d30e.jpg

I'm not sure what "17% refers to.  Is this the correct kind to use? 

I also see "roach powder" on AliExpress which seem to be very popular with very positive buyer feedback such as this one:

2086183191_snapshot_2020-12-17at1_02_53PM.jpg.da6415eaa1ed47dc50d3c4eb349b9c84.jpg

I assume it is boric acid mixed with sugar perhaps so maybe a  better choice since I'm not sure if boric acid alone will work, and I like the idea of individual ready-to-use packets that I can use as needed instead of a 1 kg bag.

Any thoughts?  Any recommendations?  Most appreciated ????

Yes absolutely did that recently after a condo I rented out came back with an infestation. 

Borax or boric acid both excellent. Just sprinkle a fine mist where they walk and they will take it back to the nest. But it will take about a month to kill them all or do what I did, sprinkle the whole condo on all surfaces including the whole floor and then go away for several days 

Also look for cracks and holes and seal them with putty or any type of sealant 

• Like 1

s-l640.jpg.3918480366485044795fdd9c53e19194.jpg

In the past I've used a product similar to this one (picture just for illustration purposes, i can't remember the brand anymore), I think i bought it in Big C, got the job done. The advantage with this is that the poison is inside these plastic housings, so it's difficult to accidentally come into contact with it.

Use both, mix a bit of flour in with the boric acid that will lure them in they eat the flour boric acid mix and the boric acid kills them. Since they are cannibals the other roaches in the  nest eat them and they get the boric acid, dead roach

There's a special brown gel you can put in the corners - roaches eat it and die, big and small.

But it's more effective to shut all gaps - close the drains at night and put a draft stopper under the door, otherwise they'll keep coming from empty units.

If everything else fails, move to a newer condo (<10 years old) and make sure common areas are cleaned regularly. Sadly, many management companies are trying to cut costs because of corona-craze by skimping on cleaning.

• Like 1

You are right, it has been discussed before, not sure why you're not able to access that thread.

Nonetheless here's the cheap non chemical solution.!

Mixing baking powder (bi carb soda) with honey or gom (sugar syrup) place on little pieces of tin foil or jar lids and leave where they will find it.

Eventually after they have eaten some they will die, it causes gas in the stomach and cockroaches can't fart, so they sort of explode, in their own tiny way.

4 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Sangsom--kills everything it comes in compact with..maybe even covid??? ????

Nah.

I'm still here 20 years latter. and a few years on SangTip before that. i still have a few bottles of that on the shelf !!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, redpill17 said:

There's a special brown gel you can put in the corners - roaches eat it and die, big and small.

But it's more effective to shut all gaps - close the drains at night and put a draft stopper under the door, otherwise they'll keep coming from empty units.

If everything else fails, move to a newer condo (<10 years old) and make sure common areas are cleaned regularly. Sadly, many management companies are trying to cut costs because of corona-craze by skimping on cleaning.

Roaches don't care about the age of a condo. And even if everything is cleaned there might be roaches. And you might bring them home. For instance if you buy garlic at the market be careful that they don't hide inside. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, millymoopoo said:

You are right, it has been discussed before, not sure why you're not able to access that thread.

Nonetheless here's the cheap non chemical solution.!

Mixing baking powder (bi carb soda) with honey or gom (sugar syrup) place on little pieces of tin foil or jar lids and leave where they will find it.

Eventually after they have eaten some they will die, it causes gas in the stomach and cockroaches can't fart, so they sort of explode, in their own tiny way.

Have you ever tried to use the search feature on this forum?  It's really not effective at all.  I normally google to search this forum ("search term" "thaivisa), but it just listed a bunch of really old threads, none of which answered my question curiously because the threads all quickly went off-topic.

I ended up just buying a commercially made gel (see post above) because using borax, baking soda, or boric acid powder is messy, and mixing it with sugar or honey, just makes a sticky mess that's a pain to clean up later, whereas concentrated gels requires less coverage since they attract the pests more effectively.

I used a similar product to get rid of ants when I lived up in Chiang Mai and it was quick and effective.  I really posted this thread in the hopes that somebody would chime in with a similar product that they knew was effective with cockroaches (which I hate much more than ants LOL)

Edited by WaveHunter

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Have you ever tried to use the search feature on this forum?  It's really not effective at all.  I normally google to search this forum ("search term" "thaivisa), but it just listed a bunch of really old threads, none of which answered my question curiously because the threads all quickly went off-topic.

You have to search in Google with 

site:thaivisa.com roaches

Edited by Oldie
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I really posted this thread in the hopes that somebody would chime in with a similar product that they knew was effective with cockroaches (which I hate much more than ants LOL)

I have given you the answer, but you have chosen to ignore it.

Any product that, acts as a food for them can be a mistake, it can attract more insects so prolongs the time to eradicate the infestations.

a gel,  is hard to get into cracks and tight crevices. very in effective.

A fine borax powder in a talcum powder type bottle can puff the powder into tight spots.  a hand brush on a tiled floor can get the powder around and to the edges of the room very well.

you will never get  good coverage with a gel.

The roaches walk through the powder it sticks to them, then they clean themselves off in the nest and the powder is ingested then.

A fine powder is less messy than any gel, dirt will stick to the gel.

a vacuum cleaner or a dust pan and brush with remove a powder very easy, try getting rid of a gel or some other concoction sticky mess.

Try and identify the type of roach you have, i suspect you have the German cockroach

( you have the Bosh in your condo !! ) check out the life cycle and how they reproduce and travel, in between rooms,  its interesting ( god i never new that ) google is your friend.

you will then see why its not the best idea to use food to get rid of them.

you may need to change the way you act in your condo with left over food or the way you manage waste in your room,  you maybe inviting them back all the time.

Thank you,  your welcome.:cheesy:

Edited by quake

17 hours ago, quake said:

Nah.

I'm still here 20 years latter. and a few years on SangTip before that. i still have a few bottles of that on the shelf !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed..im a sangsom lover at heart...better to burn out than fade away---cheers! Ive learned to drink it straight!

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2020 at 12:10 PM, redpill17 said:

I think that's the stuff I bought.  Concentrated gel just sounds a lot less messy than powder.  I'll report back how it worked.  Truth is, I don't really have an infestation.  I've only seen a couple of the critters so far...but where there's smoke, there's fire, ya know?

On 12/19/2020 at 3:16 AM, quake said:

I have given you the answer, but you have chosen to ignore it.

Any product that, acts as a food for them can be a mistake, it can attract more insects so prolongs the time to eradicate the infestations.

a gel,  is hard to get into cracks and tight crevices. very in effective.

A fine borax powder in a talcum powder type bottle can puff the powder into tight spots.  a hand brush on a tiled floor can get the powder around and to the edges of the room very well.

you will never get  good coverage with a gel.

The roaches walk through the powder it sticks to them, then they clean themselves off in the nest and the powder is ingested then.

A fine powder is less messy than any gel, dirt will stick to the gel.

a vacuum cleaner or a dust pan and brush with remove a powder very easy, try getting rid of a gel or some other concoction sticky mess.

Try and identify the type of roach you have, i suspect you have the German cockroach

( you have the Bosh in your condo !! ) check out the life cycle and how they reproduce and travel, in between rooms,  its interesting ( god i never new that ) google is your friend.

you will then see why its not the best idea to use food to get rid of them.

you may need to change the way you act in your condo with left over food or the way you manage waste in your room,  you maybe inviting them back all the time.

Thank you,  your welcome.:cheesy:

I know professional exterminators use powdered boric acid and just use one of those air puffer thingies to apply it.  If the gel doesn't work, I'll go with the fine-grain boric acid powder.

1701369301_snapshot_2020-12-20at11_22_26AM.jpg.6e134014a8c63a39c24bd6c31ee793d6.jpg

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 5:19 PM, Oldie said:

You have to search in Google with 

site:thaivisa.com roaches

I wonder why ThaiVisa forums has such an inefficient forum search function.  I've done searches using the precise title name of a post I know exists, and the search results are null, yet a google search using the search term plus "site: thaivisa.com" or just "thaivisa" will provide results even if the search term is buried in the body of single post???

Anyway, I agree 100%...Google is the best way to search for posts & threads on ThaiVIsa for right now.  Literally every single post that contains your search term will appear in the search results.