How easy is it to play golf?

ASEAN NOW Golf

How easy is it to play golf?

golf-header-image.jpg

Perhaps now especially during the global pandemic, the statistics are showing more and more of us are considering starting to get some exercise by taking up the game of golf.

Golf is one of the few sports that tick all the boxes, by being easy to social distance, is good for exercise and is played outdoors.

Golf clubs are reporting many new first-time golfers are starting to turn up, and even the major equipment manufacturers are having to recruit new staff to cope with the surge in sales.

So, if you are fed up sitting at home putting on weight, maybe it is time for you to seriously to get some clubs, and go and hit some balls.

Practice helps first

Rather like riding a bike, once you have mastered the basics, and can focus on hitting the ball straight, the rest is really down to practice.

Most golf courses have professionals who will be happy to give you a beginner’s lesson or two.

When I started, I borrowed a few clubs from a friend and went down to my local driving range and just hit balls. Gradually I managed to get me eye in and the balls started going straight and further.

However, you cannot beat the feeling of actually going out and hitting the ball down the fairway.

OK it can be a bit intimidating the first time, but if you maybe pay the golf pros a bit extra, he can go out with you to play a few holes.

To avoid slowing up the play for others, it is a good idea to go out late in the day, when most courses are not busy. Then it does not matter if you make a fool of yourself, as no one will notice.

It may surprise you how many of your friends already play golf, so next step is to get them to invite you to play a round and take it from there.

Finally, instead of dashing off to spend big bucks on a new set of clubs, just go online and you can pick up a perfectly good secondhand set for a song.

Enjoy the game, get the exercise and hopefully you will get the bug, and become addicted like the rest of us. Enjoy!

golf-banner.gif

I don't know if it can be posted here as the language is a bit rough but if you really want a laugh then google Robin Williams, Golf. ????

Playing golf is not easy and playing well is even harder. Go to the driving range 1st and if you don't hit the guy next to you then golf may work out for you.

• Haha 2

Have been trying for nearly 70 years. In all of that time I have only played 7 rounds approx under 80 or once every 10 years on average. My only gong was for the best back nine in a tournament in Taiwan in 1987. Pathetic really, but good fun every now and again.

• Haha 1

On 12/17/2020 at 3:04 PM, Pilotman said:

Its impossible.  Don't believe all that you hear, or see on TV.  Its all staged and smoke and mirrors.  I have been trying to play that ridiculous 'game' for 40 + years.  What a joke.  It's impossible and is merely a joke on human kind.  They don't tell you this when you buy them. but the balls have little micro chips in them that send them into the nearest trees, then they grow little tiny legs and <deleted> off somewhere, or you can  get some 'marine' ones that find water at every turn, then submerge and hide in the weeds until you've  gone.  Its impossible I say, impossible.  Now, I need a drink. 

You state it's impossible, then say you've been trying to play 40+. Are you a masochist?

Greatest game ever, a combination of physical attributes, muscle memory, mental focus and course management. Test of character like no other sport. It's only you and a little white ball.

Some golfers are naturals, I have a mate who got to a four handicap within three months of taking up golf. Took me two years to do the same, had to work at it.

Gary Player once said " The more I practice, the luckier I get".

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It's only you and a little white ball.

So actually it is NOT a competitive sport because your opponent does not infuence your play. Let's face it if I played against Seve Ballasteros then who would win?

Darts is also not competitive and I am sure there are more.

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

So actually it is NOT a competitive sport because your opponent does not infuence your play. Let's face it if I played against Seve Ballasteros then who would win?

Darts is also not competitive and I am sure there are more.

Nonsense, if you have ever played match play either off the stick or on a handicap basis you would know mental pressure can be applied to an opponent and vice versa. If I have two putts for the win from six feet, you can be damn sure I'm not going to try to be a hero by trying to hole the first putt.

• Like 1