ED Visa Expiring - Options Available During Covid

Hello all,

I am currently on an Education Visa for Thai Language but it is ending in February. I am an American and arrived in Thailand on the 30 day visa except in February, extended it once, then switched to an ED Visa which will run out in a few months. 

I was under the impression ED Visa's could be extended until at least 15 months if not a few years. That apparently is not correct as my school said I can only get 11 months. Normally I would have to leave the country and re-enter, but nobody is certain now given Covid. Also, they mentioned I could not receive back to back ED Visas for Thai language. 

Has anyone dealt with an expiring ED Visa during covid times? Has the government been willing to keep extending like they were for tourist visas? I wonder if I could switch from my current ED Visa to that 90 day tourist visa that can be extended twice for a total of 270 days? That seems unlikely, but given their desire for tourists to come, but restrictions for quarantine and fit to fly, non-covid, etc etc, given if someone was already here it would be an easy yes.....buuuut that would be too simple. 

Or maybe I can get another ED Visa for Muay Thai? Anyone had success transitioning one ED Visa for another? 

Any insight would be much appreciated. As you can imagine, a return to the US does not sound like a great option given the state of affairs there. Brainstorming here and fishing for insight if anyone would care to share. Thank you all. Cheers.

Can't see why you won't be eligible for 60 day "covid extension". They could possibly be ongoing as the current situation with covid is long way off.

BTW you cannot obtain STV in Thailand.

Would not hurt to chat with agent just to be aware of any options they can provide.

I believe you can switch to a volunteer visa, people were saying they go for 45,000 baht now. I'm in the same situation as you and just paid 5000 baht to extend for another 2 months until the end of February because that's when I last entered the country. If COVID extensions are still going on, I'll do that or I'll see if I can do the volunteer visa. I'm under 50, not married and don't plan to stay here after enough people around the world are vaccinated so I don't want to spend so much for the elite visa and I also don't want to go back to where I have family in Canada because they will soon be out of ICU beds and the cases keep rising.

7 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

I believe you can switch to a volunteer visa, people were saying they go for 45,000 baht now.

You cannot change visa types while in the country if you are on a non immigrant visa already. You can change the reason for a extension of stay to another type.

You may be able to change from an extension based upon attending school to volunteer work.

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot change visa types while in the country if you are on a non immigrant visa already. You can change the reason for a extension of stay to another type.

You may be able to change from an extension based upon attending school to volunteer work.

This indeed can be done - 2 of my friends have done this

35 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

This indeed can be done - 2 of my friends have done this

I assume you are replying to this in my post.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can change the reason for a extension of stay to another type.

10 hours ago, darrendsd said:

I was on a ED Visa which finished in May - I have been on the Covid extensions since then

So when they switched you from ED to your current covid visa, is it a 30 day visa you need to extend every month? Or longer? Have they mentioned at all when you have been extending about how much longer you can keep extending? Given the global covid situation seems like they should just let it keep going but we can never know. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Scaliwags66 said:

So when they switched you from ED to your current covid visa, is it a 30 day visa you need to extend every month? Or longer? Have they mentioned at all when you have been extending about how much longer you can keep extending? Given the global covid situation seems like they should just let it keep going but we can never know. Thanks!

It was free until they started charging in September - after that it has been 60 day visa

According to some posts on here it can be extended again up to the end of Jan which means you would get until the end of March

Archived