Usa/thailand Treaty Of Amity

A prominent Australian businessman told me recently that the US Treaty of Amity with Thailand has not yet expired. I was under the impression that it had expired a few years ago. He said that it was due to expire in 2005, but it never happened and now it is still active. I can't seem to find the answer on the internet. Anybody else know anything?

A prominent Australian businessman told me recently that the US Treaty of Amity with Thailand has not yet expired. I was under the impression that it had expired a few years ago. He said that it was due to expire in 2005, but it never happened and now it is still active. I can't seem to find the answer on the internet. Anybody else know anything?

A few months ago an attorney told me that it is still in force, but is expected to be terminated in 2009.

It is my understanding that the Amity Treaty, the document itself has expired. However, the Thai govt is continuing to allow "Amity Treaty" companies to be established..

I own an Amity Treaty company, established in 1986.. I will tell you that the overview by various govt agencies has increased over the past year. We get more visits from the tax office and the labor office. Never any problems, always just checking our records. That is why I always suggest that, if you set up an Amity company...make sure it is legit, because you will be checked and if they ascertain that it is not a legitimate, profit making company, it will no go well...That is my opinion...

Edited by stoneman

I own an Amity Treaty company, established in 1986.. I will tell you that the overview by various govt agencies has increased over the past year. We get more visits from the tax office and the labor office. Never any problems, always just checking our records. That is why I always suggest that, if you set up an Amity company...make sure it is legit, because you will be checked and if they ascertain that it is not a legitimate, profit making company, it will no go well...That is my opinion...

Very interesting.

And it allows to understand why in Thailand... the best choice to set up a business was to go the "thai way", AKA creating a thai company (with nominees), and bypassing the Foreign Business Act.

The bottom line : if you are the beneficiary of an "exception regime" (Amity Treaty, or BOI, or FBA), you are on a short list, mechanically more visible... More controls for everything.