Fanless M1 MacBook Air

srowndedbyh2o

6 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

How do you think the new M1 MacBook Air will perform in Thailands hot, humid climate, since it does not have a fan?

Your question is a lacking a lot of information. What do you want to do with it?

The answer will be extremely dependent on your use, though it’s clear that it’s producing much less heat than an intell powered MacBook Air.

If you want to render hours long 4K videos then the computer will ramp down the M1 chip speed and power use (it’s now so complex that CPU isn’t really correct) so the M1 Mac mini is the computer for that as it almost certainly  won’t slow down.

But for more usual use the CPU will hardly get more than warm and the computer will run rings around almost any laptop and most desktops. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the feedback.

I’m currently in the U.S. and had purchase a 2020 MacBook Air last March (1.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 8GB memory). I haven’t done any ‘heavy’ work (video editing etc.) with it, but when I’m just browsing the web, many websites, especially this thaivisa website, will cause the fan to kick in pretty strong after 10 seconds or so. I have no other windows open, just one thaivisa window. I figured if this Mac needs the fan so much just browsing the web in a relatively cool climate, the new m1 MacBook Air with no fan may be an issue in a hot climate like Thailand.

All of your posts have pointed out that is not the case.

Before my wife and I make our ‘repatriation’ to Thailand, I was considering trading back in my intel MacBook Air for the new m1 MacBook Air. Not sure if its worth the cost since mine is only 9 months old.

A new m1 MacBook Air with 512GB SSD and 16GB memory is about U.S. $174 cheaper in the U.S. than if purchased in Thailand.

I don’t see a trade-in option on the Thailand Apple website. Do used Macs have good resale value in Thailand?

Thanks again all.

Edited by srowndedbyh2o

You will probably be able to get a much better resale value in the USA, try to sell it quickly, demand is high because of the stay at home situation, you will loose a bit on the resale value but you can still get AppleCare for it so can have a 2 year Apple guarantee with the sale, you don’t need to buy it until it sells (if less than 12 months old) so can list it as an option,.

3 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

but when I’m just browsing the web, many websites, especially this thaivisa website, will cause the fan to kick in pretty strong after 10 seconds or so. I have no other windows open, just one thaivisa window. I figured if this Mac needs the fan so much just browsing the web in a relatively cool climate, the new m1 MacBook Air with no fan may be an issue in a hot climate like Thailand.

You need good add block SW there are a number of sites, this is one, where the numbers of adds are huge, while add blocks will not stop them all it will restore sanity.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You need good add block SW

Excellent!

I never even thought about it, but my VPN has an add-blocking option. Since I’m always connected online over wifi, I just leave my VPN on all the time. (Doesn’t seem to slow down the computer any).

I turned on the add-blocker about 15 minutes ago and left 5 tabs of thaivisa open and the fan has yet to come on, and my MacBook Air is barely even warm.

THANK YOU!

33 minutes ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

Excellent!

I never even thought about it, but my VPN has an add-blocking option. Since I’m always connected online over wifi, I just leave my VPN on all the time. (Doesn’t seem to slow down the computer any).

I turned on the add-blocker about 15 minutes ago and left 5 tabs of thaivisa open and the fan has yet to come on, and my MacBook Air is barely even warm.

THANK YOU!

The lack of care for their users for some sites is absolutely incredibly stupid. They want add revenue so the cram in so many adds the site becomes glacial, users stop using the site so add revenue drops, users bloc adds so add revenue drops, so they stuff in more advertising. Rinse and repeat. 

there are a couple of add blocking apps or add ons “Ublock Origin” is a content blocker that is superb and will help as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1