To fight new COVID strain, UK PM Johnson reverses Christmas plans for millions

rooster59

17 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

If you have a better idea, one that doesn't destroy the economy further then please enlighten us.

Enforce social distancing. Massive fines introduced to enforce co-operation such as limiting the amount of customers in a store etc.

The last lockdown was a joke. People were on the news laughing saying "I bought cookies - they were essential." Enforce a total lockdown for 3 weeks.Massive fines for non compliance

Close bars, gyms, cinemas, non essential shops and nightclubs

Enforce mask wearing - everywhere. No more stupid rules, total mask wearing everywhere. Massive fines for non-compliance.

Curfew in force - massive fines for non compliance

Pretty much follow what the governent here did - it worked. Would still be working if the borders were protected by competent, uncorruptable people.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Enforce social distancing. Massive fines introduced to enforce co-operation such as limiting the amount of customers in a store etc.

The last lockdown was a joke. People were on the news laughing saying "I bought cookies - they were essential." Enforce a total lockdown for 3 weeks.Massive fines for non compliance

Close bars, gyms, cinemas, non essential shops and nightclubs

Enforce mask wearing - everywhere. No more stupid rules, total mask wearing everywhere. Massive fines for non-compliance.

Curfew in force - massive fines for non compliance

Pretty much follow what the governent here did - it worked. Would still be working if the borders were protected by competent, uncorruptable people.

Most of what you mention has already been done.

Who is going to enforce masking wearing in shops ? who is going to enforce the curfew?

What Thailand did right was that they closed their borders pretty quickly but even now, I see there is a huge increase in infections.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Most of what you mention has already been done.

Who is going to enforce masking wearing in shops ? who is going to enforce the curfew?

What Thailand did right was that they closed their borders pretty quickly but even now, I see there is a huge increase in infections.

No. It hasn’t been done. that’s why the UK is in terrible shape

What do you think the police are for? To enforce things. They’re literally called ‘the force’ 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

No. It hasn’t been done. that’s why the UK is in terrible shape

What do you think the police are for? To enforce things. They’re literally called ‘the force’ 

You've obviously not lived here for a long time. The "force" are nothing of the type. More likely to pull you over for slightly driving too fast then solving a real crime.

There are around 125,000 offices in a population of 70+ million, assuming there is no crime between now and Febryary, how the hell do you think they can enforce a curfew? The only real way is to enlist the help of the army but then we're moving into 1984 teritory...

46 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

You've obviously not lived here for a long time. The "force" are nothing of the type. More likely to pull you over for slightly driving too fast then solving a real crime.

There are around 125,000 offices in a population of 70+ million, assuming there is no crime between now and Febryary, how the hell do you think they can enforce a curfew? The only real way is to enlist the help of the army but then we're moving into 1984 teritory...

Pretty easy really, everyone is supposed to be at home during a lockdown. Easy to spot people outside. Essential workers only allowed out - and they should be travelling only at work times. Hospital workers are easy to spot - they have a uniform (I should know, as a medical professional myself!) These working hours should be adjusted to take into account that no one should be leaving home. Police staffing numbers are far more, when you take into account traffic wardens, PCSO, special constables & police volunteers - the number grows to around 230,000 https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/905169/police-workforce-mar20-hosb2020.pdf

Why not bring the army in? Worked here. That's another 200,000 people patrolling the streets.

Just to show how much of a joke the last lockdown was, have a look at this 2 minute BBC News interview during the second lockdown. No one is wearing mask, even the chap from the BBC interviewing everyone doesn't bother to cover his face. The tub of lard he was interviewing was out for essential shopping - cookies. Cookies were essential to this selfish piece of....

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-55050597

<iframe width="400" height="500" frameborder="0" src="https://www.bbc.com/news/av/embed/p08zcsxw/55050597"></iframe>

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 6:47 AM, edwinchester said:

3 days ago this charlatan was ridiculing the leader of the opposition for suggesting not easing lockdown conditions just for Christmas when it was obvious cases are starting to get out of control again. And now yet another reversal from this incompetent opportunist.

In a German magazin I have read a "nice" comment concerning GB's situation:

GB has three diassters:

1. Brexit

2. Covid

3. Johnson

Edited by puck2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, puck2 said:

In a German magazin I have read a "nice" comment concerning GB's situation:

GB has three diassters:

1. Brexit

2. Covid

3. Johnson

Johnson should be at the top - Without him & his mastermind BFF (Dominic Cummings) Brexit wouldn't have happened.

Covid would have been managed more competently by literally any other leader.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Pretty easy really, everyone is supposed to be at home during a lockdown. Easy to spot people outside. Essential workers only allowed out - and they should be travelling only at work times. Hospital workers are easy to spot - they have a uniform (I should know, as a medical professional myself!) These working hours should be adjusted to take into account that no one should be leaving home. Police staffing numbers are far more, when you take into account traffic wardens, PCSO, special constables & police volunteers - the number grows to around 230,000 https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/905169/police-workforce-mar20-hosb2020.pdf

Why not bring the army in? Worked here. That's another 200,000 people patrolling the streets.

Just to show how much of a joke the last lockdown was, have a look at this 2 minute BBC News interview during the second lockdown. No one is wearing mask, even the chap from the BBC interviewing everyone doesn't bother to cover his face. The tub of lard he was interviewing was out for essential shopping - cookies. Cookies were essential to this selfish piece of....

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-55050597

<iframe width="400" height="500" frameborder="0" src="https://www.bbc.com/news/av/embed/p08zcsxw/55050597"></iframe>

You've been in Thailand too long and shielded from reality.

For a start, major retailers are open and people are Christmas shopping albeit in a limited amount of shops. I had to get some food today at my local Tesco and the queue stretched around the carpark, took me 50 minutes to get in. It's pandamonium. Had the government (yes, I've used a lower case 'g' in my contempt) given us a little more notice than we could have planned around it. Even today I still saw people in store not wearing masks. Who the hell is going to stop them? Certainly not the young girl who was marshalling everyone through the store.

As for police officer numbers, you are totally off your trolley. You DO realise that crime continues with or witout Covid but I do agree that the army should be bought in.

But

No government would go to the length of essentially cancelling Christmas if things weren't bad....

4 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

You've been in Thailand too long and shielded from reality.

For a start, major retailers are open and people are Christmas shopping albeit in a limited amount of shops. I had to get some food today at my local Tesco and the queue stretched around the carpark, took me 50 minutes to get in. It's pandamonium. Had the government (yes, I've used a lower case 'g' in my contempt) given us a little more notice than we could have planned around it. Even today I still saw people in store not wearing masks. Who the hell is going to stop them? Certainly not the young girl who was marshalling everyone through the store.

As for police officer numbers, you are totally off your trolley. You DO realise that crime continues with or witout Covid but I do agree that the army should be bought in.

But

No government would go to the length of essentially cancelling Christmas if things weren't bad....

How have I been shielded from reality? Everything was shut down here too - including air travel and land borders with other countries. People (tourists, foreigners in general) who wanted to go home to their home nations literally counldn't go home and were stuck here. Thai's abroad were shut out too - they couldn't come back. People were told to wear a mask or you couldn't enter a store (you still can't maskless). Temperature checks were (and are still made) also made before anyone entered a store.

What is that persons job? Bit sexist to claim they are all girls, (woman I think is the preferred terminology of an employed working female) I'm sure a lot of men (boys) are doing this. Is it to marshall; ensure the rules (masks, temp check & distancing) are enforced?  If it is, then these people should be fired and the job given to someone who takes a role as an essential worker seriously. It is essential to ensure everyone follows the rules.

I live in Ubon - a long long way away from Bangkok and those restrictions were - and some of them are - still in place. The army and police enforced a curfew at night. There were still people who broke it, but they were fined and/or put in prison for not following the rules. All non-essential workplaces were closed. Songkran - the 4 day Thai new year celebration - was cancelled - completely. Interprovincial travel was not allowed and buses etc were not operating.

Even after Thailand was declared COVID free, everyone still wore masks, and have been doing so for months. You still can't enter a 7/11 or shopping place without a mask on.

If anything, I would say it was more difficult in Thailand - not anymore due to social responsibility and harsh, but effective, measures at containing the virus. Bars, clubs and lot's of non-essential places were closed for three + months.

That may change since the border is a bit lacking in security and there is a recent cluster of infections - mostly migrant workers.

The UK needs to 'nut up' as it were. What's the problem with wearing a mask? All I see on the news is a lot of chin diapers, or people not bothering to wear a mask on their face at all. People going shopping for essential cookies. 

School kids told to wear masks on the schoolbus. Then you can take the mask off. Then you must wear the mask in the school corridors, but then you can take the mask off again in the classroom. You couldn't take a lunchbox to school, then you could.

Simple rules work best - wear a mask everywhere outside of your home. Don't leave the home.

People not wearing a mask should be named and shamed.

People going shopping for anything non-essential should be shamed too.

Take some responsibility people.