Hornet's Nest - Need To Get Rid Of It!

Greenside

A smallish band of Asian Hornets have decided to make their home within inches of the outside of our front door.  I had a similar problem a few years back and used a can of pesticide specially designed for wasp and hornets which could be applied from a distance.  That stuff was given to me so I don't know where it came from and I'm looking to get some without delay here in town.  HomePro and Global House only carry the usual cockroach, ant and mosquito killers.  Any ideas?

58 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

https://wtop.com/asia/2020/12/flamethrower-drone-incinerates-wasp-nests-in-china/

just be standing by the house with an extinguisher in case..

aha the drone is maybe an expensive idea for the OP

On a serious note i have seen how the thais deal with that

in the village, some old newspaper is put at the end of a long wood branch

then put the paper on fire and use it to burn the nest, for obvious safety reasons

the more long the wood branch is, the better, as you can stay at a good distance.

If it's a big nest and you don't have enough newspaper available

a piece of rag with a little bit of gasoline on it can works too

be careful when you put fire on it,  it can be quick with the gasoline.

Be sure the paper or the rag is well attached to the wood branch

(Use some wire for it)

And yes just in case keep a bucket of water near you, particularly if there 

is house's wood part near the nest.

good luck

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

aha the drone is maybe an expensive idea for the OP

On a serious note i have seen how the thais deal with that

in the village, some old newspaper is put at the end of a long wood branch

then put the paper on fire and use it to burn the nest, for obvious safety reasons

the more long the wood branch is, the better, as you can stay at a good distance.

If it's a big nest and you don't have enough newspaper available

a piece of rag with a little bit of gasoline on it can works too

be careful when you put fire on it,  it can be quick with the gasoline.

Be sure the paper or the rag is well attached to the wood branch

(Use some wire for it)

And yes just in case keep a bucket of water near you, particularly if there 

is house's wood part near the nest.

good luck

What could go wrong?

• Haha 2

If you are going to poke it with a stick, do it at night time

less chance of been stung, we got rid of a big nest under

the eves of our house,first time we got rid of half the nest,

but they had it rebuilt the next day,poked a rag soaked in

Chaindrite into the nest,had to do that a couple of more

times to get rid of them,then totally destroy the nest,if

you leave any behind they will rebuild.

We also have 2 bees nests around the house but we just

leave them alone,as they are not dangerous,and do good.

regards worgeordie

And what might that purpose be ??? Would it be to sting the s..t out of humans perhaps ??

51 minutes ago, bbudd said:

Wait till dark when there all quiet in the nest then just cover with a plastic bag

Close it tight and burn it-or just relocate them far away

After all they DO serve a purpose

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, wavodavo said:

And what might that purpose be ??? Would it be to sting the s..t out of humans perhaps ??

That's right, there was an article on them in last week's Economist and it seems their main purpose is to destroy honey bees and their nests. Like mosquitoes, they play their part in the ecosystem, but I'm not convinced that  humanity would miss them if they were extinct.

Back on topic: I had a hornet nest a few years ago. Not taking any chances with those bad boys, so I called my pest control guy who put on a special hornet-proof suit and sprayed the nest and then removed it. No more problems after that.

18 hours ago, Greenside said:

A smallish band of Asian Hornets have decided to make their home within inches of the outside of our front door.  I had a similar problem a few years back and used a can of pesticide specially designed for wasp and hornets which could be applied from a distance.  That stuff was given to me so I don't know where it came from and I'm looking to get some without delay here in town.  HomePro and Global House only carry the usual cockroach, ant and mosquito killers.  Any ideas?

Soak a rag in diesel fuel, put it next to the nest.. [don't smoke].

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

If you are going to poke it with a stick, do it at night time

less chance of been stung, we got rid of a big nest under

the eves of our house,first time we got rid of half the nest,

but they had it rebuilt the next day,poked a rag soaked in

Chaindrite into the nest,had to do that a couple of more

times to get rid of them,then totally destroy the nest,if

you leave any behind they will rebuild.

We also have 2 bees nests around the house but we just

leave them alone,as they are not dangerous,and do good.

regards worgeordie

A couple of comments below said the hornets are detrimental to honey bees , which are vital 

46 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

46 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

892446136_asianhornet.jpg.eb1867c6bd6caaeeec9ac5dcced0871c.jpg

Had one colony build a giant nest in a Longon tree 6 meters from where I am sitting now.

Over half a meter in diameter.

They never bothered us, or the honey bees we keep on the other side of the house

Edited by canthai55
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the suggestions.  A friend tried dowsing the nest from a distance with dishwashing liquid as per quite a few YouTube videos and it seems to have worked - at least they buggered off sufficiently far away that the nest could be got rid of and I wasn't anywhere near at the time so, all in all, a win.

Edited by Greenside

Horrified tourists saw Thai tour guide stung to death by giant wasps - which then feasted on his body for FOUR DAYS (thesun.co.uk)

Yours are surely not these giant Asian hornets, but Tiger wasps or another species.  BTW they are not all bad, they are natural pest predators, biological control agents. But it's inconvenient and sometimes dangerous to have them nest close to your home. 

The posts suggesting hiring a professional or enlisting locals to remove the nest is very good information to consider.

Pesticides sprayed in the outside of the nest will not contact a large percentage of the wasps, eggs and larvae inside. Repeated drenching may do it. 

If you can't find the 20 foot wasp spray, any termite, cockroach, ant insecticide will do the job. But not mosquito spray, its too diluted. 

Use one with an active ingredient of a pyrethroid, like permethrin, cypermethrin, alphacypermethrin, bifenthrin. Pyrethroids at the concentrations used for insect pests, are low toxicity for mammals - people and pets. 

Chaindrite Crack and Crevice (alphacypermethrin, bifinthrin)  aerosol will get you a few feet away. Drench the nest, at night if possible to avoid getting swarmed. Tiger wasps can seriously injure or kill a human. 

Bee's nests can provide a great service. Our nest is in a tree by our back fence where the neighbor has a small dog that used to be out yipping and yapping nonstop. Now they are afraid to let their dog out due to the bees and keep bugging my wife to get rid of the nest. She just replies that it would be bad luck to kill the bees.

• Haha 1