Amway Water Treatment System

Simbo

excuse my ignorance ,but i thought network marketing was a pyramid system ,as opposed to a pyramid scheme ,or is that the same thing ??now youve got me thinking !!!

The basic difference between the Pyramid scheme or system and Networlk marketing scheme or system is that, in a network marketing environment, products are purchased either directly from the company concerned, or from licenced agents and at fixed prices set by the company. The company pays a commission of part of the purchase price to the agents who make the sale or those who introduce the customer.

In a Pyramid, A will purchase from the company and sell to B, making a profit. B then sells to C and so on down the line until J is left with a very expensive piece of trash he can not sell on.

In general, network systems tend to have high quality goods, which sell at between 20% and 50% (or greater) discount than equivalent quality goods in the shops. They are able to make the savings because they spend next to nothing on marketing and advertising. They also have no "paid" sales force and no high costs as regards shelf space in retail outlets or wholesalers' margin.

Small point of semantics. Amway is a Network Marketing system, not Pyramid. There is a world of difference and Pyramid schemes are illegal in almost the entire known Universe.

It's a pyramid and was closed down and reopenned with a new name.

Scammed a lot of people.

Mr Vietnam

Small point of semantics. Amway is a Network Marketing system, not Pyramid. There is a world of difference and Pyramid schemes are illegal in almost the entire known Universe.

The difference is that a pyramid scheme is a scam from the get go and the product being sold is also often a scam product. A network marketing scheme is inded a pyramid but only a scam once the market is saturated by agents and they are still recruiting new agents who purchase products with little hope of selling what they have purchased and have little hope of recruiting themselves.

Amway is, for sure, one of the more ethical network marketing companies with good products, but there are still thousands of Thais who bought in when it was first introduced who lost their shirts because they got scammed.

Amway is not a get rich quick scheme except for the very first tier of people to get involved. But it is often sold as a get rich quick proposal when in fact it takes lots of work and lots of luck to be successful. The other downside of Amway is that sellers often lose many of their friends apart from fellow Amway sellers. In rural Thailand, to lose your social network is fraught with dangers.

The difference is that a pyramid scheme is a scam from the get go and the product being sold is also often a scam product. A network marketing scheme is inded a pyramid but only a scam once the market is saturated by agents and they are still recruiting new agents who purchase products with little hope of selling what they have purchased and have little hope of recruiting themselves.

Amway is, for sure, one of the more ethical network marketing companies with good products, but there are still thousands of Thais who bought in when it was first introduced who lost their shirts because they got scammed.

Amway is not a get rich quick scheme except for the very first tier of people to get involved. But it is often sold as a get rich quick proposal when in fact it takes lots of work and lots of luck to be successful. The other downside of Amway is that sellers often lose many of their friends apart from fellow Amway sellers. In rural Thailand, to lose your social network is fraught with dangers.

The vast majority of people become members of network schemes solely because they are enabled to purchase top quality products at well below the full retail cost of eqyuivalent products for sale in the open market place, shops etc.

10% or so of members seriously try to make a business from their network membership.

Almost no members "lose their shirts" because, in most schemes, members are either forbidden, or not encouraged to hold stock. Those who lose do not follow the rules.

The entire "raison d'etre" for the majority of schemes is to get high quality products onto the market at reasonable cost to the end user.

They also allow those who genuinely care to work to earn a good living. "Get rich quick?" Can be for those prepared to put in the hours to learn and apply honest effort to the business. "Get rich easily?" No.

To talk about market saturation is also misleading. This will never occur with the best companies because the market is subject to constant change and the good company will always adjust the range of products offered to take this into account. It will however become more difficult over time to start a new business in network marketing, but the "raison d'etre" remains to get top quality products to the consumer for good value prices.

At home we use products from several different network companies, not because we are trying to make money from them, but because the quality and pricing are such that we genuinely save money.

If anybody would care to get involved in a good quality network company, please drop me a line. I believe I can give advice on some of the best companies operating at present in Thailand.

• 1 year later...

This is a post I put on over a year ago. I was directed to Amways outlet in Chonburi, where I purchased a new filter and tubing. The system is, you have to join at a cost of 150 baht, I think. They will then sell what you require at a discounted price. They sell all manner of things.

As Thaipauly says, they are very good. Nice and compact. Nothing is on show, just a tidy white box on the wall. Some water filters, in fact most, are ugly looking monstrocities. Long live Amway. :o

In a Pyramid, A will purchase from the company and sell to B, making a profit. B then sells to C and so on down the line until J is left with a very expensive piece of trash he can not sell on.
And Amway is different... how?

"Say... would you like to go to a business meeting with me?"

excuse my ignorance ,but i thought network marketing was a pyramid system ,as opposed to a pyramid scheme ,or is that the same thing ??now youve got me thinking !!!

The basic difference between the Pyramid scheme or system and Networlk marketing scheme or system is that, in a network marketing environment, products are purchased either directly from the company concerned, or from licenced agents and at fixed prices set by the company. The company pays a commission of part of the purchase price to the agents who make the sale or those who introduce the customer.

In general, network systems tend to have high quality goods, which sell at between 20% and 50% (or greater) discount than equivalent quality goods in the shops. They are able to make the savings because they spend next to nothing on marketing and advertising. They also have no "paid" sales force and no high costs as regards shelf space in retail outlets or wholesalers' margin.

This type of logic must absolutely be from a representative of an "Amway" product :o

Amway sell a lot of products that are also available in supermarkets. The Amway prices are about the same or even slightly higher. There is no great discount to be had.

I like the line about the agents losing all their friends. I think this is the biggest problem with the system.

I've been using the Amway espring filter for a few months now with no problems. I think an American corporation like Amway would be very careful about selling a product which is not safe considering the US litigation laws. You can check out more details at www.espring.com (the same model as Amway are selling here).

One agent was once here, had an air cleaning system for us.

Costs 40.000 Baht, we borrowed it for a week and my staff and I sepparate it.

It was a cheap airfilter (not active coal or something like that)+a fan. Made in China.

Fan: 200 Baht

Airfilter: 200 Baht

nice housing: 300 Baht

some useless electronic: 150 Baht

Total: 850 Baht sold for 40.000 makes 4700 % profit. I think there is some space to share with the network partner. Maybe its possible to produce even cheaper in China.

Amway sell a lot of products that are also available in supermarkets. The Amway prices are about the same or even slightly higher. There is no great discount to be had.

I like the line about the agents losing all their friends. I think this is the biggest problem with the system.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Amway was started in Michigan, US. They are operating under the watchful eyes of the gov't because of fraud, and I think the paramid scheme had something to do with it; hence, they started selling outside of usa and became successful. :o not sure though

I do know thar They have an unfavorable reputation here, so I wouldn't trust them

Amway sell a lot of products that are also available in supermarkets.  The Amway prices are about the same or even slightly higher.  There is no great discount to be had.

I like the line about the agents losing all their friends.  I think this is the biggest problem with the system.

All amway products I have come across are priced by magnitudes higher than the brand name/supermarket equivalent (or superior) product.

B300-400 for half a liter of low quality dishwashing liquid (that they recommend people to dilute - even concentrated it is lower quality than Sunlite etc). As a comparison, 20 liter tank of ordinary dishwashing liquid (that will last years in most households) costs B499 at tesco Lotus.

Amway charges B10k something for their reverse osmosis water cleaner when a similar system but with the capability to process larger volumes of water costs half at Emporium, Central or Lotus.

Amway is a pyramid game and a scam if you ask me. JMHO

Edited by lingling

• 1 year later...

This type of logic must absolutely be from a representative of an "Amway" product :o

i have been speaking to my girlfriend and she was telling me of a company,giffarine cosmetics, the way it works is she was recruited by a cousin and she hasto recruit more people to go higher in the company and become a team leader. it cost her 160baht to join the company and heres the best bit she was told that while she works for them she is covered by a life insurance policy and if she dies her son gets a lump of money, if she goes higher in the company she is covered for accidents. i asked if she talked to anyone who was covered by this policy.she was shown a handicapped man who couldnt communicate but was wearing a gifferarine t shirt. to keep the life policy going she has to buy 300baht of cosmetics every month.this seems like a good way to bleed small ammounts of money off lots of poor people over a long time :D she is at bronze star level with ambitions to go up to gold.i have toldher this is almost certainly a pyramid scheme so she is now on guard for requests for more money. also this company sells water filters. has anybody else heard of this company? all info appreciated

Just google amway +scams. Hope you've got a few hours to read.

Man there is definitely one born every minute... :o:D:D

You said it pepe, read and learn. I sometimes interpret for foreign guests at their seminars so I know the plot. Nothing is cheap from them and it's commission only selling.