Been away from Phuket for 3 years...what's it like now ???

WingFat

Hello All--

I previously lived and worked in Thailand in Phuket and Bangkok from 2005-2011. Then returned to my home country for a contract work assignment that turned into living and working there until 2017. I then returned to Phuket to retire, then a few months later, my old company wanted me to return for a contract project, which morphed into another contract. At the conclusion of those contracts, I was preparing to return to Phuket to do Retirement 2.0. Then my daughter and son-in-law announced "they" were pregnant with twin girls, and my daughter really wanted me to stay close to properly fulfill my role as Grandpa. So I stayed in the US and found a pleasant location nearby to retire and strive to be a respectable Grandpa...so far so good.

However, I do wish to return to Phuket for an extended vacation at some point when the covid thing subsides and int'l travel becomes a bit easier.

Can some of you be kind enough to apprise me what the "vibe" in Phuket is at this time; i.e., are the gyms open, how's the nightlife, restaurants, street food vendors, and anything else you would like to comment on concerning how things are now compared to how they were 3 years ago.

Much appreciated,

WingFat

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, WingFat said:

Hello All--

I previously lived and worked in Thailand in Phuket and Bangkok from 2005-2011. Then returned to my home country for a contract work assignment that turned into living and working there until 2017. I then returned to Phuket to retire, then a few months later, my old company wanted me to return for a contract project, which morphed into another contract. At the conclusion of those contracts, I was preparing to return to Phuket to do Retirement 2.0. Then my daughter and son-in-law announced "they" were pregnant with twin girls, and my daughter really wanted me to stay close to properly fulfill my role as Grandpa. So I stayed in the US and found a pleasant location nearby to retire and strive to be a respectable Grandpa...so far so good.

However, I do wish to return to Phuket for an extended vacation at some point when the covid thing subsides and int'l travel becomes a bit easier.

Can some of you be kind enough to apprise me what the "vibe" in Phuket is at this time; i.e., are the gyms open, how's the nightlife, restaurants, street food vendors, and anything else you would like to comment on concerning how things are now compared to how they were 3 years ago.

Much appreciated,

WingFat

My current estimate of activity levels:

Patong-

Bangla 15% normal

Nanai 30% normal

Rest of Patong 5% normal

Kata and Karon- 5% normal

kamala- 45% normal

Phuket Town- 70% normal

Cant comment on the rest of the island.

Edited by ChasingTheSun
  • Sad 2

Dead and it will get "deadder". (I know, bad grammar).

While it is nice to not see Chinese spitting everywhere and pushing you to get to the front of a line, there is hunger locally and now with the xenophobic attitudes towards the Burmese, it ain't a pretty place to be.

Traffic better but surly faces, many not wearing masks and prices are up.

• Like 1

I'm sunning myself at Mai Khow Beach as I write...the island is dead, especially midweek (how dead...Bill Bently  Pub at Turtle Village is offering 50% discount on lunch). Quiet as heck is you like solitude and the cheapest hotel rates in my lifetime. The taxi mafia still charges B400 to go 8 km from airport to Mai Khow however. 

• Like 1

Phuket if ur living here , is the best its been in 20 years!!
no crowds, no traffic jams, beaches pristine

Perfect time to be here

Been here since 85,  of course once it reopens and tourists can slowly come back.... its still going to be nice.   The island is experiencing Building fever, even this year....

of course Patong, Karon, Kata are ghost towns

kamala- 45% normal

Phuket Town- 70% normal

totally disagree

Phuket town 85% open

Kamala 75% open

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Phuket if ur living here , is the best its been in 20 years!!
no crowds, no traffic jams, beaches pristine

Perfect time to be here

Been here since 85,  of course once it reopens and tourists can slowly come back.... its still going to be nice.   The island is experiencing Building fever, even this year....

of course Patong, Karon, Kata are ghost towns

totally disagree

Phuket town 85% open

Kamala 75% open

Gazing at Mai Khow Beach from the airport to the north tip of the beach and see maybe 2 dozen people...is this normal?

On 12/22/2020 at 11:30 PM, ChasingTheSun said:

My current estimate of activity levels:

Patong-

Bangla 15% normal

Nanai 30% normal

Rest of Patong 5% normal

Kata and Karon- 5% normal

kamala- 45% normal

Phuket Town- 70% normal

Cant comment on the rest of the island.

I am very happy reading such nice information from a person that can esimate at a level like this. The only little thing that buggers me, like an old can of mayo in the cooler, is what are you coming from and what is the base as well as the ground foundation for such a fountain of knowledge?

2 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

I am very happy reading such nice information from a person that can esimate at a level like this. The only little thing that buggers me, like an old can of mayo in the cooler, is what are you coming from and what is the base as well as the ground foundation for such a fountain of knowledge?

Your welcome.

Its based on estimates of activity levels(tourist numbers, traffic, retail/fnb openings) same time 2019 vs 2020.

Don’t hesitate to ask if you need more information.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Your welcome.

Its based on estimates of activity levels(tourist numbers, traffic, retail/fnb openings) same time 2019 vs 2020.

Don’t hesitate to ask if you need more information.

Thanks! I will surely do, if something comes up. ????

Also thank you for letting me know that your hobby is to collect activity statistics for comparision between years. All to ones own, as we say!

On 12/23/2020 at 5:55 AM, Somtamnication said:

While it is nice to not see Chinese spitting everywhere and pushing you to get to the front of a line

A bit xenophobic are we?

On 12/23/2020 at 5:55 AM, Somtamnication said:

, there is hunger locally and now with the xenophobic attitudes towards the Burmese, it ain't a pretty place to be.

Ok.

Pot, kettle, black. 

if the OP isn’t Chinese or Burmese then he should be alright then. 

Phuket is mostly closed, even many 7/11s, pharmacies, restaurants, hotels, money changers, shops etc. 

But by the time you arrive it will have kicked off again.

46 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

A bit xenophobic are we?

Ok.

Pot, kettle, black. 

if the OP isn’t Chinese or Burmese then he should be alright then. 

Phuket is mostly closed, even many 7/11s, pharmacies, restaurants, hotels, money changers, shops etc. 

But by the time you arrive it will have kicked off again.

phuket is NOT mostly closed,  Only Patong, Kaorn, kata, Bang tao >are dead
rest of the island and phuket town its like low season,
its beautiful here now

see no problems with the Burmese here

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

phuket is NOT mostly closed,  Only Patong, Kaorn, kata, Bang tao >are dead
rest of the island and phuket town its like low season,
its beautiful here now

see no problems with the Burmese here

Sorry, you are correct, but since he is a westerner I assumed he was asking about those areas popular with westerners and businesses that cater to westerners which are mostly shuttered up. Many schools have shut early for the holidays since the latest covid case also. 

Add Mai Kao to your list. Worse than the 4 you mentioned. 

I also agree with you about no problems with the Burmese. Some Thais are wary of them currently, a bit like they were wary of Chinese in March, but the Thais I know are blaming our dear friends at Immigration for the current covid outbreak more than the Burmese themselves.

• 2 months later...

Been here for 12 months, initial WFH, without leaving the island, during Covid, in my Kata Hill pool villa, with full support. 

Everything still here, just in reduced form which for Traffic, Tourists, Beaches, Hotels, Capital Buys etc.

is Great !