Recommendation For Usb Stick

Uncle_Ho

Uncle_Ho - You may have a problem finding a truly ReadyBoost compatable USB Flash Drive in the shops, as I believe the first such unit (by Edge Tech Corp) only began shipments 2 weeks ago and Sandisk's Cruzer Contour won't be available until later this month. Undoubtly, other makes will be available soon.

While some older flash drives will work with ReadyBoost, whichever unit you select (old or new) should be checked before buying, using Vista's ReadyBoost test utility, to make sure the drive meets minimum requirements.

More info here.

waldwolf

I just ordered online from SanDisk Thailand a 4GB Cruzer Micro U3 flash drive and pleasantly surprised with the built in features. The package says "Enhanced for Windows ReadyBoost" so they are now available in Thailand. More on the features from their English language site:

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1450

The currently available U3 software > http://u3.sandisk.com/download/Download_no.asp (Skype comes pre-installed with other apps).

Sandisk Thailand with on-line ordering > http://www.sandiskthailand.com/product/detail.php?id=60

Also from the link that Waldwolf supplied:

"The runner-up in the speed trials was a SanDisk Cruzer 2GB flash drive, provided by Microsoft as part of its Windows Vista Launch Kit for press visitors at CES. It passed with excellent scores: random read speed of 5407 KB/sec, sequential write speed 3701 KB/sec."

I just bought a 4GB Transcend flash stick for BHT 1850

It has read / write speeds of 10/8MB/sec, good enough for ReadyBoost.

I also saw one high end Kingston (I think) stick for 3900 Baht that boasted 28/15MB/s read/write.

They are not that easy to find but they are out there. Rule of thumb is, if the speed is not listed in large letters in the front, it's going to be sloooooow. :o

HDTune says the stick has a max. throughput of 16MB/s - minimum of 15MB/s. Which is pretty good. Max. is not has good as my hard disk (40MB) but min is way better... and seek times should be close to zero.

Whilst it's not with Readyboost i'm sure it fits the spec but I'm using one of those Sandisk Microdrive 2gb. The ones with the retractable connector. That's what I use as an emergency boot drive for my Macbook Pro. So I boot from that over USB and run Disk Utility etc whenever needed.

Readyboost just requires certain access speeds. I forget which ones exactly but just look at the specs.

I'm sure there a cheaper Apacer that will work but I'd stick with Sandisk.

Guys,

going to pantip tomorrow .. just wondering which brand of usb stick - 2 gig - to buy for vista readyboost.. dont wanna risk buying and then finds out it doesnt work with readyboost.

thanks