Australian Man Found Dead In Chiang Mai

george

Australian man found dead in Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI: -- A 38-year-old Australian tourist was found dead inside a condominium room in this northern city late Tuesday night, police said.

The body of Ian Dyer Malcolm was found inside his rented room in the SN Residence in Muang district at about half an hour past midnight.

A used syringe was found near his right hand.

Ruangchai Srichai, 54, a security officer of the condominium, told police that he did not see the Australian man for three days so he knocked his room but nobody answered. He opened the room and found that the man's body.

Police said Malcom might have been killed by heroin overdose.

-- The Nation 2007-05-09

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australian man found dead in Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI: -- A 38-year-old Australian tourist was found dead inside a condominium room in this northern city late Tuesday night, police said.

The body of Ian Dyer Malcolm was found inside his rented room in the SN Residence in Muang district at about half an hour past midnight.

A used syringe was found near his right hand.

Ruangchai Srichai, 54, a security officer of the condominium, told police that he did not see the Australian man for three days so he knocked his room but nobody answered. He opened the room and found that the man's body.

Police said Malcom might have been killed by heroin overdose.

-- The Nation 2007-05-09

Any clarification on the killed by heroin overdose, as in murdered, or died from heroin overdose, self induced....

Any clarification on the killed by heroin overdose, as in murdered, or died from heroin overdose, self induced....

I must admit that, due to my high paranoia, this is my phobia.

You have 2 ways to "delete" a person in Thailand, with very low risk, and low cost.

-put drugs into his lugages, his appartment, whatever. Easy to do, no trace, 100 % efficiency.

-kill him with a good shoot of pure heroine. Again, no trace, 105 % efficiency.

In both case, the thai police/law system will go to the easiest way : you are a drug dealer, or you were a drug user.

Case closed.

Edited by cclub75

You have 2 ways to "delete" a person in Thailand, with very low risk, and low cost.

-put drugs into his lugages, his appartment, whatever. Easy to do, no trace, 100 % efficiency.

In both case, the thai police/law system will go to the easiest way : you are a drug dealer, or you were a drug user.

Case closed.

would make an interesting TV series. C.S.I. Thailand

Case closed.

Although as nothing ever gets solved here you would need about 5000 episodes.. Boring..

Australian man found dead in Thai city

A 38-year-old Australian man found dead in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai is believed to have died from a drug overdose, police say.

The man, from Albany in Western Australia, was found in a rented condominium by a security guard who investigated the room after the man failed to appear for three days.

Ambulance officers found his body on Tuesday night.

Thai police sources said bags of white powder - suspected to be heroin - were found with a syringe and other utensils close to the body.

Tests will be carried out on the powder and a post mortem conducted.

Chiang Mai, 800 kilometres north from Bangkok, lies within the infamous Golden Triangle of Thailand, Burma and Laos, and is second only to Afghanistan as the world's largest producer of opium and heroin.

Officials says many Australian heroin users die in Thailand from overdoses because of the higher purity of the heroin.

Up to 80 per cent of the illegal heroin imported into Australia is sourced from the Golden Triangle.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald - 09 May 2007

Case closed.

Although as nothing ever gets solved here you would need about 5000 episodes.. Boring..

No way mate - opening 10 minutes of the program is the person being killed/attacked/raped/kidnapped then we have a 5 minute break for commercials about shampoo (3 brands) and toothpaste (2 brands) The program then starts up with the detectives at the scene. They look around and remove anything of value for "evidence" and then pronounce that the culprits are southern extremists bent on secceding from Thailand and spreading their lies and hatred across the kingdom - case closed and time for more ads about chicken soup in a jar, panty liners, and more toothpaste. Back to the CSI Thailand and after divying up the loot - sorry evidence - everyone has time to head off to karaoke and a few drinks. This would be a hit and based on real life which makes it more believable.

:o

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

Case closed.

No way mate - opening 10 minutes of the program is the person being killed/attacked/raped/kidnapped then we have a 5 minute break for commercials about shampoo (3 brands) and toothpaste (2 brands) The program then starts up with the detectives at the scene. They look around and remove anything of value for "evidence" and then pronounce that the culprits are southern extremists bent on secceding from Thailand and spreading their lies and hatred across the kingdom - case closed and time for more ads about chicken soup in a jar, panty liners, and more toothpaste. Back to the CSI Thailand and after divying up the loot - sorry evidence - everyone has time to head off to karaoke and a few drinks. This would be a hit and based on real life which makes it more believable.

:o

CB

You forgot the whitening cream commercials.. C'mon mate, get with it..

Chiang Mai, 800 kilometres north from Bangkok, lies within the infamous Golden Triangle of Thailand, Burma and Laos, and is second only to Afghanistan as the world's largest producer of opium and heroin.

Sydney Morning Herald - 09 May 2007

Um.... no it doesn't :o

If I am reading this sentence correctly, the news story is saying Chiang Mai is the worlds 2nd largest producer of opium and heroin.

Maybe I am hanging out in the wrong places or maybe I don't know the right people but after a year of living in Chiang Mai, I have never seen anything to lead me to believe that Chiang Mai is the worlds 2nd largest producer of opium and heroin.

If I am reading this sentence correctly, the news story is saying Chiang Mai is the worlds 2nd largest producer of opium and heroin.

Maybe I am hanging out in the wrong places or maybe I don't know the right people but after a year of living in Chiang Mai, I have never seen anything to lead me to believe that Chiang Mai is the worlds 2nd largest producer of opium and heroin.

golden triangle of burma/laos/northern thailand is the large producer... There is a lot of opium floating around CM though...

I've seen western papers run stories from northern Isaan featuring pictures of golden sandy beaches so this is par for the course. :o

I've seen western papers run stories from northern Isaan featuring pictures of golden sandy beaches so this is par for the course. :o

Yup agreed on that one, duff info thats twenty years or so out of date. Back when the Karen and other hill tribes were cultivating the stuff a lot more then maybe so, but this is 2007 not 1977. The good thing is that the semi-dodgy news report may put off the influx of travellers/tourists into the North of Thailand.

Feel sorry for the aussie dudes family, something sounds wrong about him drugging himself like that. He rents a condo, then does that? Doesn't feel right somehow and I suspect foulplay.

They've taken the story out of "The Nation" or "BKK Post" then some third rate scribbler had padded it up with thirty year old files. Embarrassing journalism.

Yup agreed on that one, duff info thats twenty years or so out of date. Back when the Karen and other hill tribes were cultivating the stuff a lot more then maybe so, but this is 2007 not 1977. The good thing is that the semi-dodgy news report may put off the influx of travellers/tourists into the North of Thailand.

Feel sorry for the aussie dudes family, something sounds wrong about him drugging himself like that. He rents a condo, then does that? Doesn't feel right somehow and I suspect foulplay.

I don't suspect any foul play here. It sounds like an Aussie got a pack of heroin that was stronger than he thought it was. Sad story, but no big deal.

I've seen western papers run stories from northern Isaan featuring pictures of golden sandy beaches so this is par for the course. :D

I don't suspect any foul play here. It sounds like an Aussie got a pack of heroin that was stronger than he thought it was. Sad story, but no big deal.

What if it was a "hot dose" (tainted)..Is that still no big deal..I can't believe you said that ajarn. :o

I've seen western papers run stories from northern Isaan featuring pictures of golden sandy beaches so this is par for the course. :D

What if it was a "hot dose" (tainted)..Is that still no big deal..I can't believe you said that ajarn. :o

Because I've been living here for 22 years, I guess.. It's clearly (to me) exactly the way the news have reported it. Not a big deal here at all. Common doings in Thailand...

Are you angry because you're an Aussie? Get over it, is my suggestion.

Because I've been living here for 22 years, I guess.. It's clearly (to me) exactly the way the news have reported it. Not a big deal here at all. Common doings in Thailand...

As an Aussie and not aswering for AussieThaid my reply would be:

1) the guy is dead - that is a pity

2) the guy is dead as a result of taking an illegal drug - heroin

3) If he died as a result of an overdose due to the fact he was not used to the increased potency or the adulteration of the drug that is a pity

4) If he was killed by someone who fed him an overdose that is murder

5) If he was killed by someone and they get away with it that is not good

6) My sympathy goes to his family irrespective of his nationality

7) I have no sympathy for him irrespective of his nationality

CB

Not angry at all. I guess we should all just believe what we read in the news then.. Thats the easy way out..

Not angry at all. I guess we should all just believe what we read in the news then.. Thats the easy way out..

Yes, that's true, but what choice do you have??

Either what's been reported, or your own fantasy...

I'll take the fantasy over a Thai news report any day. Remember the Kirsty Jones farce ?? Still no verdict. So i would assume this case will be handled in the same disgraceful manner..

Doesn't matter if it's in Melbourne, Vancouver or Chiang Mai. Junkies that are used to garbage get hold of something pure and they off themselves. Happens a lot. They could test it first but these people aren't exactly the poster children for responsible behaviour.

Accidents happen much more often than murders.

I'll take the fantasy over a Thai news report any day. Remember the Kirsty Jones farce ?? Still no verdict. So i would assume this case will be handled in the same disgraceful manner..

Yes, I remember that case, and I think that the news reports were fair and accurate to a large degree...That is the point being discussed here, isn't it? I have never made a comment regarding "a verdict" by police...

They've taken the story out of "The Nation" or "BKK Post" then some third rate scribbler had padded it up with thirty year old files. Embarrassing journalism.

Burma/Myanmar is the second largest producer of Opium. They are however a very distant second place. Their Meth amphetamine production has increased of late while Opium has decreased.

http://www.state.gov/p/inl/rls/nrcrpt/2006.../html/62110.htm

Burma

I. Summary

Burma is the world’s second largest producer of illicit opium, accounting for more than 90 percent of Southeast Asian heroin. Even so, Burma has just a small share of worldwide heroin, given Afghanistan’s exceptionally large opium/heroin production. Burma is also a primary source of amphetamine-type stimulants (ATS) in Asia. Annual production of opium has declined over the past ten years and is now at less than 20 percent of mid-1990 peak levels. In 2005, Burma produced an estimated 380 metric tons of opium, less than eight percent of the opium produced in Afghanistan. Burma’s opium poppy is grown predominantly in the "Golden Triangle" border region of Shan State in areas near the borders of China, Laos, and Thailand that are controlled by former insurgent groups (less than one percent of Burma’s poppy crop is grown outside of Shan State).

Cultivation by ethnic Wa hill tribesmen along the Chinese border accounts for 40 percent of Burma’s total poppy crop, down from 55 percent in 2004. The decline in that area was accompanied by a resurgence in poppy cultivation in southern and eastern Shan State. Nonetheless, major Wa traffickers continue to operate with impunity and the government has been unable or unwilling to curb drug activities conducted by the United Wa State Political Leadership (UWSP) a criminal group controlling the United Wa State Army (UWSA), which is primarily responsible for criminal activities such as heroin/ATS production in Wa territories. The UWSA announced in June 2005 a total ban on poppy cultivation and opium production and trafficking, but UWSA noncompliance with that announced ban and involvement in methamphetamine production and trafficking remain serious concerns. In January 2005, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York unsealed federal indictments against seven UWSA leaders for conspiracy to possess, manufacture, or distribute heroin and methamphetamine.

During the 2005 drug certification process, the USG determined that Burma was one of only two countries in the world (the other was Venezuela) that had "failed demonstrably" to meet international counternarcotics obligations.

Thai news reports, if you take them as gospel you really need to start feeling the bumps on your head. I take them all with a pinch of salt because that is what they are simply news reports. Nobody knows what happened here and speculation one way or the other is pointless.

My sympathy goes to his family.

nobody deserves to die because they're a junkie.

Nobody deserves to die.

Punished if they've done wrong.

Fortunately we're not all red-neck armchair-kick-ass-I'm-a-tough-guy American fools.

Loaded I don't think anyone including me said he deserves to die. Perhaps you will point to the post where this statement was made.

I know some of the posters on this forum and none are red-neck armchair-kick-ass-I'm-a-tough-guy American Fool. You statement makes no sense in view of the evidence to the contrary.

CB

Thai news reports, if you take them as gospel you really need to start feeling the bumps on your head. I take them all with a pinch of salt because that is what they are simply news reports. Nobody knows what happened here and speculation one way or the other is pointless.

My sympathy goes to his family.

Agreed, 100% :D