Thai Immigration offices remain open despite new restrictions

Thai Immigration offices remain open despite new restrictions

IMMI.jpg

File photo for reference only

Immigration offices in Thailand remain open and expats are reminded they still need to complete 90 day reports and extension of stay renewals.

As of Monday, Thailand announced a host of new restrictions in 28 provinces nationwide. 

The restrictions see a number of businesses and locations closed. However, government offices, including Immigration, are to remain open.

Unlike the first wave restrictions announced in March last year, Immigration offices remain open and there is no visa amnesty in place this time round. 

Therefore, foreigners in Thailand are still required to submit 90 day reports, complete visa/extension of stay applications or renewals, or any other immigration related procedures.

Where possible expats are recommended to complete a 90 day report online, via the mobile app or  by post. Instructions on this can be found here: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1155936-how-to-do-90-day-reporting-online-and-by-post/

If you do need to visit your local immigration office, make sure you are wearing a mask, follow  the social distancing and screening measures in place and allow extra time for processing.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-04

I smell another amnesty soon!

Perhaps this will finally convince immigration to move everything online and start to reduce the amount of time we spend in these Bhudda/God/pick your deity forsaken places.

It always takes a long time to get extensions done - I've never spent less than an hour in Ubon immigration for even a 30 day tourist extension. My last COVID one took an hour and a half - and despite lot's of folks waiting outside, there was only one officer proccessing these extensions, and I was the only one inside the office. There's a big sign outside saying these extensions take no more than 20 mins. I call BS on that. 

I have done 90 days many times online, quick and easy. Today however I got the message after the first step that I needed to contact the immigration office. Different browsers, no VPN, tried a few things without success. Finally sent the documents by mail.

Archived