Street Map Of Cm

lotus eater

When once I first moved to a big european city (London and Paris being two examples) I found it helpful to have a detailed and clear street map pinned up on the bag of the kitchen door. Chiang Mai is a small place by comparison, but I'd really like to get hold of something similar - just the central area (mueng? is that what one calls it?) - 18 inches square, in english, in colour and complete as to streets/soi s. Have already looked in bookshops in carrefour.

Can anyone help me something like this?

I personally use the B & B City Streets map. Title is "Chiang Mai City Center Map, 1: 13,000". It is laminated, and on back side has expanded coverage of Chiang Mai Province. It is not super detailed with the name of every soi, but it does the job. I bought it at Gecko Books for 189 baht. Hope this helps. :o

Nothing beats the BIG MAP. It has streets past the second ring road where as most stop around the superhighway. I received a free copy of the map but I have seen it in a few stores around town. Frankly nothing compares to it.

I keep harping on this but the new ThinkNet map is excellent. It's CD-ROM based and covers to the soi level for the entire province of Chiang Mai, along with Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Lamphun, and Lampang. The package also comes with a paper sheet map of Chiang Mai town that covers pretty every soi out to the middle ring road. I don't think this ThinkNet sheet map is really what the OP is looking for though. My vote for what best covers the initial inquiry best is also the laminated B&B map that mcgriffith suggested.

Nothing beats the BIG MAP. It has streets past the second ring road where as most stop around the superhighway. I received a free copy of the map but I have seen it in a few stores around town. Frankly nothing compares to it.

I keep harping on this but the new ThinkNet map is excellent. It's CD-ROM based and covers to the soi level for the entire province of Chiang Mai, along with Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Lamphun, and Lampang. The package also comes with a paper sheet map of Chiang Mai town that covers pretty every soi out to the middle ring road. I don't think this ThinkNet sheet map is really what the OP is looking for though. My vote for what best covers the initial inquiry best is also the laminated B&B map that mcgriffith suggested.

I have the ThinkNet map for Thailand but wasn't aware that they had released the new one for CM - where did you get it?

Concur with the B&B City Map - there are two options which cover CM but I use the CM 1:13000 City Centre Map which is good.

CB

I have the ThinkNet map for Thailand but wasn't aware that they had released the new one for CM - where did you get it?

I picked up mine at the big bookstore on the ground floor of Carrefour, but I've seen them elsewhere. Saw copies yesterday at the little bookstore inside the new Lotus Express in Sansai. Really hard to go wrong with this ThinkNet map: covers all five provinces down to the soi level and sells for 299 baht! :o

I picked up mine at the big bookstore on the ground floor of Carrefour, but I've seen them elsewhere. Saw copies yesterday at the little bookstore inside the new Lotus Express in Sansai. Really hard to go wrong with this ThinkNet map: covers all five provinces down to the soi level and sells for 299 baht! :o

Thanks very much - I like their format and really wanted the CM one so will pick up a copy on the weekend

CB

Thank you for the very helpful replies. The B&B map does sound right - I'll check it out at Gecko's.

I recently bought the Thinknet map book (550 baht) for Thailand; but that's for a different purpose.

If you go up to the one near Taphae Gate say hello to the fat old American up there :o - he's mostly harmless and knows most of us on this forum

CB

"Fat"- no way! I like to think he looks "Prosperous"!

"Old"?- he's a spring chicken compared to most of the people on this forum...

As for "Harmless", don't know about that one either after witnessing him in action at John's Place with the Campari-shirted John's Girls.

And don't forget- former US Marine- uh rah :o

Mostly harmless. Dear old Douggie will be spinning in his grave at the thought of his description of the Earth now being used to quantify just one of its, (most illustrious,) citizens.

Mostly harmless. Dear old Douggie will be spinning in his grave at the thought of his description of the Earth now being used to quantify just one of its, (most illustrious,) citizens.

Was he referring to Earth the planet or the people - I still think it is one of the best descriptions of this planet and a brilliant book.

CB

Fat?

That is the last time that I try to hussle Crow Boy some free gay action at the Peak! :o

Sorry to disapoint you but I did my 15 years in the military not navy so much as I have friends who are straight, gay, bisexual, transgender, transvestite and any other I am happily in the hetero side of the scale.

In a vain attempt to get this back on topic - does the new electronic map show the bar areas of Chiang Mai?

CB

Was he referring to Earth the planet or the people - I still think it is one of the best descriptions of this planet and a brilliant book.

CB

It came from Ford's much edited down description of the planet Earth in the newer version of the guide, replacing the previous description, "Harmless."

Think I'll look in on this too - maybe at b299 I'll even buy it. (Though as I mentioned I already bought the thinknet thailand road maps book. ) I presume they do these electronic maps for other thai provinces too.

But the p&p one will be a useful supplement for the car.

I presume they do these electronic maps for other thai provinces too.

ThinkNet has CD-ROM based maps for several other Thai provinces including Bangkok (see their website). Their new Chiang Mai map covers the largest area geographically of anything they've released thus far. It seemed to me as though they were concentrating on the smaller provinvces (e.g. Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Phuket) so I wasn't realistically expecting that they would take on something as ambitious as Chiang Mai.

Thank you for the very helpful replies. The B&B map does sound right - I'll check it out at Gecko's.

I recently bought the Thinknet map book (550 baht) for Thailand; but that's for a different purpose.

If you go up to the one near Taphae Gate say hello to the fat old American up there :o - he's mostly harmless and knows most of us on this forum

CB

CB

I went to Gecko's main branch on chang moi kao road and found neither the laminated b&b map (though they had other, bigger, folding maps) nor the american gentleman (only a couple of thai girls.

Should I try another specific branch?

Sorry, as far as as I know, the LAMINATED B&B map is out of print and the partnership has dissolved.

We have a new non-laminated map by one partner.

The fat guy is ALWAYS in the main branch near Thapae Road and das Stephanos restaurant - mornings and especially evenings. Boots is at the beginning of the soi. Did you go in the afternoon?

:o

Edited by Ulysses G.

• 2 weeks later...

ThinkNet has CD-ROM based maps for several other Thai provinces including Bangkok (see their website). Their new Chiang Mai map covers the largest area geographically of anything they've released thus far. It seemed to me as though they were concentrating on the smaller provinvces (e.g. Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Phuket) so I wasn't realistically expecting that they would take on something as ambitious as Chiang Mai.

i bought the thinknet map/cd pack at 299 baht at carrefour. however it doesn't run on my apple ibook - although it has 'office for mac' installed. (the thinknet pack says it's "designed for microsoft windows"). if someone uses this on a mac and would spoon feed me (a computor semi-literate) some instructions on how to do it, i would be deeply grateful - not to mention in his debt to the tune of 299 baht.

Sorry, as far as as I know, the LAMINATED B&B map is out of print and the partnership has dissolved.

The fat guy is ALWAYS in the main branch near Thapae Road and das Stephanos restaurant - mornings and especially evenings. Boots is at the beginning of the soi. Did you go in the afternoon?

well i really did go to that gecko's branch and, though i can't absolutely vouch for it now, it would indeed have in the afternoon - i seldom go to town voluntarily before noon. but thanks for the info about the b&b. if i can't get the thinknet problem resolved, i'll be back to look at alternative maps.

well i really did go to that gecko's branch and, though i can't absolutely vouch for it now, it would indeed have in the afternoon - i seldom go to town voluntarily before noon. but thanks for the info about the b&b. if i can't get the thinknet problem resolved, i'll be back to look at alternative maps.

Frequently meet said phat guy in the ante meridiem. I'm almost never there in the eve, but I do know the post meridiem period is reserved for working on the famed waistline.

• 2 weeks later...

FIKO Software in CM has the best map of CM which is amazin 1:2500 - its available in digital format using their DWPRaster GIVE WAY software for PC's, but they also sell this on vinyle printouts. Grate product but the software is 1,800 Baht though but works with NMEA GPS receiver.

FIKO Software in CM has the best map of CM which is amazin 1:2500 - its available in digital format using their DWPRaster GIVE WAY software for PC's, but they also sell this on vinyle printouts. Grate product but the software is 1,800 Baht though but works with NMEA GPS receiver.

You should check out the new ThinkNet map. It zooms to a maximum of 1:2000, covers the entire province (plus four other provinces), and the cost is a mere 299 baht.

The OP wasn't interested in a province map, but rather a city map. Big Map is unequalled as a city map, I've seen nothing better, whether in print or digital form. B&B city map is very low in detail, and not at all up to date, but the northern Thailand maps on it are well done.

I posted my inability in getting the Thinknet cd to function on my ibook, and hoped another apple user would give me guidance. Alas none has....so far.

Perhaps I should be contemplatng a trip to the apple shop to get the final verdict....

I'll take a closer look too at The Big Map

i bought the thinknet map/cd pack at 299 baht at carrefour. however it doesn't run on my apple ibook - although it has 'office for mac' installed. (the thinknet pack says it's "designed for microsoft windows"). if someone uses this on a mac and would spoon feed me (a computor semi-literate) some instructions on how to do it, i would be deeply grateful - not to mention in his debt to the tune of 299 baht.

I don't have this map but based on what you've said it's compatible with Windows and not the MacOS. Having MS Office for Mac installed on your iBook will not help unless the map files are in Word, Excel, or PowerPoint which is doubtful.

If you have an intel-based macbook you can install windows to run the map program but an ibook cannot unfortunately. You also have the option of getting a windows pc or trying to return or resell the map. Good luck!

I don't have this map but based on what you've said it's compatible with Windows and not the MacOS. Having MS Office for Mac installed on your iBook will not help unless the map files are in Word, Excel, or PowerPoint which is doubtful.

If you have an intel-based macbook you can install windows to run the map program but an ibook cannot unfortunately. You also have the option of getting a windows pc or trying to return or resell the map. Good luck!

Thank you for your helpful reply - even if it puts an end to my hopes for a solution. I'll hang on to the pack - it does include a big and detailed book of maps of the north. The cd will come into use when I upgrade tpo the intel apple laptops - I hope in the not too distant future.