Marry thai. Witnesses problem

friendofthai

Hi
In the local office in Phuket they said that they can provide their own witnesses only if two thai people want to marry.
But I am a foreigner, so they cannot help me with witnesses.
I suspect that other places do not have this rule. 
Could you recommend any foreigner-friendly place to marry thai woman?

Edited by friendofthai

20 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You suspect other places do not have this rule, well mate you would be wrong thinking that.

I got married in Khonkaen and we had to go find 2 witnesses ourselves, as staff would not do it.

Must the 2 witnesses be Thai citizens?

• Confused 1

Go to Bang Rak registry office in Bangkok. Providing you have the correct documents they will marry anyone and provide witnesses. At least, they did for us.

Its a big business for them there and they are famous for marrying people who have had issues elseware.

• Like 2

You can choose any two Thai people to be witnesses. All they need is their Thai ID card.

You can literally get a couple of motorcycle taxi guys to be witnesses and give them a bit of thank you money afterwards. It really is that simple.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Bangyai said:

Go to Bang Rak registry office in Bangkok. Providing you have the correct documents they will marry anyone and provide witnesses. At least, they did for us.

Its a big business for them there and they are famous for marrying people who have had issues elseware.

I go along with this, we got married there with no witnesses - the officers were the witnesses.

Edited by Pmbkk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangyai said:

+1 - that is what I did - although I did have 2 witnesses.

If you don't bring any - they will provide witnesses for you - some additional fee too I think.

Edited by varun

2 hours ago, friendofthai said:

Hi
In the local office in Phuket they said that they can provide their own witnesses only if two thai people want to marry.

The lady in the Bkk office doing our marriage certificate that married us was the witness as well, 200 baht. ????

2 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

It was sureal, I felt like was in some crazy B movie.

Edited 2 hours ago by 86Tiger

Thaiefficiency it's called, I remember that happening when I applied for a yellow book, basket to basket, person collecting and putting in another persons basket and around it went for a couple of hours, big chief lady then goes through it all and checks word for word and signs off.

One day there might be a simpler system with loads of trees saved in the process, hopefully.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

You clearly have never seen my wifes sisters.????????????????????

What U trying to say col...be careful now or I,ll get my TGF to send a message to Mrs col...the <deleted> may hit the fan then.....not just cranky but cheeky with it....:cheesy:

• Haha 2

On 1/6/2021 at 1:55 PM, chickenslegs said:

20 years ago, at Banglamung, our witnesses were my wife's sister and my English friend who was here on holiday.

About the same time, Banglamung told us that we needed two witnesses. We said we would need to come back at some time so the lady dealing with just asked the next couple in the queue (both Thai) to act as our witnesses.  Job done ????  

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 2:09 PM, Pmbkk said:

I go along with this, we got married there with no witnesses - the officers were the witnesses.

Same with me and my late wife in Nakhon Sawan seven years ago. I believe it was true in amphoe Lam Plai Mat, changwat Buri Ram, when I married my first wife, but that was 48 years ago so things might have changed.

On 1/6/2021 at 6:25 AM, Bangyai said:

How long ago was that?  I don't know about witnesses but, much like other register offices, things at Bangrak have changed in the last year or two.   Foreigners now need to book a marriage registration slot for example, and there are only 5 slots per day. The law has always been that only the manager can register a marriage involving a foreigner but previously at Bangrak, if the manager was busy, other staff would do it and the manager would sign it - not now. Its possible that they no longer get staff to act as witnesses.

On 1/6/2021 at 2:11 PM, 86Tiger said:

It was sureal, I felt like was in some crazy B movie.

Similar procedure when Hubby and I, both westerners, got Amphur Final Wills in Ampur Muang, Chiang Mai.  Only the lady behind the one doing the work had to get involved because the country had recently installed a new computer program and they'd never done a foreigner-foreigner Final Will before.  Several Thai-foreigner Final Wills, but not foreigner-foreigner.  I give them credit that they didn't say "mai dai" and instead made phone calls to Bangkok and really stuck with it until they printed out Final Wills for us.  By that time, theyh knew them us well as family, so they served as witnesses.

On 1/6/2021 at 12:55 PM, friendofthai said:

Hi

Have you ever considered your karma is telling you something?

You think obtaining 2 witnesses is a hassle?  If you haven't really studied what it takes to stay here as a family, better start immediately.
Unless you are a woman marrying a Thai man, then the rest of your life here in Thailand will be an annual paper-chase to prove that you're worthy enough to remain in sacred Thailand and live with your family.

Had I to do it over again?  I'd have gone to some other country that has respect for the human rights of families and provides a foreign spouse married to their own citizen a path to at least residency.  Otherwise your just a misfortune away from being kicked out of Thailand and separated from your family. 

Reconsider while you can.  This county considers you naught but a national security risk - not a provider for a foreigner/Thai family.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1