Usa To Deport Thai Student

taxexile

Thai authorities coordinate with US gov in deportation of Thai student

US authorities are preparing to deport a Thai doctorate student who attended a lecture on weapons possession without prior authorization.

The Director General of the Department of Information and Spokesperson to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Tharit Charungwat (ธฤต จรุงวัฒน์ ), reported on the incident in which the US government will be deporting a Thai doctorate student for attending a law lecture on weapons possession without registering for the course. Mr. Tharit revealed that the Thai Consulate to Washington DC and the Office of Educational Affairs have been closely monitoring the situation in order to provide aid to the student.

The Thai student has been informed that he has two alternatives, including pleading his case in the immigration court, or allowing himself to be deported. The student has elected to be conditionally deported with no possibility of returning to the United States for 10 years. The Director General expects that the student will be returning to Thailand on May 21.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 11 May 2007

Is he in jail? I've not seen any reports of precisely where he is currently. I see he was taken into custody on the campus as he had been ordered off the property, but nothing says what his disposition was after that.

Even if he is being held in detention until he's deported... certainly, given the reasons for his dismissal from the university, justifies some consideration as to his stability or lack thereof. Irregardless, if he contests his deportation and he is being detained, the opportunity to not be held in detention is part of the normal procedures, eg. bail.

I would imagine a foreigner being kicked out of a Thai school under similar circumstances and exhibiting the same sort of instability would be held in custody until deported, whether or not they had actually been charged with a crime.

Edited by sriracha john

US authorities are preparing to deport a Thai doctorate student who attended a lecture on weapons possession without prior authorization.

That's certainly a different way of explaining it compared to the other reports.

I can see it now. the guys going to come back to thailand a hero. his fellow thais are going to look up to him. and he will be the next PM. all along the way, he is going to bash america like there was no tomorrow.

That's certainly a different way of explaining it compared to the other reports.

Trust Thai Public Relations to find a way!!! :o

Trust Thai Public Relations to find a way!!! :D

Don't be dissing my homies at TNNBPRD now... dems my boyz.... :o

Lordy, they do struggle with the vernacular... makes it sound like he didn't have a hall pass or that his security clearance from the Pentagon hadn't arrived yet or....

I doubt he got dismissed because of his nationality. Boulder High School in Colorado shut down for an entire day yesterday as SWAT teams scoured the school looking for what a cafeteria cook described as two young men in camouflage, one wearing a ski mask, who she saw in the school in the very early morning before school started.

Feelings are high and people are scared. This guy had to have known this when he approached his professor asking about guns.

Its disturbing to find out that most reports are not what truly happpened. It makes me wonder whether I can believe what is written in most news. There are more distortion to the news that I originally thought.

In this particular story(news) I tend to believe what was mentioned at the beginning of the tread.

Having seen first hand how young HiSo Thai react when told off by officials, police - being downright rude with something like "Do you know who I am? My dad owns your 455 ? Leave me alone or you will be out of a job tomorrow" - as he is studying in US he is likely part of this elite and used to being able to call the shots. Must be a bit of a wakeup call to find out your money isn't that powerful outside Thailand.

Plenty of overseas Thai students are far from well to do. Although it's interesting that there are those who are assuming (for therapeutic reasons perhaps?) that this is the case.

:o

Plenty of overseas Thai students are far from well to do. Although it's interesting that there are those who are assuming (for therapeutic reasons perhaps?) that this is the case.

University in the US is expensive, even for the average American family. I say those who are assuming he's from a well off family are basing it on that.

Having seen first hand how young HiSo Thai react when told off by officials, police - being downright rude with something like "Do you know who I am? My dad owns your 455 ? Leave me alone or you will be out of a job tomorrow" - as he is studying in US he is likely part of this elite and used to being able to call the shots. Must be a bit of a wakeup call to find out your money isn't that powerful outside Thailand.

Glad to have caught your interest, but it's far from an assumption.

1. He's not a U.S. national or dual-citizen, as he can be deported.

2. Therefore he is a foreign student.

3. Foreign students (if not U.S. nationals- you might not know about this)- are usually charged fees at a huge premium- even more than out-of-state fees charged by U.S. public universities.

4. Foreign students can *sometimes* get scholarships- I may even have taught one or two who did- but it is very difficult and rare, and usually only occurs in conditions of extreme brilliance. The article itself argues against this being the case.

5. Therefore his family probably paid his fees.

6. Therefore his family most likely by any reasonable standard qualifies as "rich."

Hope that helped with your own therapeutic wellbeing.

"Steven"

University in the US is expensive, even for the average American family. I say those who are assuming he's from a well off family are basing it on that.

And like many Americans, plenty of Thais borrow their way through school. And even though a good number have borrowed these funds from my family directly, sometimes pushing their net worth well into the negative, I'm not assuming that all overseas Thais are leveraged in such a way OR well off. And yes, I am aware of local, resident, non-resident, foreigner, etc. tuition rate differences.

Glad to have caught your interest, but it's far from an assumption.

1. He's not a U.S. national or dual-citizen, as he can be deported.

2. Therefore he is a foreign student.

3. Foreign students (if not U.S. nationals- you might not know about this)- are usually charged fees at a huge premium- even more than out-of-state fees charged by U.S. public universities.

4. Foreign students can *sometimes* get scholarships- I may even have taught one or two who did- but it is very difficult and rare, and usually only occurs in conditions of extreme brilliance. The article itself argues against this being the case.

5. Therefore his family probably paid his fees.

6. Therefore his family most likely by any reasonable standard qualifies as "rich."

Hope that helped with your own therapeutic wellbeing.

"Steven"

^

An excellent example of logic clouded by whatever emotions are driving you here, Steven.

One more time...

And like many Americans, plenty of Thais borrow their way through school. And even though a good number have borrowed these funds from my family directly, sometimes pushing their net worth well into the negative, I'm not assuming that all overseas Thais are leveraged in such a way OR well off. And yes, I am aware of local, resident, non-resident, foreigner, etc. tuition rate differences.

:D :D

Well, Heng, it's true that NEITHER of us has any direct evidence of this student's economic background...

however.

It has been my experience that those who borrow the money to go to school tend the regard the opportunity with a bit more respect and are less likely to act like undisciplined, spoiled brats.

Just one man's opinion.

:D :D :o

"Steven"

The posters who defend this guy "because you can't believe what is written" are almost laughable. I too don't believe/trust a lot of what is written/reported. However, there is a simple way to determine the truth.

If you know the United States then one can use simple logic TO KNOW this guy is getting exactly what he deserves.

The United States of America can rightly be called "The United States of Lawsuits". You can bet-yer-bippy that the University had OVERWHELMING and HIGHLY DOCUMENTED evidence/reasons to expel this guy. NO WAY would they subject themselves to a lawsuit that had even the slightest chance of success.

Case closed. Next.

Well, Heng, it's true that NEITHER of us has any direct evidence of this student's economic background...

however.

It has been my experience that those who borrow the money to go to school tend the regard the opportunity with a bit more respect and are less likely to act like undisciplined, spoiled brats.

Just one man's opinion.

:bah: :bah: :o

"Steven"

Nice back pedal, Steven. As mentioned, I was replying to the incorrect generalization (by way of the rocket scientist logic *it's expensive so they must be rich... ...no, I've never heard of student debt or any other kind of debt instrument before*) that overseas students must be well to do.

:D :D :D :D