Covid resurgence: Thailand ramps up checks and restrictions on inter-provincial travel

webfact

Covid resurgence: Thailand ramps up checks and restrictions on inter-provincial travel

6pm.jpg

Daily News reported that Thailand was ramping up restrictions and checks on inter-provincial travel as the second wave of the pandemic continues to threaten the country. 

People can expect checks on even minor roads between provinces after calls were made for all non-essential travel in the country to cease. 

Police and other officials will have emergency powers behind them on main roads and lower ranking officials will set up checkpoints on smaller roads throughout the country. 

Temperatures, symptoms and reasons for travel will be checked everywhere from now on as Thailand enters its highest level of alert.

Chatchai Phromlert, an official at the Interior Ministry responsible for Covid-19 matters, said he had instructed all provincial governors to set up primary checkpoints on main roads.

Agencies responsible for national stability and the police will have powers under the emergency decree high alert level.

On minor roads between provinces district chiefs, kamnans and phu yai ban as well as local officials will be in charge of checking movement.

He said he had called on all areas to inform the public via announcements that they were not to travel anywhere unless it was absolutely necessary and that evidence of why they needed to travel might be necessary.

The severest restrictions apply to travel to and from Samut Sakhon, Chanthaburi, Chonburi, Trat and Rayong where the following checks will be done:

1. Temperature and symptoms

2. Reasons for travel and destination asked

3. Mor Chana app on phones checked

4. Are people in possession of the necessary documents for travel

5. Records made of people passing through. 

For the next level regarding 23 provinces in a high tier of restrictions 1,2, 3 and 5 will be followed.

For the remaining 49 provinces people crossing provincial borders can expect 1 and 2 to be observed. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-08

map.jpg

MAXIMUM CONTROLLED AREAS

Samut Sakhon

Chanthaburi

Chon Buri

Rayong

Trat

Maximum Controlled Areas – are the provinces where a high number of local cases have been detected in more than one area, and the government has stepped up entry-exit screening and contact tracing measures.

HIGHLY CONTROLLED AREAS 

Bangkok

Ang Thong

Ayutthaya

Lop Buri

Nakhon Nayok

Nakhon Pathom

Nonthaburi

Pathum Thani

Samut Prakan

Samut Songkhram

Saraburi

Sing Buri

Suphan Buri

Kanchanaburi

Phetchaburi

Prachuap Khiri Khan

Ratchaburi

Tak

Chachoengsao

Prachin Buri

Sa Kaeo

Chumphon

Ranong

Highly Controlled Areas – are the provinces where a high number of local cases have been detected in more than one area.

CONTROLLED AREAS

Chai Nat

Nakhon Sawan

Phetchabun

Uthai Thani

Kamphaeng Phet

Sukhothai

Buri Ram

Chaiyaphum

Nakhon Ratchasima

Phang Nga

Surat Thani

Controlled Areas – are provinces that either have a border with a highly controlled area province or have more than 10 new cases.

All other provinces are classified as ‘Areas Under High Surveillance’. These are provinces with less than 10 cases yet have measures in place to control the community spread

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2021 at 10:18 AM, webfact said:

4. Are people in possession of the necessary documents for travel

If someone land in BKK and goes with ALQ transport to pattaya where he is supposed to do the quarantine, who takes care of this documents? Has anybody done that while this rules where already in place?

Travel papers? Road stop checks? - Sound like we're back in Europe around the1940's

They could have avoided all of this by stopping people travelling for new year and locking down the most infected areas. Why they allowed inter-provincial travel in the red zones is beyond me.

Or even better, allow people to get tested for free - then Thai's might actually get tested, and we may find more cases where they are.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, teriyaki said:

If someone land in BKK and goes with ALQ transport to pattaya where he is supposed to do the quarantine, who takes care of this documents? Has anybody done that while this rules where already in place?

I'm certain it won't apply to them on the way to ASQ. After ASQ it will apply depending where they're planning to go.

30 minutes ago, Mike E said:

So, I'm about to enter Thailand in a week.  Does this now mean that after I finish my quarantine in Bangkok, if I want to go to any other province, I'll have to do another quarantine at the new province?!?!?!?

No. Just get the document from the Amphur where you are to allow you to travel if your journey is 'essential travel'.

Edited by overherebc

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

No. Just get the document from the Amphur where you are to allow you to travel if your journey is 'essential travel'.

8 hours ago, Mike E said:

So, I'm about to enter Thailand in a week.  Does this now mean that after I finish my quarantine in Bangkok, if I want to go to any other province, I'll have to do another quarantine at the new province?!?!?!?

Reading this mornings news on here it looks like Red Zone to Phuket will require it.

On 1/9/2021 at 7:42 PM, 2530Ubon said:

Travel papers? Road stop checks? - Sound like we're back in Europe around the1940's

They could have avoided all of this by stopping people travelling for new year and locking down the most infected areas. Why they allowed inter-provincial travel in the red zones is beyond me.

Or even better, allow people to get tested for free - then Thai's might actually get tested, and we may find more cases where they are.

But a test would only say you were uninfected at that moment in time...but you could become infected a few hours later.