'Being black in America requires emotional aerobics': Regina King on 'powder keg' movie One Night in Miami

snoop1130

'Being black in America requires emotional aerobics': Regina King on 'powder keg' movie One Night in Miami

By Steve Rose

1532.jpg

Regina King in New York in 2019. Photograph: Victoria Will/Invision/AP

To say Regina King is “having a moment” feels a little inappropriate, considering that she is 35 years into her career.

But it also feels like an understatement. In the past five years she has won an Oscar, four Emmys and numerous other awards for her performances in a string of acclaimed titles, including Barry Jenkins’s If Beale Street Could Talk, the prescient comic-book miniseries Watchmen and the Netflix race-crime drama Seven Seconds.

As well as marching her down several miles of red carpet, the flurry of attention has catapulted her into a new echelon of star power.

Now she is also making waves as a director.

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/jan/08/regina-king-one-night-miami-oscar-winning-beale-street-actor-black-lives-matter

32 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'd suggest the worst that has happened to you is being called Shorty.

Hmm, so by your thinking it would be ok call someone a name relating to their colour then ? I cannot change my height as much as anyone (apart from trump) can change his skin colour.  Discrimination comes in all forms, not just skin colour which people seem to be so concerned with.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Let me suggest short white people historically have not been enslaved, raped, exploited or discriminated against to the same extent as black people in America. Blacks make up 34% of the prison population there, while they are only 13% of the overall population. So no, it would not be OK.

I'd suggest their incarceration rate is more a reflection of their likelihood of committing crimes. 

So would the FBI statistics.  Look up the percentage of murders committed by black people (on black people- double whammy- they're also more likely to be the victims, too). 

To your other point... I've seen studies that show that short, fat, unattractive and bald people get fewer opportunities in life than tall, fit, attractive people with nice hair. 

But I've never heard of anyone getting chained to a pickup truck and dragged to their death because they were short.

Edited by impulse

2 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

It is only women seeking a sexual partner that discriminate against little fellas. 
And maybe basketball coaches. 
But horse trainers like them.

So do judo senseis.

I'm not so sure about the women, some want to mother them.

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Let me suggest short white people historically have not been enslaved, raped, exploited or discriminated against to the same extent as black people in America. Blacks make up 34% of the prison population there, while they are only 13% of the overall population. So no, it would not be OK.

When you can show me an authoritative link to statistics that demonstrate short people are similarly represented in prison populations, or are disadvantaged in employment, I might start listening.

Short men sometimes compensate by having extra-assertive personalities. Napoleon was one such example. Go ahead, assert yourself, but do it with facts and logic, please.

I'm not sure why statistics showing  black people proportionally commit more crime backs up your case. Maybe short people are discriminated against just as much, but don't turn to crime? 

I don't know - just throwing it out there. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Hmm, so by your thinking it would be ok call someone a name relating to their colour then ? I cannot change my height as much as anyone (apart from trump) can change his skin colour.  Discrimination comes in all forms, not just skin colour which people seem to be so concerned with.

Yes but if you're black in America kou have a very high risk of being shot by the very men charged to 'Serve and protect'.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, George Aylesham said:

Yes but if you're black in America kou have a very high risk of being shot by the very men charged to 'Serve and protect'.

I was one of "those" and never shot anyone. Your comments deserve research as to who kills blacks in the USA.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'm only 5ft 5", I can assure this lady that I have been more abused about my height than any black people I know ever been abused about their colour - get on with life and stop moaning for publicity sake.

You don't know any black people do you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Benmart said:

I was one of "those" and never shot anyone. Your comments deserve research as to who kills blacks in the USA.

You are a rarity. Problem is, in America the police don't know if someone is armed either when they approach a person, or a person approaches them. That's how Justine Damond got shot, a trigger-happy cop.

No argument many murders are black on black. Having said that, the legal system in America, with white people having better access to legal representation than overworked public defenders, who will plea bargain their black clients, guarantees a higher rate of incarceration.

On 1/8/2021 at 7:33 PM, Lacessit said:

I suggest you read "Black Like Me" by John Howard Griffin. it's the story of a white man who darkened his skin to pass as a black man in America, for six weeks.

I'd suggest the worst that has happened to you is being called Shorty. In your focus on the negative, it probably has not occurred to you that you have a considerable advantage with respect to economy class seating in aircraft.

Read the book, and then maybe your next comment will not be so ill-informed.

I read that book years ago, it made me disgusted of ignorant white people that go through life without a clue. 

"short like me" should write a book also about the trials and tribulations of being white and 'short' in England

????????, I'm sure it'll be a tear jerker - through laughter...