Gps

Hi Guys,

Anyone that can tell me where I can get a GPS in BKK?

Also can someone recomend what brand to buy and prices?

I'll be using it in the car..,getting lost to often in Bkk... :D:o

Using GARMIN Nuvi 310, travelled from Ubon to Mae Sai and back to Ubon 2728Km via as close as one can get it in the border roads, garmin shows all the roads.

Got in from Pantip 2nd floor, PLATINUM 02-6565485

PRICE 2 mths ago 26000, price is getting down by the day and new models pop up like a mushrooms.

good map in bot English and thai.

and it's accurate as hel_l in BKK

do you have to paid a monthly fee to be able to use GPS ? just curious

No fee required. The GPS satellites are owned by the DOD USA and anyone with a GPS receiver can use the navigation system. The only cost is the initial purchase.

If you are on a budget as far "as being on a budget" when purchasing GPS the streetpilot i2 or i3 are the cheapest best value for money. There is another GPS thread running on here that is worth a read.

Edited by maprao

• 5 weeks later...

I would recommend nuvi 300/310 (310 with Bluetooth – can be use as hands free) for car navigation. Equipped with SiRF hardly ever losing satellites. If you buy it in Thailand the unit should come with the very detailed map from ESRI covering whole Thailand.

Hi Guys,

Anyone that can tell me where I can get a GPS in BKK?

Also can someone recomend what brand to buy and prices?

I'll be using it in the car..,getting lost to often in Bkk... :D:o

I've used the Garmn Street Pilot 2720 for about 18 months. I never get lost with it. I bought it at Puntip Plaza....Platinum shop.

I have read that the Thailand map for the Garmin is on a memory card. My question is whether or not this memory card can be used in other Garmin devices? Is the memory card similar to the memory cards in cameras that can be switched from one camera to another? If you buy a cheap Garmin then decide to upgrade, can you swap memory cards or do you have to get ESRI to transfer the maps?

I have read that the Thailand map for the Garmin is on a memory card. My question is whether or not this memory card can be used in other Garmin devices? Is the memory card similar to the memory cards in cameras that can be switched from one camera to another? If you buy a cheap Garmin then decide to upgrade, can you swap memory cards or do you have to get ESRI to transfer the maps?

I have a Garmin Quest. It has no memory card. You change the map using software called MAPSOURCE. When I load a new set of maps it erases the old ones. You can import maps and export them using this software. You can also do all your route planning on the laptop. Just make sury when you buy the device.

My GPS came with City select Europe and insatallation CD MAPSOURCE. I obtained all the the maps for Thailand from the internet (GPS community). I got routable maps for all Thailand & greater Bangkok. They were very cheap $100. Compared to 13900 thai baht to purchase. That also gave me routable maps for Japan as well as other places.

So basically the answer is no. You manipulate maps using MAPSOURCE much like you can change the music on your IPOD using ITUNES same same but different :o This advice of course only stands for my GPS and other Garmin devices. There are many on the market.

Edited by maprao

I have read that the Thailand map for the Garmin is on a memory card.

Not always. This depends on the model.

My question is whether or not this memory card can be used in other Garmin devices?
No I am afraid (see Maprao's post). Unless they are free from the internet (made by other GPS users).
Is the memory card similar to the memory cards in cameras that can be switched from one camera to another?

There are different memory cards for different GPS series. In the same series can be switched but the official map will not be showed.

If you buy a cheap Garmin then decide to upgrade, can you swap memory cards or do you have to get ESRI to transfer the maps?

That will be already different GPS receiver.

Oh! (For other intersted in the Map) The official map (ESRI) for Thailand costs 11.200,- :o

(...)

I obtained all the the maps for Thailand from the internet (GPS community). I got routable maps for all Thailand & greater Bangkok. They were very cheap $100. Compared to 13900 thai baht to purchase. That also gave me routable maps for Japan as well as other places.

(...)

Have you had the chance to compare the map to the one from ESRI?

(...)

I obtained all the the maps for Thailand from the internet (GPS community). I got routable maps for all Thailand & greater Bangkok. They were very cheap $100. Compared to 13900 thai baht to purchase. That also gave me routable maps for Japan as well as other places.

(...)

Have you had the chance to compare the map to the one from ESRI?

No however Greater Bangkok is as good as my City select for Europe. Also "upcountry" the detail is very good. Down to the local school in my village! I am more than happy with the results. However I have never used the ESRI Maps only Garmin City select MApsource ones.

Hm, interesting. That could be cheap solution for many travelers.

More and more people are talking about the free (almost free :o ) maps. ESRI should start shaking or make some (more up-to-date) upgrades. What do you think?

Hm, interesting. That could be cheap solution for many travelers.

More and more people are talking about the free (almost free :D ) maps. ESRI should start shaking or make some (more up-to-date) upgrades. What do you think?

I think they are ok. There will always be people that will want to buy COTS solutions from stores. This way there is more recourse if things do not work properly. There are alot of sites out there that have maps. These are made by, or should I say complied by some clever people. I was lucky the site I used the maps plug straight into MAPSOURSE from Garmin when downloaded.

It was well worth the $100 donation to the community. I also got Bali, Japan and Mexico thrown in the deal (considerable saving). Guess I will have to go visit these countries now :o

Edited by maprao