Ais wifi 6

kingstonkid

Basically you just get or pay for a new router with the newer wifi 6 technology to give greater throughout speeds.

First, let's talk theoretical throughput. As Intel put it, "Wi-Fi 6 is capable of a maximum throughput of 9.6 Gbps across multiple channels, compared to 3.5 Gbps on Wi-Fi 5." In theory, a WiFi 6 capable router could hit speeds over 250% faster than current WiFi 5 device

Other than 3x speed increase over 802.11ac (Wifi 5), 802.11ax (Wifi 6) also comes with improvements in security, namely WPA 3, and allows seamless switching between wireless and 5G cellular connections.

That, of course, depends on whether your phone/workstation has Wifi6/5G capabilities.

3 hours ago, userabcd said:

Basically you just get or pay for a new router with the newer wifi 6 technology to give greater throughout speeds.

First, let's talk theoretical throughput. As Intel put it, "Wi-Fi 6 is capable of a maximum throughput of 9.6 Gbps across multiple channels, compared to 3.5 Gbps on Wi-Fi 5." In theory, a WiFi 6 capable router could hit speeds over 250% faster than current WiFi 5 device

and the verdict is ..... 1= very good .....2 = good .....3= not worth the extra baht....555

Edited by Mavideol

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

Other than 3x speed increase over 802.11ac (Wifi 5), 802.11ax (Wifi 6) also comes with improvements in security, namely WPA 3, and allows seamless switching between wireless and 5G cellular connections.

That, of course, depends on whether your phone/workstation has Wifi6/5G capabilities.

what's the final advise, should one spend the extra money or not  555

About a year ago I upgraded my home ASUS Wifi 5 routers (an AC86U and AC55UHP) to ASUS Wifi 6 routers (an AX88U and AX92U).  And I also bought a new Lenovo laptop that has Wifi 6 capability with the Intel Wifi 6 AX200 Wifi chip.   iI also have a couple of Lenovo Wifi 5 equipped laptops.

I did a lot in-home, real world testing with my AIS Fibre 500/200Mb internet plan and on a few days got a free upgrade to 1000/1000Mb.  The Huawei AIS-provided router is set to bridge mode and feeds the WAN input of my main Asus AX88 router.   I also used a SSD USB 3.0 connection to my AX88U in order to provide a feed much faster than 1000Mb for testing purposes.  

With my laptop with WIfi 6 capability I can achieve up 992Mb Wifi speed connection between the router and laptop in the same room when using a SSD USB feed....and around 940Mb when using an AIS Fibre 1000Mb feed.  1000Mb plans are really just 940Mb plans but they are called 1000Mb plans. 

Now when I test with my Wifi 5 laptops I can obtain approx a 20% faster Wifi speed with my Wifi 6 routers (which are is backwards compatible to Wifi 5) than I can achieve with my previous WIfi 5 routers. 

And the "range" of the AX routers is significantly better than the AC routers from my testing....just as advertised with Wifi 6.

Yeap, totally happy with my home upgrade from Wifi 5 routers to Wifi 6 routers.  

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

what's the final advise, should one spend the extra money or not  555

Will depend on whether your other equipment supports AX or not. If the rest is AC type and you don't plan on buying new equipment to replace it, then you won't see any benefit. If you plan to upgrade in the future, then if you get it at a good price which won't last, it may be worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess time is important for some and how many milliseconds people save with click click click while browsing the internet or using email whilst sitting in a chair, lounging on a sofa staring at a screen.

Wonder if most would even notice any improvement between wifi 4,5 or 6 speeds in a home environment opening web pages or downloading something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For starters, if speed and reliability is so important for you, then you should just forget about any wireless standard, and get wired.

I know someone will come back and say you can't hardwire a smartphone, but on a smartphone you will also have no use for 1Gbps download speeds

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1