iPad buying experience

poppysdad

You sound a bit confused as, probably she was confused as well.

15 hours ago, poppysdad said:

I told the girl putting on the screen protector not to set up the iPad as I want to do it myself

I suspect that she understood that you want her to help with setting it up, because why else would you even mention it?

[...] screen protector in place and she appeared to be playing with my iPad. After a few minutes I asked her [...]

So your iPad is ready, but instead of taking it you watch her play with it for a few minutes?

[...] finally after a good 5 minutes she found settings and WiFi [...]

At this point the iPad was setup already? If you start an iPad for the first time, iirc it asks you what language you want and then for which wifi network to use, you wouldn't even be able to go into "settings" before you completed the initial setup.

• Like 1

How much of this incident occurred in Thai language and how much in English?

If you felt a need to apologise, I wonder if there was more to the story... but everyone understands a simple "No." If you ranted on in English, the "no" might have gotten lost. 

All that said, she was surely trying to please you... and if you were talking in English, was it simple English and direct? So, where do you think it went wrong? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

the overzealous sales lady

sometimes the sales "style" can get a little heavy for us Westerners. I don't like being followed through stores. I learned to say "Dtuu choi choi" - just looking... and as you I mostly try and be patient as I understand it is their job... but sometimes, we are just not in the mood. 

I walked into a tire store once and the owner lady nearly charged at me w/an attitude of you will buy!! - I turned and quickly walked out. My wife totally understood my reaction but for her, it was ok, understanding the nature of the owner - "She's Chinese," she told me, totally excusing the affront. 

• Like 1

Jackdd, where was I confused, I'v been an Apple user for a couple of decades, I upgrade my iPhone every year and I'm on my 3 iPad and fully capable of placing my iPhone next to my new iPad and let it do its own thing. Yes perhaps she wanted to help but looking at her she really didn't know what she was doing and YES she understood English very well when it suited her. I'm quite a patient  and tolerant guy but I had already told her not to set it up and probably told her around a dozen times to stop so grabbing it from her was the only way to get her to stop. I apologised the following day simply because I am a decent guy. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

I'm quite a patient  and tolerant guy but I had already told her not to set it up and probably told her around a dozen times to stop so grabbing it from her was the only way to get her to stop. I apologised the following day simply because I am a decent guy. 

Don't forget the modest bit.........:coffee1:

• Haha 1

OP you have to understand they just want to help and it's in their nature and they are so proud to show that they can , the same thing happened to me two weeks ago when I bought a new Ipad Air (2020) It's not a big deal at least you know that the product is not Dead on Arrival (DOA) , if you want to set it up you can reinstall when you get home. IMO give them some love instead and move on instead of being grumpy over a non issue.

• Like 2

You ordered and payed?  Big mistake.  By all means leave a small holding deposit, circa 1,000 Baht, but not a full payment until you see the goods. Then you have the power in your hands not theirs. if she had ignored me, having told her several times, I would have told them to stuff it and walked out, 1,000 Baht or not.  Having paid for it already, you were screwed.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They usually set it up to ensure the device works 100% and to exclude any risk of you claiming later to have found a hardware or software defect. They will go through the camera, settings, apps, call and messaging checks. I am not a fan of them setting up or playing around with a new iPhone. I prefer to do the unwrapping and unboxing myself.  

• Like 1

FWIW, be sure to check and make sure you got the model you paid for. Check in settings for “general” “about” then “capacity” and make sure it’s got the correct memory. Only reason I say that is I bought two from Amazon sellers and neither were what they advertised. I’m sure most people don’t check. After that experience I only buy direct from Apple. 

• Like 1

Never pay before you get it and when you get it look that it is still sealed. Then unpack it in front of them and check everything yourself. Then pay and walk away with it and a receipt with the serial number on it (check it if it is correct) . If you buy it at a location with many stores take a photo of the shop so that you easily can find it again.