Things That Irritate Me

steffi

1. Married to a Thai. Cannot recall her or her parents, ever saying aroi or otherwise commenting on food. Must be freaks.

2. 12 years now, and not asked to pay a thin dime for the in-laws or anyone else, and don't. Wife spends only on the barest necessities and feels spending over 100 Baht on anything is wildly excessive. OK, she is a freak.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It must be a boring household if mother and daughter can only talk about the taste of food whilst seated around the dinner table.

You need to change the subject......perhaps an in-depth conversation on how good the sex was last night.

Depending on last nights' performance, the discussion could extend into the early hours of the next morning or perhaps it will die quickly.....something like Willy always does. :o

Well it just gets so irritating and repetitive to hear this over and over every time something is consumed. Note: I've been married for over five years but this still continues to annoy me to this day.
The Thais are much like the Italians and the French in this respect when it comes to discussing food to the nth degree.

And so does every cultured society.

Discussing delicacies is good manners anywhere in the world.

If you removed the words "arroi" and "suai" from the Thai lexicon, 75% of all Thai conversation would cease.

OK, no long winded defense of Thais and class status on this one – it's pretty much true accross the spectrum.

On the other hand, it makes it real easy to start a conversation in Thai.

can you list some other reasons to marry a falung. other than lub and money(.this goes together as one answer)

if you want to stop the mama gravy train. just tell your wife her mom is looking awfully pretty nowadays. it will confuse her, and maybe will tell mama to get lost.

Edited by blizzard

1. Married to a Thai. Cannot recall her or her parents, ever saying aroi or otherwise commenting on food. Must be freaks.

2. 12 years now, and not asked to pay a thin dime for the in-laws or anyone else, and don't. Wife spends only on the barest necessities and feels spending over 100 Baht on anything is wildly excessive. OK, she is a freak.

How much do you want for her Q? I have been looking for 'A Freak' like her for bluddy years.....

you want to stop the mama gravy train. just tell your wife her mom is looking awfully pretty nowadays. it will confuse her, and maybe will tell mama to get lost.

What an evil mind you have, sir :o .

Something that irritates me slightly is people posting in (transliterated) Thai on this forum, so that there are chunks of the post I cannot understand. I wish they would post the English, too; perhaps it's help my progress in the new language. There's an example somewhere earlier in this hread, I think.

Why is it whenever the mother is around or for that matter when she's not whenever food is consumed there's a mandatory 30 minute discussion about how arroy it was and if it wasn't where it's done better and why?

I get so tired of the constant discussions about food whenever it's consumed. to me it's just food and I don't have to analyze it to death.

Secondly,

If you are married and support your wife overseas and she earns money there but expects me to pay most of the time. How would you feel if every time her mother opens her wallet to pay for something she offers to pay herself or ask me to contribute. Note: when we are in Thailand I'm expected to pick up most significant expenses. ie. my wife is happy to pay for her mother to tour somewhere but I'm expected to pick up the expense for any touring my wife and I do. I don't think this is a "fair" balance of expenditure.

You married a Thai!!! I thought you would have understood the deal long ago, all written above is normal. The whole concept of being a son or daughter(in Thailand) is to see there parents live in comfort until their final days. Seeing the parents avoid any financial burdens is highest priority.

you want to stop the mama gravy train. just tell your wife her mom is looking awfully pretty nowadays. it will confuse her, and maybe will tell mama to get lost.

What an evil mind you have, sir :o .

Something that irritates me slightly is people posting in (transliterated) Thai on this forum, so that there are chunks of the post I cannot understand. I wish they would post the English, too; perhaps it's help my progress in the new language. There's an example somewhere earlier in this hread, I think.

Hey, wai wai, "Wai" not start a Thai for beginners thread? I'm sure you'll get a bundle of input. I'm serious.

Edited by qwertz

As a comparative newbie, what I still haven't grasped is why so many farangs don't consult this forum before instead of after shacking up with a Thai. It is after all Thai Visa and chock full of very relevant input from a whole spectrum of farangs who are at your service to either help with your queries or demolish your argument. Anyone have a take on this?

As a comparative newbie, what I still haven't grasped is why so many farangs don't consult this forum before instead of after shacking up with a Thai. It is after all Thai Visa and chock full of very relevant input from a whole spectrum of farangs who are at your service to either help with your queries or demolish your argument. Anyone have a take on this?

They don't want to know. I am convinced that denial is a key element in some (not all :o ) of these relationships.

Hey, wai wai, "Wai" not start a Thai for beginners thread? I'm sure you'll get a bundle of input. I'm serious.

Not too sure what this would consist of, gwetz ? How about you start ? I will try to assist with queries :D . Put it in the General forum - some cross-pollination can be a good thing.

well it's dinner time again so let's see if I can count how many times they say "gin"

you can feel they are all worked up for it already

well it's dinner time again so let's see if I can count how many times they say "gin"

you can feel they are all worked up for it already

I can relate to that. I'm drooling already at the prospect of those fat, juicy water bugs, squirmy ant maggots, writhing black wasps and - the ultimate - dried squashed squid topped off with chicken feet, crispy deep fried grasshopper and a big helping of frog legs. On second thoughts, maybe I'll check out Burger King instead.

Well it just gets so irritating and repetitive to hear this over and over every time something is consumed. Note: I've been married for over five years but this still continues to annoy me to this day.
The Thais are much like the Italians and the French in this respect when it comes to discussing food to the nth degree.

And so does every cultured society.

Discussing delicacies is good manners anywhere in the world.

Isn't this all just a normal part of marrying into another culture?

I can think of dinners in France where we discussed the food for at least three hours.

Small things can irritate though and sometimes one needs a farang shoulder to cry on... where better than Thaivisa... but ultimately it's a matter of acceptance and of controlling one's irritation.

It's only a century or so ago in the West that the male was seen as the provider and in Thai culture it'll take time for that to move on. Meanwhile, vive les differences and just eat up and pay up! Or give up.

PS I thought Steffi was a girl's name!

Andrew

Would it be more annoying then mother discussing about her sexual exploits last night?

Or her commentary on how daddy sprained his back helping her do the 'flying eagle cappture snake' positions?

Or that corn cob has better texture when a decent cucumber no longer can do a job.

Pssst....do we have underage in this chatroom? :o

Mods, do delete my post if this offends some sensibilities.

Edited by viciouskitty74

Would it be more annoying then mother discussing about her sexual exploits last night?

Or her commentary on how daddy sprained his back helping her do the 'flying eagle cappture snake' positions?

Or that corn cob has better texture when a decent cucumber no longer can do a job.

Pssst....do we have underage in this chatroom? :D

Mods, do delete my post if this offends some sensibilities.

oooooooooooooooh Kitty, you little minx. :o P.S. More info please on Flying Eagle pos.? i must give that a go.

Edited by qwertz

First I have a question; if it's your wife you are talking about why are you supporting her overseas? I'm only asking because it strikes me as odd, when I got married my wife lived in my country with me until we banked some money to move to Thailand but in any event I have to say my wallet is always opened when it comes to my mother, father and grandparents not because I have more than them but because it is my pleasure to treat them and that extends to my Thai in-laws as well (and I don't have more than them either). As far as the food thing goes that's kind of a no-brainer it would be harder to make a list of the Western cultures that don't talk about a meal and if it is prepared in the home generally the preparation is discussed as well.

Someone said "get used to it". Well, I don't I I also don't pay one baht to my wifes family for whatever reason. I made that clear to my wife already 10 years ago. They have tried in the past to borrow money from me, but everytime get get a no. (They have now stopped asking for money).

So whatever you do, make sure they understand that no money is coming out of your pocket. If you start handing out money, you will have them around you for ever.

I'm not married but I find this thread annoying. :D

I'm not married either but I find this thread amusing. :D

'qwertz', borracho is drunk!

That's no excuse. There's enough tipplers on this board already. Let's have a little decorum,gentlemen, before this noble forum descends to the level of the notorious ##.

Now this is really annoying. We seem to have a moderator in training. :D :D :o

Its simply like us british always talking about the weather!

Thats just the way it is.

Mark

Hmmm, I was just about to mention the weather issue, only it goes for most so called "western countries".

;-)

Btw, the most obsessed country in regards to food, is USA.

Look at what an average American actually eat.

This is not to talk bad about Americans, but their own health authorities are worringly aware of that fact.

Sailor

Another annoyance is how they have to unplug everything that has a standby mode. They claim it uses 5W of electricity even when the TV, Stereo are in standby so they choose to unplug all devices that would be consuming power instead of putting them into standby. So nothing switching on only by remote here it's plug in, switch on at the base, and then push the remote button to turn on.

More info please on Flying Eagle pos.? i must give that a go.

You'll have to take her out to dinner and discuss this matter over the dinner table. :o

I would not rule this initiative out, MM. I like a feisty woman. Hope she posts again, there's not enough ladies on this board.

Borracho, what 's up? Have you no capacity for a chuckle factor or are you verdaderamente borracho?

Another annoyance is how they have to unplug everything that has a standby mode. They claim it uses 5W of electricity even when the TV, Stereo are in standby so they choose to unplug all devices that would be consuming power instead of putting them into standby. So nothing switching on only by remote here it's plug in, switch on at the base, and then push the remote button to turn on.

yeah tho they happily keep the rice cooker going till the rice is rock hard, and the fan switched on while sleeping. c'est la vie!