Thailand launches anti-suicide team to help people in despair

webfact

Thailand launches anti-suicide team to help people in despair

By THE NATION

800_042b454c46baad8.jpg?v=1610676272

The national public health committee has appointed a team to halt the rising suicide trend in Thailand.

Speaking in his role as the committee’s chair, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said the team will integrate operations of several government agencies, including the ministries of Social Development and Human Security, Education, and Justice.

Anutin said the operational team will inform people of their basic rights and welfare entitlements, and also offer solutions for their problems. The team will screen people in at-risk groups including the mentally ill, alcohol or drug addicts, and people who have already attempted suicide.

Statistics show that 53,000-54,000 people try to kill themselves in Thailand each year. Of these, about 4,000 are successful in committing suicide.

The suicide rate has risen since 2017, with males accounting for the majority of victims. Statistics for 2020 demonstrate that the economic crisis triggered by Covid-19 was a key factor in suicide deaths.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401261

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-15

The charity Samaritans is available around the clock for people who want to talk.

If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health services, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand at their 24-hour hotline 02-713-6791 (English), 02713-6793 (Thai) or Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai).

http://www.samaritansthai.com/news/samaritans-of-thailand-english-hotline/ 

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

Anutin said the operational team will inform people of their basic rights and welfare entitlements, and also offer solutions for their problems. The team will screen people in at-risk groups including the mentally ill, alcohol or drug addicts, and people who have already attempted suicide.

Good initiative. Suicide is such a waste. I knew 7 people In Australia that did it.

i assume now we will here on this forum the endless reasons the farangs think why about ten Thais are killing themselves per day. 

And as it is an an initiative from our much loved billionaire health Minister Anutin that will add some flavor. There will be some “dirty” comments.

I assume money, medical and romantic issues would be up there, along with depression. 

• Haha 2

"Statistics show that 53,000-54,000 people try to kill themselves in Thailand each year. Of these, about 4,000 are successful in committing suicide."

Nobody wants to belie depressed people. but if 54,000 people really did try then more than 4000 would succeed. Most are cries for help....which also need to be heard. I am just saying there are levels to this...

In general, Thais do not have good coping skills. This is also evidenced in their driving behaviour, their propensity for violence and, in general, a tendency towards theft and extortion.

Having said that. a 7.5% success rate for suicide strongly suggests that as the previous author suggests, at least many attempted suicides are a cry for help in disguise, and he's quite right this also needs to be heard.

The government bears a large part of the responsibility for this. Attempted suicides are poorly reported and I suggest, exceed the recorded numbers by a considerable margin. Many psychiatrists allow themselves 2 to 3 minutes per patient, which is sufficient time to be able to scribble out a repeat prescription for medication which was probably badly prescribed in the first place; it certainly is not enough time to pay anything like enough time to a patient who may be in acute or worse, chronic mental pain.

It's a problem, but it's one of many problems which afflict the Thai population, and like so many others it is a problem that the government does not provide sufficient help for - largely because they have few skills in management and usually none at all in government. 

Edited by Glaswegian2
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, grantbkk said:

Great reporting from our crack staff at The Nation.  You mention 2020 suicides but may have forgot to plug in a number.

That is the Nations special style. Report half the story, leaving out the most important information so we can just speculate. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glaswegian2 said:

In general, Thais do not have good coping skills.

Ok, let’s compare.

Scotland has the highest suicide rate in the UK with 16.1 deaths per 100000 persons, latest official figures reveal.

Thailand, which ranks in 32nd place with 14.4 of suicides per 100.000 

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/scotland-highest-suicide-rate-uk-1408638

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-leads-asean-nations-in-annual-suicide-rate

1 hour ago, Natai Beach said:

Ok, let’s compare.

Scotland has the highest suicide rate in the UK with 16.1 deaths per 100000 persons, latest official figures reveal.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-leads-asean-nations-in-annual-suicide-rate

which leads us to conclude that...?

Scots have more talent for offing themselves than Thais?

Nope, I give up. Give us a clue...

Edited by Glaswegian2

Ok, let’s compare.

The OP says 4000 people were successful, while Thaiger says 10.000 people.

Who to believe?

The latter also says 54.000 attempted, are there any ratios available for successful to attempted suicides in Scotland?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Good initiative. Suicide is such a waste. I knew 7 people In Australia that did it.

i assume now we will here on this forum the endless reasons the farangs think why about ten Thais are killing themselves per day. 

And as it is an an initiative from our much loved billionaire health Minister Anutin that will add some flavor. There will be some “dirty” comments.

I assume money, medical and romantic issues would be up there, along with depression. 

My younger sister and her son both did it due to the sexual abuse of my sisters two kids when they were young. The perpetrator was arrested but not charged and fled to Australia. Now he married a Thai, he was married to my other sister but she died a few years ago. Happy families!

9 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Ok, let’s compare.

But Thai's don't have to live in Scotland ................LOL

• Like 1

I think the lockdowns have big thing to do with people trying to kill themselves Imagine the operators in the tourist industry in Thailand who have lost everything They cant even afford to put bread on the table

What price in human sacrifice has this covid done?

Honest truth Thailand has the worst government to steer them through this crisis. They live in a bubble There response Invoke emergency powers. What the hell for really?

15 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

I conclude that Thais have better coping skills in general. 

Excellent. I'm sure you're right.

There are those who believe Thais are better at everything. So much so that everyone in the world will be speaking Thai in 10 years - according to that nice Mr Prayuth.

And he should know, he's an ex-soldier.

5 hours ago, Happyman567 said:

I think the lockdowns have big thing to do with people trying to kill themselves Imagine the operators in the tourist industry in Thailand who have lost everything They cant even afford to put bread on the table

What price in human sacrifice has this covid done?

Honest truth Thailand has the worst government to steer them through this crisis. They live in a bubble There response Invoke emergency powers. What the hell for really?

In the same way as it is impossible for any member of the 'War Elephants' (*giggle*) Thai National football team to play to the same level as a member of the Liverpool team, it is impossible for the Thai government (with all of the legitimacy problems that it has) to manage Thailand like the German government manages Germany.

Perhaps the major lesson to be learned from the Prayuth government and all of it's enablers is to expect less from the Prayuth government and all of it's enablers.

Edited by Glaswegian2

23 minutes ago, Glaswegian2 said:

it is impossible for the Thai government (with all of the legitimacy problems that it has) to manage Thailand like the German government manages Germany.

With 1,045 covid deaths in Germany yesterday, which is more than 150 times the total covid deaths in Thailand for a whole year, I am glad they don’t manage Thailand like Germany. 

With 1,045 covid deaths in Germany yesterday, which is more than 150 times the total covid deaths in Thailand for a whole year, I am glad they don’t manage Thailand like Germany. 

With respect, you miss an important point in your comment: it should read: "With 1,045 covid deaths in Germany yesterday, which is more than 150 times the total REPORTED covid deaths in Thailand for a whole year.

One lesson we should al learn is that dishonesty is not discretionary. When once spotted in 1 respect, dishonesty should be assumed in all respects. This is much more consistent with the nature of people than is an assumption of selective dishonesty.

With respect, you miss an important point in your comment: it should read: "With 1,045 covid deaths in Germany yesterday, which is more than 150 times the total REPORTED covid deaths in Thailand for a whole year.

One lesson we should all learn is that dishonesty is not discretionary. When once spotted in 1 respect, dishonesty should be assumed in all respects. This is much more consistent with the nature of people than is an assumption of selective dishonesty.

15 hours ago, Susco said:

The OP says 4000 people were successful, while Thaiger says 10.000 people.

Who to believe?

The latter also says 54.000 attempted, are there any ratios available for successful to attempted suicides in Scotland?

“Thailand, which ranks in 32nd place with 14.4 of suicides per 100.000 population – or nearly 10,000 suicide deaths last year.”

Every 40 seconds, someone loses their life to suicide and nearly 800,000 people die due to suicide every year, according to the World Health Organisation. In Thailand, suicide is the second leading cause of death among 15-29 year olds, after road injury.

4,000 can hardly be nearly 10,000, methinks. Who to believe? The 10,000 suicide deaths. 

Edited by teacherclaire
Don't kill yourself, call Anutin!

17 minutes ago, Glaswegian2 said:

One lesson we should al learn is that dishonesty is not discretionary. When once spotted in 1 respect, dishonesty should be assumed in all respects. This is much more consistent with the nature of people than is an assumption of selective dishonesty.

Yes, it was probably much higher yesterday in Germany. Once you start getting those sort of numbers you get cases falling through the cracks. Most are not reported in the press.

Every single death in Thailand is reported in the press, where, when, age, sex etc. 

Dont see that in Germany.

Yes, it was probably much higher yesterday in Germany. Once you start getting those sort of numbers you get cases falling through the cracks. Most are not reported in the press.

Every single death in Thailand is reported in the press, where, when, age, sex etc. 

Hrmmm... Don't see it in Thailand either. What you see reported is what has been told to reporters and remained unchecked. Thai reporters are lazy. If you want to know the reasons, look at any TV reportage and check out the reporter. Hey ho...

Hrmmm... Don't see it in Thailand either. What you see reported is what has been told to reporters and remained unchecked. Thai reporters are lazy. If you want to know the reason I say that, look at any Thai TV reportage and check out the reporter.

Hey ho...