frame mark on large and medium formats

hi there

in the old day (oh . . . my day), camera brands each made different signature mark that leaked into the edge of the frame. for example, Hasselblad has a triangle mark at the midpoint along the edge of the frame; Rollei has a different one, Sinar has another one . . .

what this signature mark called ?  could not able to find it in Google. I want to track some of the old pictures and identify which cameras took them.

thanks . . .

On 1/16/2021 at 9:19 AM, ETatBKK said:

hi there

in the old day (oh . . . my day), camera brands each made different signature mark that leaked into the edge of the frame. for example, Hasselblad has a triangle mark at the midpoint along the edge of the frame; Rollei has a different one, Sinar has another one . . .

what this signature mark called ?  could not able to find it in Google. I want to track some of the old pictures and identify which cameras took them.

thanks . . .

The mark you refer to? On the Neg or in Viewfinder?  I have Used Mamiya and Bronica and Yashica MF Cameras cant remember any marks.......... I Couldnt afford Blads and Rollei BTW. 

On 1/17/2021 at 11:54 AM, emanphoto said:

thanks eman

they call it NOTCH ?  with this as the search word, I cannot find the collection of notch on other cameras. I 'had' a photographic book in those dates that listed out all varieties of notch on the different brands. but I cannot find this book anymore.

my father-in-law has some very old 120 pictures that still print with the notch on the paper. I try to help him remembering what cameras he used for those pictures.

thanks . . .

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 12:12 PM, Al BB said:

The mark you refer to? On the Neg or in Viewfinder?  I have Used Mamiya and Bronica and Yashica MF Cameras cant remember any marks.......... I Couldnt afford Blads and Rollei BTW. 

good point, I refer to the frame notch on the FILM. in those days, all medium format and large format have marks on the frame, including Mamiya and Bronica (they are at the corners of the frame).

cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Notch is what I call it, not unlike the code notches you find on large format film like 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 sizes for example.  Seems to follow that these would be referred to as notches.

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&client=firefox-b-e&sxsrf=ALeKk035m1pnYxWCZzHP9qIWY-ZUgNui6Q%3A1613801222502&ei=BqcwYPvoHZaf4-EPl7KBwAw&q=notch+meaning&oq=Notch+&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYADIECAAQQzIECC4QQzICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADIICC4QxwEQrwEyAggAOgsILhCwAxCRAhCTAjoJCAAQsAMQBxAeUJVbWJVbYOSBAWgBcAB4AIABrwqIAb0SkgEDNy0ymAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesgBCsABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz

On 1/22/2021 at 10:02 PM, ETatBKK said:

thanks eman

they call it NOTCH ?  with this as the search word, I cannot find the collection of notch on other cameras. I 'had' a photographic book in those dates that listed out all varieties of notch on the different brands. but I cannot find this book anymore.

my father-in-law has some very old 120 pictures that still print with the notch on the paper. I try to help him remembering what cameras he used for those pictures.

thanks . . .

On 2/20/2021 at 1:41 PM, emanphoto said:

thanks eman

the FILM code notch PDF (your attachment) is a very useful reference too, thanks and I forget all about these ????

I am looking for indeed the FRAME NOTCH on different medium format cameras. on the internet there are many FRAMES available as a graphic overlay, but they don't refer to any of the camera brand.

cheers . . .

23 hours ago, ETatBKK said:

thanks eman

the FILM code notch PDF (your attachment) is a very useful reference too, thanks and I forget all about these ????

I am looking for indeed the FRAME NOTCH on different medium format cameras. on the internet there are many FRAMES available as a graphic overlay, but they don't refer to any of the camera brand.

cheers . . .

W/Hasselblad they came w/whatever notches they came with from the factory and some photogs might have added their own so they knew which back shot what.  Not sure if there ever was any standardisation of any brand, make, or model.

Edited by emanphoto
  • Like 1