Thai people more willing to take COVID-19 vaccine than anyone else

rooster59

Thai people more willing to take COVID-19 vaccine than anyone else

download (1).jpg

Image: Reuters file photo

Thais are more willing to be vaccinated against COVID-19 than those from any other country.

According to a poll conducted by YouGov, 83 percent of Thai people are willing to take the vaccine when it becomes available to them.

After Thailand, the study found that Britain and Denmark, at 80 and 70 percent, respectively, was where willingness to take the vaccine was high. 

Least likely to take the vaccine were the Polish and French, the study found.

The study said that there was distrust in France with regards to taking vaccines.

The news comes as Thailand is about to start issuing vaccinations against COVID-19.

Starting next month, frontline health workers and those deemed most vulnerable will be given the vaccine.

By April, the Thai government says it will have vaccinated 1 million people, while the second phase of vaccinations will begin in May and will eventually see 26  million people vaccinated.

Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 11.01.23.png

The third phase of vaccinations will begin in early 2022 and will see 70% of the general population vaccinated so that herd immunity can be developed.

Earlier this week, Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health gave approval for local authorities to pay and run their own vaccination programs.

On Thursday, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration suggested that it will spend as much as 10 billion baht on vaccinating 5 million of the capital's residents for Covid-19. 

In Pattaya, the resort’s mayor Sontaya Khunpluem met with local officials to discuss plans  to vaccinate 120,000 of the city’s inhabitants at a cost of 80 million baht.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-16

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Of course they are. - - trained from birth to take hundreds of unnecessary medicines everytime they visit the Dr, or over the counter supplies from every pharmacy in the country. 

Most of the Thai's i know seldom visit a doctor.

Example, wife of 16 years has never been since we've been together.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Of course they are. - - trained from birth to take hundreds of unnecessary medicines everytime they visit the Dr, or over the counter supplies from every pharmacy in the country. 

17 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Same with my wife, kind of. She's been to see Doctors (baby, women's problems, etc.), but she's not big on pills.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Artisi said:

I am Thai and I will not get a shot. My last visit the hospital was 4 years ago for medical check up.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, pailyn said:

I am Thai and I will not get a shot. My last visit the hospital was 4 years ago for medical check up.

Pity there aren't a lot more like you (and me), the less I see of hospitals and Dr's the better. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Many Thais simply visit the local pharmacy for advice and prescriptions.

When the price of the COVID vaccination is released, we may see the numbers drop. 

A country full of people who don’t have protected speech, live under an iron fist rule, and have been brainwashed into worshiping a certain someone is first in line to get the vaccine. Shocking news.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

Wow, Thailand number 1, this seems to happen very often.

Well since this covid came out of Wuhan and has now mutated in the UK, the Thais have shown the world how to handle it.

They listen to medical advice from medical experts. Populations from countries that have failed miserably tended to listen to idiot politicians and wackos on the Internet.

The score is on the board.

Edited by Natai Beach
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2021 at 4:31 PM, gafdtomaka366 said:

When one gets a shot:

* there'll be risk of cathing the virus still

* there's no guarantee of safety of a vaccine 5-10 years down the road, in terms of side-effects that would affect one's heath

* there's no guarantee of safety even in the short term (50-60% efficiency)

* one doesn't know how harmful would be the actual virus otherwise - whether or not harmful at all

* or whether or not one has already contracted it and recovered, with no symptoms that is, and thus has immunity

* one still has to wear a mask

* basically, after a shot, nothing will change for the better, but possibly only for the worse

I don't understand something. Why would one, an average person with no deseases, normal immunity, want a vaccine?

I agree about all these points. Some Thais also see it that way. 

I think this poll is useless. How many Thais were polled? Were they all government loving middle class yellow shirts? Because if yes, they're the most likely demographic in the country to believe anything they're told without doing any of their own research (a close second are the young CNN loving red shirts). They're also the type who are most likely to go to hospital for the sniffles and walk out with a bag of pills.

Because I think as far as the overall population of Thailand is concerned, there are a lot of people who mistrust vaccines. Hill tribes, southern Muslims, the highly educated elite, spouses of farang and those leading alternative lifestyles, and possibly some of the middle aged and elderly rural folk. Sure, collectively they may only make up around 5-10% of the total population, but still.

Either way, I've seen vaccination statistics posted at a government office, and uptake is far from universal and less than I expected (universal defined as being around 97-99%). For Hep B and BCG, it's as high as 96% because they're given at birth unless you opt out, but after that a significant portion of the working classes and highly educated are unlikely to go in for more vaccines. Especially those living in very remote areas. Uptake of certain vaccines is only around 50-80% nationwide. 

I remember reading somewhere that Bangladesh had the highest trust in vaccination worldwide. 

I read some of the comments (in Thai) on the YouGov FB page. Several Thais have said they won't be getting it. And those are only the ones that jumped out at me. It seems that more were saying they won't get it than will.

Hence why I think the poll tells us nothing. 

• Like 1