"Mor Chana" app team have not resigned, says Digital economy minister

webfact

"Mor Chana" app team have not resigned, says Digital economy minister

4pm1.jpg

Picture: Sanok

Thailand's minister for Digital economy and Society Buddhipongse Punnakanta denied media reports that people working on the controversial tracing app "Mor Chana" had resigned. 

He insisted that up to 100 people who had been working on the app for a year continued to work on the system well and cooperate in the solving of issues related to the app. 

On Facebook influential site "Mor Lab Panda" said that different approaches from groups "Gen X" and "Gen Y" and subsequent involvement of others had led to problems. 

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The site called on cooperation between groups to resolve issues. 

The app has been beset with problems with Mor Lab Panda saying that it served the interests of groups who came after the original volunteer developers rather than those of the general public. 

Sources: Sanook | Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-19

2 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Canada-based academic and developer Loy Chunpongtong on Sunday told Thai media that the government’s drive to control the app meant that it was not serving its original purpose, leading the developers to withdraw from the public-private team.

Medical technologist Parkpoom Dejhutsadin on Monday said “various agencies” were allegedly putting pressure to keep some infected users’ status as green in the app, effectively hiding their status from other users, rather than changing it to orange or red and allowing others to avoid a risk of contagion.”

So users of this app can now rest assured that the Thai govt has their best interests at heart.

Government interference...in Thailand...never. If this is true and I stress IF, this is a total deriliction of the givernments duty of care to its people. Basically means the app is worthless and not fit for purpose. No wonder the digital economy minister is scrabbling to put out a press release denying everything. 

56 minutes ago, webfact said:

The app has been beset with problems with Mor Lab Panda saying that it served the interests of groups who came after the original volunteer developers rather than those of the general public.

Look !  DATA ...  Ka-ching!

Showed up at MTT yesterday to do a 90 day report due to on-line issues.  Went to go into the building and was asked to scan the QR code.  Opened up the Mor Chana app and tried to scan the QR code and it came up forbidden, tried again and it did it again.  The female IO at the front door then told me that the Mor Chana app does not work at immigration and I had to open up either line or my camera to scan the QR code.  Makes no sense that the government is spouting off about using the Mor Chana app, but they in turn do not use it at their location at MTT.  Total hypocrisy. 

• Confused 1

Don't believe a word of the 'resigned' story. Have you ever used a Thai-written app? No bugs, works every time, well planned for a multi-language user base. Reliable. Excellent stuff all around.

Such application developers will never be out of a job, so no need to spit the dummy or anything like that...

Edited by Glaswegian2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grusa said:

I use ThaiChana. Does anyone know the differences?

Mor Chana actually makes Thai Chana redundant as it has its own QR scanner. So you don't need both. But MC will in theory notify you if you have been in an infected or high risk area or near an infected person, assuming those have been identified as such. It uses Bluetooth, GPS and the QR code combined. ThaiChana doesn't use Bluetooth.

12 hours ago, Grusa said:

10 hours ago, bradiston said:

Mor Chana actually makes Thai Chana redundant as it has its own QR scanner. So you don't need both. But MC will in theory notify you if you have been in an infected or high risk area or near an infected person, assuming those have been identified as such. It uses Bluetooth, GPS and the QR code combined. ThaiChana doesn't use Bluetooth.

Thank you. I too use Thai Chana to register when I enter places  so equipped. It seems to work well. 

Is Mor Chana intended to replace it, or will they continue to work in parallel?

Edited by herfiehandbag

The government has been pushing this app HARD for the past few weeks. The CCSA daily update provides much propaganda on it: number of downloads, use, Q & A, how brilliant it is, that every true Thai citizen should use it as their patriotic duty.

Never seen the authorities push anything so hard here, ever.

34 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

The government has been pushing this app HARD for the past few weeks. The CCSA daily update provides much propaganda on it: number of downloads, use, Q & A, how brilliant it is, that every true Thai citizen should use it as their patriotic duty.

Never seen the authorities push anything so hard here, ever.

True track and tracing application, yet at MTT Immigration it is not in use.....go figure.  Wonder about at any of the immigration or government buildings if they are using it or not.  If not it means their own people do not want to be tracked every step of their day....hmmm.  I just deleted it as it was always asking for permissions.

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The app would be worth something if the government kept out of it.... maybe it's the government that's not fit for purpose?

Maybe it is. Now there's a thought...

Nah, the mad horseman would be on the rampage at the first hint of criticism.

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

True track and tracing application, yet at MTT Immigration it is not in use.....go figure.  Wonder about at any of the immigration or government buildings if they are using it or not.  If not it means their own people do not want to be tracked every step of their day....hmmm.  I just deleted it as it was always asking for permissions.

There was no QR code available at Jomtien immigration 2 days ago, no social distancing and no sanitizer. Just the usual throng, bumping into each other, wedged in the door. BUT they very kindly and quickly gave me a 90 day notification receipt, no questions except where are you staying. And they updated my passport number.

Not sure why it was always asking for permissions. It does need to know your location, and probably use of camera to scan the QR codes. Usually it's a one off request. At least it doesn't ask for your list of contacts!

3 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Not sure why it was always asking for permissions. It does need to know your location, and probably use of camera to scan the QR codes. Usually it's a one off request. At least it doesn't ask for your list of contacts!

Probably because I turn my location off as well as my blue tooth in order to extend my battery life If I am not using my smartwatch or my earbuds.....that's the only reason I can think of after doing some research, but then I do not trust them wanting to know my location 24/7, plus it and the Thai Chana app will not work if I am running my VPN on my phone and scan the QR code using my camera or the Line App.  "Error 403 Forbidden" pops up until I turn off the VPN, then it works magically.

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Probably because I turn my location off as well as my blue tooth in order to extend my battery life If I am not using my smartwatch or my earbuds.....that's the only reason I can think of after doing some research, but then I do not trust them wanting to know my location 24/7, plus it and the Thai Chana app will not work if I am running my VPN on my phone and scan the QR code using my camera or the Line App.  "Error 403 Forbidden" pops up until I turn off the VPN, then it works magically.

Well of course, if your VPN server is in Canada for instance, the app is not going to be able to make sense of your location at all!

I'm not trying to promote its use. I have it installed and it's always on. I'm not fussed about my whereabouts being known, though I guess I COULD be if I was in certain places at certain times, if you follow. But the overriding factor is prevention of the spread of the virus, so who cares, unless you're engaged in some serious criminality. Sure, don't forget to turn off location and Bluetooth if you're about to rob a bank!

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2021 at 11:07 AM, webfact said:

He insisted that up to 100 people who had been working on the app for a year continued to work on the system well and cooperate in the solving of issues related to the app. 

Could easily knock this platform out in 6 months with less than 20 solid developers. Most likely less than 10 developers.

Edited by timendres

22 hours ago, Grusa said:

In fact, ThaiChana is no application, it's browser based. ThaiChana just a location logbook, MorChana can detect, trace and warn people in contact with Covid cases.