Phuket Smart Bus grinds to a halt – again

webfact

Phuket Smart Bus grinds to a halt – again

By The Phuket News

1611137093_1-org.jpg

Phuket Smart Bus is out of action again due to lack of tourists. Photo: Shela Riva / file

PHUKET: The Phuket Smart Bus has stopped running, again, due to the lack of people on the island using the service

The Smart Bus stopped playing its way from the airport to Rawai yesterday (Jan 19).

The Phuket Smart Bus is the only true form of public transport on the island that carries passengers from one tourism beach resort town to another all along Phuket’s west coast.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-smart-bus-grinds-to-a-halt-again-78720.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-01-21

• Sad 1

I had a Thai friend take it from Rawai to the airport the other day. She asked several people along the route, when it was running, as the schedule info on the bus stop differed from the schedule info on the web site.

No one had even heard of it. She asked two street vendors whose businesses faced the street and both claimed there wasn't any bus. She asked a waitress and the waitress said she'd never seen nor heard o if it. A few minutes later, the big, blue, modern bus rolled by the windows of the restaurant.

When the time came to ride the bus, my friend was the lone passenger.

• Thanks 1

Hardly surprising that a service principally created to transport tourists cheaply from the airport to their main destinations has to close down. 

Virtually all tourist related businesses on the Island have been forced to shut their doors with the almost complete absence of international travellers.

Hopefully the service will be able to resume when (if) the world returns to normality.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Unify said:

I had a Thai friend take it from Rawai to the airport the other day. She asked several people along the route, when it was running, as the schedule info on the bus stop differed from the schedule info on the web site.

No one had even heard of it. She asked two street vendors whose businesses faced the street and both claimed there wasn't any bus. She asked a waitress and the waitress said she'd never seen nor heard o if it. A few minutes later, the big, blue, modern bus rolled by the windows of the restaurant.

When the time came to ride the bus, my friend was the lone passenger.

Sounds like normal Thai incompetence. Bus stop timetable says one thing, website says something different. And I'd guess that no-one has heard of it anyway as there was no promotion of it when it began or since.
An entirely difference circumstance, but a few years ago a handful of Nana Plaza bars tried operating during the afternoon. Of course, they didn't promote it, even putting a sign up at the entrance to the Plaza to say bars were open never occurred to them, so guess whether they dropped the idea due to lack of customers.

• Like 1

@Unify, Smart Bus website had the revised Covid schedule posted, on their website a few months ago when they resumed service. I'm sorry your Thai friend didn't see it, it wouldn't have been logical to change all the physical signs for a temporary situation. 

It's really a shame, I used it frequently, it's a good service. Hope to see it back soon. 

• Like 2

Back in November I took it 3 times - Kamala-Kata, Kata -Patong &  Patong-Airport each time it was within 10 minutes of stated time & worked perfectly. Its an essential part of the tourism infrastructure for many travellers Thai/farang.

• Like 1