How Do You Make A Living In Thailand?

Ruperts

MTW, sweetheart, you are the one doing the complaining here, in a very lawyer-like fashion, I might add. We are not the plaintiffs in the case you are constructing about your litany of woes. Lighten up and cut back on the verbiage. We don't need to know the blow-by-blow (shut up, Bendix) saga and the number of stitches needed for each of your dramas. Chill, Lady, Chill.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, I don't know how to take "give me a hug, but shut up." I don't know why what I write seems to bother some people so much. And, like I said, if you look, at least half my post are about animals here, not about Thailand.

But really, why does what I write piss off some people? I think I am fairly FAIR, in that I am careful to say what happened to me, not just make stupid one-liner comments that say Thai people are ALL XZXZXZX, like some people do.

I don't have anything to say about bargirls or the sex trade since I am not a part of that. I don't work here, illegally or otherwise. Can you tell me what exactly bothers you so much. I can PM at least Jet about my people who post here and who know me. I really don't feel that I should have to do this in public, since none of you are.

I'm very confused. If you think my contribution here is worthless, maybe I should just quit and only read which is what I used to do. Maybe I should take a poll?

MTW, sweetheart, you are the one doing the complaining here, in a very lawyer-like fashion, I might add. We are not the plaintiffs in the case you are constructing about your litany of woes. Lighten up and cut back on the verbiage. We don't need to know the blow-by-blow (shut up, Bendix) saga and the number of stitches needed for each of your dramas. Chill, Lady, Chill.

tread carefully :o I had to eventually use ignore with this situation :D

Gee, I don't know how to take "give me a hug, but shut up." I don't know why what I write seems to bother some people so much. And, like I said, if you look, at least half my post are about animals here, not about Thailand.

But really, why does what I write piss off some people? I think I am fairly FAIR, in that I am careful to say what happened to me, not just make stupid one-liner comments that say Thai people are ALL XZXZXZX, like some people do.

I don't have anything to say about bargirls or the sex trade since I am not a part of that. I don't work here, illegally or otherwise. Can you tell me what exactly bothers you so much. I can PM at least Jet about my people who post here and who know me. I really don't feel that I should have to do this in public, since none of you are.

I'm very confused. If you think my contribution here is worthless, maybe I should just quit and only read which is what I used to do. Maybe I should take a poll?

MTW, if it helps any, being a lawyer, and very successful well off, will always set you up for attack. I should know. You should expect that. However, I do admit the bit with the fake gun was pretty wild!

Well, I thought actually explaining a situation might be better than just saying things like "most Thai people will find a way to screw you out of your money" and people can judge for themselves what they think.

I thought I had actually added some information that might be lacking here, for whatever reason. Sorry I do it in a lawyer-like way, but I don't really see that as being bad. We all have different lives, different educations, and different experiences.

Why is my experience less worthy than some of yours? If you don't like that I write too much, how about you just don't read it?

You are definitely not worthless, MTW. Just lighten up. You do not need to send info to me about your worthiness. Take a break!

JD, I thought you had me on ignore already, you charmer, you! :o

I could never ignore you! a post count that high in 6 months? impossible to ignore!

Well, to respond to chinthee,

the gun thing was not made up, and the person who posts here who knows me will probably remember this situation.

When I was in law school, I did an internship as a parole officer, because I was intersted in corrections quite a lot. However, people who work in this area, make very little money, and I was not able to make a career out of it, because of that fact. Tonight, I even wrote to one of the posters here that I PM sometimes, and talked about this. So if you want to know if I am full of shit, ask Quertz, because I sent him a message tonight about that very thing.

I took a marksmanship class at my university, and then took some private lessons from an FBI guy. Parole officers carry guns and have to pass the same test as police officers. I did not have to take all the same tests as I was only doing an internship, however, I had real cases to handle, did put people back in prison, and dealt with sex offenders and a small amount of mentally ill offenders who had murdered people. If you don't think this is enough reason to learn to use a gun, and that I could not have gotten enough confidence/training to use one here, well I don't know what to say.

Maybe like JDinasia, you don't think I not am really in Thailand also??

You are definitely not worthless, MTW. Just lighten up. You do not need to send info to me about your worthiness. Take a break!

JD, I thought you had me on ignore already, you charmer, you! :D

I could never ignore you! a post count that high in 6 months? impossible to ignore!

Sweet talker. :o

MTW, maybe just make the posts shorter. Do a slick precis.

Well, to respond to chinthee,

the gun thing was not made up, and the person who posts here who knows me will probably remember this situation.

When I was in law school, I did an internship as a parole officer, because I was intersted in corrections quite a lot. However, people who work in this area, make very little money, and I was not able to make a career out of it, because of that fact. Tonight, I even wrote to one of the posters here that I PM sometimes, and talked about this. So if you want to know if I am full of shit, ask Quertz, because I sent him a message tonight about that very thing.

I took a marksmanship class at my university, and then took some private lessons from an FBI guy. Parole officers carry guns and have to pass the same test as police officers. I did not have to take all the same tests as I was only doing an internship, however, I had real cases to handle, did put people back in prison, and dealt with sex offenders and a small amount of mentally ill offenders who had murdered people. If you don't think this is enough reason to learn to use a gun, and that I could not have gotten enough confidence/training to use one here, well I don't know what to say.

Maybe like JDinasia, you don't think I not am really in Thailand also??

Whoa Nelly! I was offering you support. I am also very capable with weapons, and really miss not owning guns here. I would just have diffused that situation differently. Really, don't be defensive, some of us are offering support.

Hi chinthee,

I didn't think you were not supporting me, I just wanted to answer your question. BTW, Carey Grant is my dream man and my favorite actor of all time.

And if you would have handled the situation differently than I did, good for you. I hope you would have had success. However, I think farang men are in nowhere near the same situation as farang women who come here alone, and have problems. I mean, you are not in danger of being raped by your workers in most cases. My worker had made unwanted sexual advances towards me, even though I knew his wife, and she was supposed to be living with me, but never showed up. Do you think I would have had a good chance at claiming rape, when he lived on my land, never brought his wife which was the deal I made, was drunk and angry at me for firing him, and I let him come on my property at midnight?? And I suspect that he told people that I was his girlfriend or some crap like that because of unusual looks I used to get at Big C, or Tesco, when he would run into friends he knew, and was pushing the cart. (Since I didn't like to just pay him to wait in the car outside.)

Do you think he was afraid of my fists? He knew all my dogs so that wasn't really something to deter him.

Can you really suggest something that would have worked better. I was kind of embarrassed to write about that, but was so pissed off that one particular poster kept saying I liked to be a victim that night, that I decided to write this story as an attempt to show that not all the same people were taking advantage of me, and that I did not sit on my ass and do nothing about it.

Hi chinthee,

I didn't think you were not supporting me, I just wanted to answer your question. BTW, Carey Grant is my dream man and my favorite actor of all time.

And if you would have handled the situation differently than I did, good for you. I hope you would have had success. However, I think farang men are in nowhere near the same situation as farang women who come here alone, and have problems. I mean, you are not in danger of being raped by your workers in most cases. My worker had made unwanted sexual advances towards me, even though I knew his wife, and she was supposed to be living with me, but never showed up. Do you think I would have had a good chance at claiming rape, when he lived on my land, never brought his wife which was the deal I made, was drunk and angry at me for firing him, and I let him come on my property at midnight?? And I suspect that he told people that I was his girlfriend or some crap like that because of unusual looks I used to get at Big C, or Tesco, when he would run into friends he knew, and was pushing the cart. (Since I didn't like to just pay him to wait in the car outside.)

Do you think he was afraid of my fists? He knew all my dogs so that wasn't really something to deter him.

Can you really suggest something that would have worked better. I was kind of embarrassed to write about that, but was so pissed off that one particular poster kept saying I liked to be a victim that night, that I decided to write this story as an attempt to show that not all the same people were taking advantage of me, and that I did not sit on my ass and do nothing about it.

MTW, I will definitely admit that a farang woman is in a different predicament than a man. I would just say that in Thailand those kinds of approaches can often lead to retribution later and can be dangerous, for any gender.

Yeah, Carey was great, though Bogie and Steve Mcq. give him a run. I think Audrey Hepburn is the greatest ever for me.

Hi chinthee,

LOL . I do actually love your stories MTW. You have a wonderful way of telling them so that we have every possible detail.

Only the British members will understand this, but when I read them I have this image in my head of Les Dawson, in full northern housewife outfit, gossiping over the backfence with her friend, both of them too busy talking over each other to listen.

Love it. Bugger law . you should be a novelist.

(PS . . this is one of the rare occasions when i'm posting without irony).

As far as sheets, I cannot find any cheap sheets here that are just one color, cotton, and have a top sheet, and have spent basically $500 a set from Robinsons, on sale, for a king size bed, and I need more than one set per bed since I don't have a clothes drier here and even getting them washed takes several machine loads and then time to dry in nature.

MTW, I will sell you as many as you want one color 100% cotton name brand King Size sheet sets for $250 set--just let me know. I will be making about $200 on each set, but you will be saving $250 per set so that shouldn't bother you! :o

As far as sheets, I cannot find any cheap sheets here that are just one color, cotton, and have a top sheet, and have spent basically $500 a set from Robinsons, on sale, for a king size bed, and I need more than one set per bed since I don't have a clothes drier here and even getting them washed takes several machine loads and then time to dry in nature.

My earlier post should have looked like this--sorry!

MTW, I will sell you as many as you want one color 100% cotton name brand King Size sheet sets for $250 set--just let me know. I will be making about $200 on each set, but you will be saving $250 per set so that shouldn't bother you! :o

LOS is not yet a migrant worker-friendly place. I judge from your age that you have no pension plan and a slender savings account, if any. As you're young and barely initiated maybe a few tips on what not to do would be more suitable, i.e.

Don't fall prey to a woman making high demands on your budget.

Don't listen to dodgy farangs or Thais speaking good English and making tempting business offers.

Don't go the English teacher route unless you're qualified and experienced. Otherwise it can be very hard, low paid work.

Don't even consider investing in a bar.

Don't invest in a "family" business.

Don't overstay your visa.

Don't marry without due and long consideration of local mores.

Don't get into dope and alcohol.

Don't fail to learn some necessary Thai e.g. counting, polite address etc.

Don't discount the wealth of good advice you can pick up from this forum.

If many of these don'ts sound familiar it's because most of these basic rules of caution are applicable on any foreign turf.

Good luck and many happy returns.

True True & Sane Same Same.....sound advice

I plan on trying my hand at growing Mango's limes ginger root Longan Durian & whatever else both the Farangs & the Thais eat & require every day. I think the fruits & vegetables that fetch top baht & used by all daily will be the ticket. After watching friends lose their butts in beer bars & restaurants . and a failed sucessful beauty salon(even though it made money).

I have farmed before in Hawaii & Oregon with great success along with that I will grow for ourselves corn peas & all the other needed vegetables.

RUPERT although you are not me, when I was 23 I made 40,000 baht a week & spent 40,000 baht a week. Even if you are in Buriram you will need more than 10,000 baht. My girl's families nut is higher than that & all they do is watch Quai out in the neighbors field all day long. They own their own house & have a well no TV NO Radio No wash machine etc. Alisa tells me about 16,000 baht . a month & believe me that is super bare bones. I have kicked them down $4000.00 to set them up with Tub Tim Farming(Fish) to keep them going. not a lot of funds to make out there unless you got a bankroll a good plan & the blessings of Budda.

Been there, & it is no fun & certainly no way for an adventuring 23 year old. I spent more money in my Hippy years. I would not care to live on the cheap for a while in Chiang Mai as it is a nice city with a lot to do. Unless you want to live like an old fart. Stay in England make enough for 4 million baht in your pocket. I am not saying to be a high roller! 4 million for me in Pattaya will last 6-8 years. Mind you I do not drink Take my girl to the movies 2 times a year. I live modest. you would enjoy 30,000 baht or more a month to make Thailand a very memorable experience & you could put together a game plan during your stay at home. I am now 51 years old . I think the average age in this forum is probably 60 or so & most have pensions.

My advice Enjoy Thailand . there are 41,000,000+women here . if your 40 you can still be with a woman any age over 18.

you will find women 30+ to be the best bracket as Asian women are not really into sex like western women & they seem to learn around 30-36 years old whats happenin in Sex world. Don't worry you got plenty of time yet to fall in love. There is an upkeep on the Thai women to keep them happy(not talkin bout bar girls) You got clothes gold ring shoes............& it is very cheap compared to our countries. But Thailand really is a drag being broke! I do not think any poster will tell you different.

And there really is an abundance of girls just waiting to hook up. I might be 51- but I love hip hop Rock & roll- metal concerts & still enjoy the things I did in my 20's. but seriously Thailand is predominantly made up of older male Farangs that already made their funds somewhat solid. I can make $400.00 U.S. as a favor to people & break out my Paint guns & paint 6-7 cars in a day &

take home$1800.00-$1900.00 a day in the U.S. Very few are making good money here as viewed by other posters. some are doing well but this country is more about trying to top up what you brought with you. I wish I would have came up here with 10,000,000 as next year I will go back to the U.S. & make some serious bank so I can retire here.

Be smart when in Thailand use your big head & not the little one as the women can be very crafty! Thailand Rocks visit & save up so you can do it in style! I probably spend close to 40,000 baht to live in the city of sin PATTAYA! No complaints but even on a low budget back packin shuffle life is far more enjoyable when you have funds. Maybe when I get to be 80 I won't require treating myself good & maybe if I am lucky I will take the clue from DR. Naam & others & step up to the plate & really do it in style. Done it both ways Cheap Charlie & High on the Hog & Hoggen it is much better!!!!!!!!!!

Peace What ever you decide on .

And no it isn't about what you got , but it sure makes something great even more enjoyable!

Young At Heart

Beardog :o Peace Out!

Edited by Beardog

you will find women 30+ to be the best bracket as Asian women are not really into sex like western women & they seem to learn around 30-36 years old whats happenin in Sex world.

And the prize for ThaiVisa's Most Bizarre Statement of the Year goes to . . . .

My earlier post should have looked like this--sorry!

And in Pahurat the same size cloth, 100% cotton (not name brand), from the roll will cost you less than 10 US$, and another 2 or 3 bucks will get the rims sewn up by the corner shop tailor.

Me and my buddy wanna start a bank in thailand. We will start by setting up the bank and do all the legal things in the first place. Then we'll hire some guys to spread out the word around bangkok mouth to mouth, use the internet, spread flyers around the major shopping malls.

In the mean time we will be working ordinary jobs. Hes studying economics, I'm studying maths but hopefully medicine soon. He'll be working in europe, while I'm working in Thailand (hopefully in a hospital) and setting things up. We'll start with around $7000 and invest it gold, weapons and oil. We are playing it safe first till we get more customers. We will offer clients a higher interest rate then the banks in Thailand. They will just start rolling in one after another. More customers is more money to invest. With more money we can take bigger risks and possibly make even better profits. We can even use the money to invest in research, sustainable energy sources or whatever. More money invested in universities/research = more name = more street credibility = more business partners = more money. We'll not just be a financial bank but we'll be a whole institute for research and education. We'll train and educate potential thai talents to work for us. Most likely we'll focus on sustainable energy sources and build a whole facility for that. We'll also donate to charity

We'll be rich in no time. Making money has never been so easy. Now I told you my secret so I hope you dont betray my trust

Me and my buddy wanna start a bank in thailand. We will start by setting up the bank and do all the legal things in the first place. Then we'll hire some guys to spread out the word around bangkok mouth to mouth, use the internet, spread flyers around the major shopping malls.

In the mean time we will be working ordinary jobs. Hes studying economics, I'm studying maths but hopefully medicine soon. He'll be working in europe, while I'm working in Thailand (hopefully in a hospital) and setting things up. We'll start with around $7000 and invest it gold, weapons and oil. We are playing it safe first till we get more customers. We will offer clients a higher interest rate then the banks in Thailand. They will just start rolling in one after another. More customers is more money to invest. With more money we can take bigger risks and possibly make even better profits. We can even use the money to invest in research, sustainable energy sources or whatever. More money invested in universities/research = more name = more street credibility = more business partners = more money. We'll not just be a financial bank but we'll be a whole institute for research and education. We'll train and educate potential thai talents to work for us. Most likely we'll focus on sustainable energy sources and build a whole facility for that. We'll also donate to charity

We'll be rich in no time. Making money has never been so easy. Now I told you my secret so I hope you dont betray my trust

Out of the fifty odd business plans I look at per year, this one would have to the most professional one with the highest possiblity of success!!!! :o

Send me you prospectus, quickly... :D:D

Cheers,

Soundman.

Okay everyone, in defense of my too expensive sheets, which I readily agree are too expensive, I should tell you all that that included 4 pillowcases, not just two, as well as two covers for those long round Thai pillows.

The reason I brought them up was because that was an expense I was not expecting to be more expensive than in Los Angeles, as I have found many other things to be as well. Just check out car prices for example. Or Levis.

And Blizzard, you are right, law school does not teach street smarts, it doesn't even really teach you how to be a lawyer in many ways. They say it teaches us "how to think like one."

Thanks to those people with cheaper sheet ideas.