US Topic: Anyone have experience with mail forwarding/physical address service in California?

I am moving to Thailand soon, I would like to keep some options open if things in Thailand don't work out for me.

I would like to keep my professional license and my credit union membership that require a CA mailing address.

Anyone have experience with mail forwarding/physical address service in California?

Are these a good solution?

Is there a better alternative?

Thanks Cdemundo

It's simple really. Just arrange to have your mail sent to a relative or close friend. Mine goes to my sisters house. She throws away what isn't important, and emails me if anything comes that looks important (new credit cards, etc.). Once a year I visit LA and collect my mail. Anything really important I have her mail to me.  The only issue that arose was about 12 years ago when CA wanted to know why I stopped filing Income Taxes. I had my CPA (a cousin) call them and explain that I no longer live in the state, but simply use my sisters mail address. I hope that's easy for you to do. It's worked out great for me.....

• Like 1
19 hours ago, cdemundo said:

I am moving to Thailand soon, I would like to keep some options open if things in Thailand don't work out for me.

I would like to keep my professional license and my credit union membership that require a CA mailing address.

Anyone have experience with mail forwarding/physical address service in California?

Are these a good solution?

Is there a better alternative?

Thanks Cdemundo

I have been using virtualpostmail.com for several years.  Great service.  I use that address for my SchoolsFirst credit union account.  But one caveat is that the VPM address will not show as a real address for any service that checks.  For example, you can’t use it to renew your CA drivers license, or open a brokerage account.  But I have US credit cards that use the VPM address without any issues.  VPM can even be used to deposit a check on your behalf.  Feel free to DM me if you have questions.

• Like 1

Just a thought ...why the hell are you still in CA???????

I moved away from the high tax state and use a mail service in Las Vegas.....killed two birds with one small stone....got out of Ca and pay no state tax and get great mail service all rolled into one.....????????????????????????????????????????

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

I moved away from the high tax state and use a mail service in Las Vegas.....killed two birds with one small stone....got out of Ca and pay no state tax and get great mail service all rolled into one.....????????????????????????????????????????

Are you living in Thailand?  And had good luck with a mail service in Las Vegas?  What service do you use?

30 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

I moved away from the high tax state and use a mail service in Las Vegas.....killed two birds with one small stone....got out of Ca and pay no state tax and get great mail service all rolled into one.....????????????????????????????????????????Because we can afford it 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Did the same but for FL, virtual mail services make it easy.  In the right circumstances also makes establishing residence in the new state a lot easier as well.  Goodbye state taxes ???? 

• Like 1

bprhodes post is spot-on. Also, with Virtualpostmail.com you can choose an address in California, Nevada, or Delaware.

There are many mail forwarding companies out there, but beware that some that offer many addresses in many states, may actually just be contracting with private mail-service companies in those locations to use their address, and security of your mail at those locations my be questionable.

• Like 1

There may be some technicalities.  I use my daughter’s address in Washington state for the billing address for some of my credit cards.  Purchases with these are always charged the Washington State sales tax.  The state has no state tax so I have no worries about implied residence.  California is tricky.  I had a mail-forwarding address at a friend’s house in Huntington Beach during my first years in Japan.  California tracked me down and telephoned me in Tokyo.  The state had filed a lien against me in Orange County.  The tax official agreed to cancel the lien but I can’t get Orange County to remove it.  I don’t plan to live in the USA again for a while but who knows the eventual legal implications.  I retain the document removing the lien but just can’t get Orange County to remove the lien.  I think that it’s best to avoid California.  Their tax collection is really aggressive.

• Like 2

I've used Shipito for several years now with a mailing address in Hawthorne CA, and it has worked well.

As said above, such "virtual addresses" won't work for all purposes.  A friend of mine who lives in Thailand used a similar service in Illinois.   He had a VISA credit card which was not available for non-US residents and used that IL address for many years.  When he called to upgrade to a different level of VISA card, the rep on the phone said "The building at that address doesn't look like a residence, are you sure about this address?"  Apparently she was using Google Earth Street View to look. (!)

• Like 1

I use PhysicalAddress.com. They scan my mail and destroy any mail I don’t want. They will forward any checks to my bank account to be deposited for postage costs of less than a dollar.

They will forward any mail I want to anywhere I want for small postage fee. They will store my mail but I don’t use that service. When I am in the USA I can actually pick up my mail from their office for free.

I  can save my scanned mail to my email or laptop or anyplace I choose. 

Frankly I was forced to use this service when my office address closed. I now love it and it is not expensive and is a growing business in the USA. Perfect for someone that travels and wants to see their mail daily on their iPhone or tablet. 

I have had no issues with new credit cards and bank cards being mailed to my address using this service. I have had no issues with all my banks and brokerage firms and drivers license using this as my resident address or office address. 

Edited by Wake Up
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies.  Very helpful.  Some things I had not thought of as well.  My tax situation is very simple and I don't think that using a CA address will be an issue.  I have a niece who could do this for me but it seems like I would be asking a lot as she has a pretty full plate (as they say) already.  So I am reluctant to ask her.  Interesting how much the fees different but some seem reasonable and I think I will use one in CA.

Again, thanks for all the informative replies I appreciate it.

cdemundo

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Wake Up said:

I use PhysicalAddress.com.

Thanks for the tip on the physicaladdress service. I’ve been using virtualpostmail for awhile, and although I have been very pleased with their service, the price has gone up since I first opened my account with them. physicaladdress offers some very competitive pricing, and there Free check deposit service is a bonus. virtualpost charges $10 dollars to do a check deposit. Also, although my virtualpost plan includes 10 free content scans per month, I find I don’t usually need to scan as much as I thought I would, so the $0.20 per scan that physicaladdress charges is reasonable, especially considering that their monthly fees are so low. I also like that they offer an app for your phone.

Edited by srowndedbyh2o
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, Ireland32 said:
21 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

I moved away from the high tax state and use a mail service in Las Vegas.....killed two birds with one small stone....got out of Ca and pay no state tax and get great mail service all rolled into one.....????????????????????????????????????????Because we can afford it 

Good for you.....sorry I do not feel your pain....????