Direct Flights From Nyc To Bangkok

Colby

Has anyone taken the direct flight from New York City to Bangkok on Thai Airways?

If so, can you provide any feedback on it?

Thanks,

Colby

They were talking about ending them awhile back, I wouldn't book too far ahead.

I saw a magazine review that was extremely favourable, so far as epic flight times go.

I've taken their non-stop flight a couple of times. Takes about 17 hours from JFK to BKK. The level of service is about what you would expect for any good airline. It was actually quite decent compared to other carriers I have flown into BKK, including JAL, United, American, and China Air. Personally I enjoy the on-demand audio and video that is offered. Drinks are free; the food for the most part is good. Flight attendants are nice and cheerful. Round trip if purchased thru the Thai Airlines website runs about $1089 (or thereabouts).

Btw, I have also flown Thai Airlines non-stop from LAX. The experience at JFK was a 1000 times better because LAX is a "zoo".

Edited by Gumballl

Flew into NYC from BKK and back from LA. The flight was smooth and as Gumball said the extras were great. The only negative was the music choices they had. They just didn't have stuff I like. They could add more. I would do it again but price might stop me.

The best trip I have ever had was nonstop from Singapore to LAX. All the seats were deluxe size so there was plenty of room. The food was great. The air hostesses walked around with all kinds of snacks in between the meals. They offered every kind of snack you could imagine from hot foods to chocolate bars. I felt very pampered on that flight.

I've used both the TG flight and the SQ nonstop from Newark via Singapore quite a few times, each time in business class.

The business class seats in the A340 that are used by both carriers are similar and they are both awful, a joke even among airline staff. They are approximately flat, that much is true, but they are not horizonal by a long shot. When most people in the cabin recline their seats for sleeping, you'd better be real fond of confined spaces or you'll soon be screaming. It's rather like spending 17 hours in an MRI machine, one that you keep sliding out of because of the angle at which you are lying.

As for the service levels, Thai is -- as always -- second rate and slightly amateurish. SQ is the better airline without a doubt, vastly better food and a far more professional cabin staff (probably more competent pilots, too), but to get all that you've got to make the connection over Singapore. It's a great airport, but that adds at least four hours to your total journey time.

The best thing I can say about the TG flight is that its timing are great. It's the first flight into the international terminal at JFK in the morning and then departs at noon when there are virtually no flights either. In both cases you will have the pleasure of a nearly empty terminal, no lines at either immigration or security.

Edited by JacksonGlurk

When I fly roundtrip to the US I go BKK-LHR-MIA and MIA-LHR-BKK. The advantage is that three of the four legs are at night so I can sleep a lot. Going through LAX would entail an additional leg and more daylight.

I took the JFK-BKK Thai Airways flight when they were still running 5 days a week before they cut back the departures due to lack of demand. It worked out great as coach seating had only 54 people in it. Nearly everyone got an entire row of seats to themselves, and ate as many of the miniscule meals as they wanted.

I recommended it to friend, but he took the flight many months after I did. The coach section was completely full, and he said it was one of the worst flights he'd taken.

To say it is a long flight, is putting it very mildly. I can’t remember where I read it, but I think it is the longest in air duration for a non-stop flight available in the World.

You're far better off breaking it up with several legs if you can get good connection times. I've used China or Eva for several trips back and forth to the US. I'd rate either carriers’ service far above that of Thai. Plus as cheap as you can fly from JFK to LAX or SFO on the budget carriers, you’re out next to nothing on domestic fares in the US.

Edited by tod-daniels

To say it is a long flight, is putting it very mildly. I can’t remember where I read it, but I think it is the longest in air duration for a non-stop flight available in the World.

Actually the Singapore Airlines non-stop service from Singapore to Newark is the longest scheduled flight in the world. The routing goes over Bangkok and I think it is one or one and a half hour longer. Thai Airways advertises its service as the fastest connection between South East Asia and America because the route is a bit shorter than Singapore Airlines'.