KBank Secured Credit Card? What are they called here?

Looking for some Thai credit card advise for retirees please? Note I already have a KBank Visa Debit card and KPlus phone banking.

I need a Credit Card, not for getting credit or going in debt, shopping etc but for ease of use at hotel check in counters etc with limits up to 30,000THB instead of carrying cash.  One that is secured by a fixed balance in my KBank savings account perhaps? Is there such a card, What is the name of a KBank card that does this please? There seems to be at least 24 different credit card types on their web site and many need work permits - whereas I am retired?

I could of course go to my bank and ask directly but it's a day round trip there so wanted to be armed with correct info beforehand thanks.

1 hour ago, foreverlomsak said:

It's called a debit card, as far as I'm aware no credit card is available to non-Thais.

non-Thais can also get credit cards..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ctxa said:

Not so sure about Kasikorn but Bangkok Bank and Krungsri do offer secured credit cards starting from a minimum deposit of 20,000 THB (and of course the amount of the deposit equals the amount of the credit line you get).

e.g. debit card as they are limited to your account balance, as is a standard debit card, if you have it in your account you can spend it, otherwise go away.

59 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

e.g. debit card as they are limited to your account balance, as is a standard debit card, if you have it in your account you can spend it, otherwise go away.

That is only for people who don't have work permit. If you have a work permit and a minimum salary of 50,000 THB you can also get an unsecured (meaning no deposit needed) credit card.

KBank has secured credit cards but I was rejected due to age and retirement visa (no work permit.) The web page indicates those up to 80 years old are eligible but they rejected me at 70. Bangkok Bank issued me two cards with a security fixed account.

Edited by asiaexpat
correction
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ctxa said:

That is only for people who don't have work permit. If you have a work permit and a minimum salary of 50,000 THB you can also get an unsecured (meaning no deposit needed) credit card.

Have you actually got one or is that only from reading the rules

I have a secured credit card, yeah. Can't even apply for an unsecured one as I do not have a work permit. 

And you may ask, why would you want to have a deposit blocked (in this case 125,000THB) in order to get a credit card, you could just use a debit card. Well in my case it was worth it because with the credit card I get VIP Parking in CentralPlaza shopping malls. Wasting 50 minutes of my life every now and then inside their damned parking going up and down looking for a place to park is really a hassle, so it was well worth it. You can get the full deposit anytime you want, and cancel the credit card anytime you want and have the deposit refunded so long as you don't have outstanding debts. If you pay back within the month no interest. Pretty much a Debit Card with benefits and an annual cost of 4,000THB.

• Thanks 1

My Kasikorn debit cards work as same as credit card , same for the Kwebcard online as they are Visa certified , but of course not when asked  for  a physically credit card , example for renting a car or so , but hotel bookings i did already with them , when entering the numbers online they are recognized as Visa 

Why are you so defiantly arguing a topic you obviously don’t know anything about?   

Search on TFV and there are multiple dozens of threads about obtaining credit cards from Thai banks and within each thread multiple people that have claimed to have one.   

I’ve never had a work permit living in Thailand but I have many friends that do and I know for a fact that they have credit cards issued by a Thai bank.  

You not knowing something exists and it not existing are not the same thing.  

• Like 1

To my knowledge, Credit cards available by

Fixed deposit security

Or

Require a work permit.

Or

As a second name on Thai wifes account.

As with many things Thai, varies from Bank to Bank and even branch to branch..

On 1/30/2021 at 7:11 PM, david555 said:

My Kasikorn debit cards work as same as credit card ,

My KBank doesn't. When I gave the KBank credit Visa card to the hotel that required a guarantee deposit (not for the room rate that was already paid but for extras or any damages), they rejected my debit card and asked for a credit card.

Hence reason I asked #1.

Edited by Hamus Yaigh
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Is that KBank? I was looking for something a lot cheaper, no frills, free if possible, secured by the bank balance.

No, I got the The1 Central Credit Card, issued by Central Shopping Malls group together with Krungsri Bank (Bank of Ayudhaya). But since it includes VIP Parking at all Central Shopping Malls 4,000 THB really is not expensive. 

Both KBank and Krungsri (I have account in Bankgkok Bank, Kasikorn and Krungsri, and I honestly prefer Krungsri by far, had to say this). Both of them offer credit cards which have no cost, other than "locking" that deposit. Normally the minimum deposit is 20,000 THB.  

Edited by ctxa
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ctxa said:

Both KBank and Krungsri (I have account in Bankgkok Bank, Kasikorn and Krungsri, and I honestly prefer Krungsri by far, had to say this). Both of them offer credit cards which have no cost, other than "locking" that deposit. Normally the minimum deposit is 20,000 THB. 

Thanks. 20,000THB locked deposit for a credit card sounds OK for me. I'll go and ask at KBank which of the 24 types of credit card they advertise on their site I should get as a retired expat. Haven't got time to read all 24 cards info and digest myself. Life's too short.

If anyone here actually can recommend one that would be great!

Just remember that the answer and response you get may vary from person to person in the bank and even more so from branch to branch.

The point being, just because one says no, dont let that deter you from trying another.(branch or bank)

I have had a Kbank Wisdom credit card for nearly 10 years. I think all you need is to maintain a minimum balance of 8 or 10 million THB at the bank (cash or investments or debt). I didn't even apply for it, I was asked if I wanted it then they gave it to me. It's got points you can redeem, but also comes with a free multi-year PriorityPass membership which (pre-COVID) was very nice to have.

Edited by clokwise
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

My KBank doesn't. When I gave the KBank credit Visa card to the hotel that required a guarantee deposit (not for the room rate that was already paid but for extras or any damages), they rejected my debit card and asked for a credit card.

Hence reason I asked #1.

I only used it online to pay for hotel/studio type ...and that was paid upfront ...hence probably it was accepted as no debit possible on their paywall ,....that is why i refered to " online use " as when filling in theo8 firtst digits already " visa " naming appears .But yes it is not a full credit card ....even the Thai one is not same as they freeze the sum of his credit ...so far the bad naming " credit card " ....more a sugar coated named debit card ...????

But as i am not an American it does not stop my hart beating not having a real ccard    ( just joking ..???? )

On 1/30/2021 at 8:55 PM, CharlieH said:

To my knowledge, Credit cards available by

Fixed deposit security

Or

Require a work permit.

Or

As a second name on Thai wifes account.

This is the correct answer.

Another route may be having millions of baht in the bank and being one of their "wealth banking" customers, but I wouldn't know about that.