Tourist Visa Contradictory Information

Extract from this printed form: (...)"The fee for each entry is £25. It is no longer safe to assume you can obtain an "extension of stay", such extensions are granted solely at the discretion of Thai Immigration and are given only in special circumstances."(...)

That's interesting. What's the situation on the ground? Has anyone actually applied for an extension lately? Any problems?

Cyberviking, if you go back to the top of this thread and read on, you will find some answers amongst posters...

Cheers

If you continue to come back on tourist visas, don't be surprised when you run into trouble.

A "proper' visa is not hard to get, if you want to stay and have honest motives.

This does sound so simple to get "proper" visa therefore I hope you can reply to this. I am reading too many different ways to live in Thailand and really maybe due to being in early sixties not taking in everything. What is the possibility in my renting a place in Thailand with a view to staying long-term (have looked at the buying prospect and cannot afford with spiralling prices and no real chance to own and therefore pass on to family). Could you tell me what sort of visa to apply for to incorporate a long stay, my intentions being that having visited a few weeks at a time in the last three years I would like to take advantage of the sunshine, cheaper way of life and the (mostly) happy atmosphere.

There are ways to sort it out but NOT here in Thailland and it has to be done in your home country..

1. make sure you have official documents to prove your financial situation/income.

2. Visit Thai embassy and explain that you want to spend your time staying in Thailand and show the documents. Reason it has to be home country is that there its easiest to check if your documents are fake or not.

3. DONOT try fakes, it will not work and only cause problems....

4. Embassy will give address of certified translator where your documents have to be translated to Thai and stamped as real valid traanslation.

5. If you are lucky you may get a year visum but I suspect as I havent done this myself that the renewal has to be done in your homecountry.

Whatever, visiting a friendly embassy and asking what can be done but essentially options do exist if you show you have a regular income, capital or whatever. Adding a fixed deposit in Thailand sure doesnt do any damage either. In many odd circumstances it functions as a proof you can afford to stay here...

Another option could be to support financially some Thai kid in his schooling. Costs money but if it can generate a year visum it may be worth it.

I ran a few days ago into an Autralian and he is going to get hit by the 30 days stamps. Has enough money, doesnt work even if he still has a bar here (he had several and got rid of those) but likes living here. next 30 days stamp likely will get him 7 days but he needs 8 for airticket...

5. If you are lucky you may get a year visum but I suspect as I havent done this myself that the renewal has to be done in your homecountry.

Whatever, visiting a friendly embassy and asking what can be done but essentially options do exist if you show you have a regular income, capital or whatever. Adding a fixed deposit in Thailand sure doesnt do any damage either. In many odd circumstances it functions as a proof you can afford to stay here...

Tracer, thanks for your post. It sounds interesting... Could you please be a bit more specific:

Single entry or multi entry?

Which type of visa?

Thanks Margineline.

Always good to remember that many of us share the same kind of "unclassifiable" status, not being misfits for that reason.

MahouAngrit brought good news when he said that Thai Consulates in the U.K. were still delivering triple entries Tourist Visas.

It would be interesting to have feedback from others nationalities within the E.U.

How does it work in Italy, Spain, Germany, Nederlands, Belgium, etc?

In Germany (Thai-Konsulat Hamburg) you still can get a Tourist Visa with 3 entries!

I got my Tourist Visa with 2 entries (bcs. i dont need more) on 29.03.07

I come already more than 4 years here and my passport is full with Tourist Visas and border stamps and two passports already full. I had never problems in Germany or here in Thailand in order to get my visa or sometimes my border stamp and I am not 40 years old yet.

Everything will be fine! Thailand is a great Country.