How a flaw in the system lands Thailand’s elderly in trouble

webfact

How a flaw in the system lands Thailand’s elderly in trouble

tpbs.jpg

An elderly woman sits along an alley in a low-income neighborhood in Bangkok on May 4, 2020. (Photo by Romeo GACAD / AFP)

A 99-year-old grandmother says she will go to prison if the government sues for repayment of Bt100,000 in subsidies whose overlapping claim rules were too complicated for her to understand.

“How could I know that I am not eligible for these subsidies for the elderly?” asked Saeng Sudkhum. “Besides, I have no means to return the money.” Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has no plans to send her to prison, though.

On Tuesday, the prime minister assured thousands of seniors that they don’t have to worry about lawsuits because there would be a happy ending for all involved. “I understand the plight of all the affected grandparents. You’ve done nothing wrong and neither have officials,” Prayut said. “I will sort out the problems without you being taken to court or forced to return the money.”

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/how-a-flaw-in-the-system-lands-thailands-elderly-in-trouble/

Logo-top-.png

5 hours ago, webfact said:

You’ve done nothing wrong and neither have officials,” Prayut said. “I will sort out the problems without you being taken to court or forced to return the money.”

Looks like I have to get out the pop corn. Nobody has doing anything wrong, and nobody will go to court or have to pay back, yet Uncle Too gonna sort it out.

Guess it's gonna be a similar fix as the lottery, and about everything else he has been involved with.