Nationwide building society pass code

Hi I need a pass code sent to my UK mobile to enable me to log into my nationwide account, as I'm living in Thailand and don't have a UK mobile, i was wondering if it could be sent to my sisters mobile in the uk, 

Has anyone done this is that possible. 

Thanks for any help

39 minutes ago, phka said:

Hi I need a pass code sent to my UK mobile to enable me to log into my nationwide account, as I'm living in Thailand and don't have a UK mobile, i was wondering if it could be sent to my sisters mobile in the uk, 

Thanks for any help

Do you not also have the option of using a card reader, (card readers of other banks should also work) along with a nationwide debit card?

I know that this bank does not allow non UK numbers for sending pass codes, unlike most other UK bank, which is a pain in these circumstances. As for using your sisters number, up to you, but just be aware of the security issues.

2 hours ago, phka said:

Hi I need a pass code sent to my UK mobile to enable me to log into my nationwide account, as I'm living in Thailand and don't have a UK mobile

I have a Nationwide account and usually use the card reader to access the account. I do have the option of using an sms as I have a UK SIM GiffGaff which works fine from Thailand. With GiffGaff prepaid I just need to remember to send an SMS once every six months to keep it alive. Get your sister to send you a SIM, you can activate online.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, phka said:

Thanks for any help

I get mine sent to my Thai phone or do it on line.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, phka said:

Thanks for any help

Word of warning - I am having the same issue - though i can sort it as I am stuck in the UK now.

My bank will only accept a new number on my account by me going into the bank and giving them the number with my id for them to update my account with the new number before I ask for passcode to the new phone number be texted. You may get stuck adding the sistyers number without going to a bank.

Previously I had had the code sent to me in thailand with no problems but the wife (and my mobile is in Thailand with the wife) seems to be having problems receiving the texted codes.

I'm stuck now asking a guy at the bed and breakfast i'm stuck in to lend me his phone number go to the bank to add his number to text him to give me the password to enter on my pc.

I went to the bank and said is there not just someone I can talk to in the bank to let me into my online account - he said no ! Total nonsense - he can see its me, but cannot help me !

42 minutes ago, Nout said:

I get mine sent to my Thai phone or do it on line.

Are you able to get Nationwide UK to send an SMS to a Thai mobile number?

I have tried to do this over the years but they insist that only a UK mobile number will work. I do have a UK mobile number so not a big issue, but, as it is a company registered mobile I may be losing it soon.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

My bank will only accept a new number on my account by me going into the bank and giving them the number with my id for them to update my account with the new number before I ask for passcode to the new phone number be texted. You may get stuck adding the sistyers number without going to a bank.

Nationwide I was able to change the telephone number online confirming the change with the card reader security device

3 hours ago, phka said:

Thanks for any help

I recently enquired with NBS about this matter. It's been general knowledge for sometime that they cannot send SMS messages to overseas numbers ( @Nout please note) This is part of the reply I received from them on the 24th Dec 2020.

''Thank you for your message.

'I've looked into this for you and we're still not able to send the onetime pass codes to non-UK numbers I'm afraid.

However, we have brought in the ability to authenticate the payments etc via the banking app which I can see that you're registered for. So when the need arises, you should be able to select to authenticate yourself through the banking app''.

I haven't tried this myself as I use the mobile app all the time now. It's much more convenient. As others have said you do not need a pass code to log on to their web site providing you have a card reader and debit card, so a UK SIM shouldn't be necessary. 

Get and use the mobile app is the answer.

Edited by Moonlover

49 minutes ago, phka said:

Does the pass code number that's sent to your phone change every time you want to log on to Internet banking with nationwide 

Yes, they're the same as the OTPs that Thai banks use.

I have a number of accounts in the US that require SMS for 2FA, payment confirmation, and other actions. I purchased a Skype local US phone number at a cost of $5 per month. I then turned on Caller ID on that phone number. Now the SMS messages appear in my Skype window. It is super convenient. Not sure if Skype provides local phone numbers for UK, but this might be a nice solution. An extra bonus is that I pay for an "unlimited US minutes" plan at a cost of $6 per month. So my friends and family in the US can call that number and we can talk for free.

1 hour ago, phka said:

Does the pass code number that's sent to your phone change every time you want to log on to Internet banking with nationwide 

Yes and it's valid for about 5 minutes from the time sent.

2 hours ago, dabhand said:

Based on some of the responses in this topic I have just gone online to my Nationwide account. I then went to the 'My Personal details' option and made an attempt to change the telephone contact numbers.

Well, I was actually successful at changing all 3no options to my Thai mobile number. Used the card reader and debit card and the details now show my contact number as being that of Thailand.

Next time I need to do a transfer I will see if this actually works out. Fingers crossed!!

That will interesting. Please do publish the results. My next pension transfer is due on the 15th. I'm going to try and use the verification via the mobile app method and see if that works.

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

That will interesting. Please do publish the results. My next pension transfer is due on the 15th. I'm going to try and use the verification via the mobile app method and see if that works.

No joy for the Nationwide online verification by SMS. That option insists upon a UK mobile.

Oh well, the app option works ok for payments and online is still OK via card reader and debit card. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, dabhand said:

No joy for the Nationwide online verification by SMS. That option insists upon a UK mobile.

Oh well, the app option works ok for payments and online is still OK via card reader and debit card. 

I thought that would be the case. I've been using the mobile app for well over a year now and find it very practical, reliable and easy to use. I hardly ever go on-line on my computer nowadays.

On 2/5/2021 at 3:10 PM, phka said:

No. That would be an OTP. What we are discussing is more like a pin number.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I thought that would be the case. I've been using the mobile app for well over a year now and find it very practical, reliable and easy to use. I hardly ever go on-line on my computer nowadays.

You need to use your computer to set up DDs and SOs I think

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Nout said:

No. That would be an OTP. What we are discussing is more like a pin number.

It certainly does change.

If you use your phone to login to Nationwide internet bank rather than the card reader it sends a OTP to your mobile valid for 5 minutes, it's not a PIN number.

24 minutes ago, Nout said:
3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

24 minutes ago, Nout said:

You need to use your computer to set up DDs and SOs I think

Standing orders are a cinch to set up on the mobile app. Direct Debits, with the exception of an NBS credit card, cannot be set up either on-line or on the app because they can only be initiated, on your instructions,  by the beneficiary.

On 2/5/2021 at 10:48 AM, phka said:

Thanks for any help

don't know about the UK system but I'm constantly being flagged to enter a code to perform banking transactions in Canada (with or without a vpn). The code is set up for a family member (in Canada) phone to receive it and then it is emailed/skyped to me (a little timing coordination is required) shortly after - been doing this for years. My bank is fully aware (they've been sending my new debit/credit cards to my Thai address for quite a while now) of whom the code is being sent to so it's all above board. It's a slight inconvenience but I appreciate the security knowing my account is protected somewhat.