What Are The Vegetarian Dates?

cali

I hear there is a time many Thai's go vegetarian for a days during October and yellow flags fly in Bangkok at participating restaurants. Does anyone have specific dates? Would love to know dates and places of interest for Bangkok and also any info on other places is welcome. However the Phuket thing where they stick skewers through their body doesn't appeal. Finally any background on the normal event (not the Phuket thing) would be great.

I hear there is a time many Thai's go vegetarian for a days during October and yellow flags fly in Bangkok at participating restaurants. Does anyone have specific dates? Would love to know dates and places of interest for Bangkok and also any info on other places is welcome. However the Phuket thing where they stick skewers through their body doesn't appeal. Finally any background on the normal event (not the Phuket thing) would be great.

The Vegetarian Festival has nothing to do with Buddhism. It was originated in Thailand by Chinese immigrants and is basically a Taoist/Confucianist practice. I'll move this From Buddhism to the Bangkok subforum where you might get more response.

The Vegetarian Festival has nothing to do with Buddhism. It was originated in Thailand by Chinese immigrants and is basically a Taoist/Confucianist practice. I'll move this From Buddhism to the Bangkok subforum where you might get more response.

Yes, this is correct however; Taoism, Confucianism and Buddhism (better known as Ch'an Buddhism) are vegetarian 100% of the time not just on a holiday.

Given the info thus far, I am surprised because many who go vegetarian at this time are Buddhist and not of particular Chinese descent. Even Isaan people are known to 'gin jay' at some interval during this time for instance. Despite the origins, for many Thai's of all walks of life it is seen as adding something positive to their Buddhist faith. But I know very little about it and would like to learn more.