USA Bank verification procedures

A new twist at least for me anyway ,when signing in to my B of A account on my laptop

1. User name

2.password

3.enter the text in the picture

4. security code sent through email and or text message 

5. New! They want my Pin number to my debit card!

• Haha 1

I think may be you have confused some other "pin" access (safepass ?) that may be required as they clearly state they will never ask for a card pin. (IMHO.)

"Bank of America will never ask you to provide your Social Security number, ATM or debit card PIN or any other sensitive information."

If you are concerned contact the bank directly and do not divulge anything until you have done so, is my opinion, and recommendation.

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I think may be you have confused some other "pin" access (safepass ?) that may be required as they clearly state they will never ask for a card pin. (IMHO.)

"Bank of America will never ask you to provide your Social Security number, ATM or debit card PIN or any other sensitive information."

If you are concerned contact the bank directly and do not divulge anything until you have done so, is my opinion, and recommendation.

Already performed the  5 tasks while making sure the lock in the  web address was there and it was a login from their website not from a email address!

5 minutes ago, riclag said:

Already performed the  5 tasks while making sure the lock in the  web address was there and it was a login from their website not from a email address!

It was defiantly a debit pin they asked  for on the 5th  requirement  not a safepass (I also have one of those too).

I just logged in again . This time only 3 steps as I mentioned in my OP!

I went on to ,two other banks and apparently they don't recognize my computer again!

This happens on occasion when using the laptop!

Edited by riclag
25 minutes ago, riclag said:

It was defiantly a debit pin they asked  for on the 5th  requirement  not a safepass (I also have one of those too).

I went on to ,two other banks and apparently they don't recognize my computer again!

They don't ask for pins or ssn in a email message  ! It says that specifically ! There is no mention of the pin being asked while your signing on following the prompts,like I did ! 

Edited by riclag
45 minutes ago, riclag said:

You should contact your bank immediately. There is no reason to need your debit pin number to log in to any bank. Having a lock show on the screen is no protection that it's a secure site, that can be spoofed also

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Dan O said:

You should contact your bank immediately. There is no reason to need your debit pin number to log in to any bank. Having a lock show on the screen is no protection that it's a secure site, that can be spoofed also

I changed my password to be safe! I thought the sign on was rather  unusual  too  ! They do get out of hand with the sign on verifications when they don't recognize the device that one uses!  I also checked the sign on history on B of A site ,it matches the same time that I was signing in!

Edited by riclag
6 hours ago, riclag said:

I changed my password to be safe! I thought the sign on was rather  unusual  too  ! They do get out of hand with the sign on verifications when they don't recognize the device that one uses!  I also checked the sign on history on B of A site ,it matches the same time that I was signing in!

I would still contact the bank as that is highly unusual to ask for a debit card pin which has nothing to do with you account info for access. I would change my pin number too just to be safe

• Like 1

I just don't understand it all. I applied and got an online A/C, all I have to do is enter my A/C name and a Password. However, if I use a different PC, Laptop, or I-Pad, or if using the VPN, I am usually told a PIN is sent by SMS to my mobile, which I have to enter before opening my A/C. 

The one thing you should never, never do is enter your PIN. Check with your bank!

Logging into my B of A account only requires my user name, password and filling in the security field. If additional info is needed, they will email me a 6-digit access code I have to enter to validate my identity. This usually happens when they notice a log-in attempt from a new ISP location.  

44 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

Logging into my B of A account only requires my user name, password and filling in the security field. If additional info is needed, they will email me a 6-digit access code I have to enter to validate my identity. This usually happens when they notice a log-in attempt from a new ISP location.  

Same for me. Never been asked for debit card PIN. Either call the bank or contact them via secure message on twitter.

On 2/7/2021 at 9:07 AM, riclag said:

Are you blocking cookies on your computer?  Or using some program that deletes/cleans them out?

You might also consider changing your PIN for the card too.  I would at least email them and ask why it asked for your PIN.

Edited by rwill

I logged on to my  Bank Of America account all  by prompts

using my user name ,password, identifying  text character in the picture ,email verification code and then after all of that, BofA prompted me to enter the pin # associated with  my debit card ending in (it gave the last four digits on the  card).

This wasn't asked through a email or live person this was all through BofA website prompts. 

There was a lock padlock on the top in the address and after further inspection of the log on history  the next day on my account activity history, it showed the same time that I logged in!

Now I do clear my browsing history and cache on my laptop on occasion(ram memory issues) ! I also use on occasion a VPN on my Iphone(wifi) !

I think these two above , has something to do with it  imop!

In any event I changed my password to be safe and put alerts on every kind of transaction ! Its been 5 days and so far so good!

I avoid calling B of A  as much as possible!

Edited by riclag
On 2/7/2021 at 11:25 PM, riclag said:

5. New! They want my Pin number to my debit card!

Are you trying to recover a username or password ?
Then you will be asked for the "pin". 
The pin is the only acceptable proof of identity without calling bank. 

Edited by The Theory
17 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Are you trying to recover a username or password ?
Then you will be asked for the "pin". 
The pin is the only acceptable proof without calling bank. 

No! I had been logging in as usual( Laptop, Username,password and type the characters from in the picture) routine .

I profess I'm not a expert on why the sudden and on  occasion   enhanced requirement's to log in such as the txt or email code verification ,but now this  5th step ( prompts to give my debit card pin  to the debit card while B of A shows the last four# of the card during the prompt!

Might be cause I'm in a foreign country or because I cleared my cache and history(free up memory).

Mind you the next time I logged in it went back to the same routine U,P and character in the picture!

The point I'm trying to make is enough is enough !

It T's me off !

Edited by riclag
3 minutes ago, riclag said:

No! I had been logging in as usual( Laptop, Username,password and type the characters from in the picture) routine .

I profess I'm not a expert on why the sudden and on  occasion   enhanced requirement's to log in such as the txt or email code verification ,but now this  5th step ( prompts to give my debit card pin  to the debit card while B of A shows the last four# of the card during the prompt!

Might be cause I cleared my cache and history(free up memory).

Mind you the next time I logged in it went back to the same routine U,P and character in the picture!

It T's me off !

Sometimes it happens when they see that you are trying to get connected from overseas and there is no sign that it is really you (their system does not recognize your device). 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, riclag said:

Might be cause I'm in a foreign country or because I cleared my cache and history(free up memory).

It T's me off !

But keep in mind 

In case, The pin must be asked (on the bank website) to be entered by special secured

touch-screen keyboard (special key board will be open on screen for this purpose) , not to be entered by your own device keyboard. 

Edited by The Theory
7 minutes ago, The Theory said:

But keep in mind 

The pin must be asked (on the bank website) to be entered by special secured

touch-screen keyboard (special key board will be open on screen for this purpose) , not to be entered by your own device keyboard. 

It was  entered  on the website after the website prompted me for the debit card pin  while showing  me the last 4 of the debit /atm card. Bottom line , I  wouldn't give a debit card  pin if asked by a live person or through a  email  request!

Thats a new one on me touch screen special keyboard lol!

Its getting more crazy knowing that !

Edited by riclag

Saw this topic.  Went to the BoA website.  Entered my Online ID and passcode.  Got the usual extra 6 digit (letters) security code step.  Nothing else.  Same as it has been for the last couple years since they added that additional security code.  No emails, no sms, no pin required.

Might as well call them and ask.

22 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Saw this topic.  Went to the BoA website.  Entered my Online ID and passcode.  Got the usual extra 6 digit (letters) security code step.  Nothing else.  Same as it has been for the last couple years since they added that additional security code.  No emails, no sms, no pin required.

Might as well call them and ask.

Nah!  Have you ever  been asked to identify yourself when speaking to a suspecting employee(especially since the inquiry is from a foreign country and the nature of the inquiry is suspect).  If the CR has  doubts of who you are even though you gave them  all the info they requested  to identify yourself on the phone and then hands you off to the fraud department, ouch  ! 

This has happen to me with Chase bank several times ! They start by asking you questions from 20 years ago ,that they take from  a credit report !

No thanks! 

Edited by riclag
1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just to be clear.... do you mean the 4 digit PIN, the same you'd use at an ATM machine,

OR

perhaps the 3 digit CVV security code printed on the back side of the card???

Read the thread

I'm good to go ,as I mentioned, I looked  at the activity log  history on the B of A website the next day after changing my Password ! The time coincided with the time I was answering the prompts!

So for me it was a 5 step process ,first time ever, and hopefully the last!

22 minutes ago, riclag said:

Nah!  Have you ever  been asked to identify yourself when speaking to a suspecting employee(especially since the inquiry is from a foreign country and the nature of the inquiry is suspect).  If the CR has  doubts of who you are even though you gave them  all the info they requested  to identify yourself on the phone and then hands you off to the fraud department, ouch  ! 

This has happen to me with Chase bank several times ! They start by asking you questions from 20 years ago ,that they take from  a credit report !

No thanks! 

Nope...never have any problems when I call them.  Don’t even have to wait in a queue.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just to be clear.... do you mean the 4 digit PIN, the same you'd use at an ATM machine,

This one, if I'm understanding the first/OP.

FWIW, with a new BofA ATM/debit card (Visa; embossed and chipped) recently, my PIN was changed from four digits to six-digits. I must have done this during my last trip back in Dec. 2019? I think I 'activated' this new card by using it at an Bof A ATM.

I log on to BofA often, and I use the mobile app frequently. I have 2FA turned on (Web) and receive the SMS via Google Voice (you can have at least three SMS contact points). Never, ever been asked for my PIN. Changing a PIN is challenging, can be done at an ATM (probably only a BofA ATM?) or in person.