Bank manager in Pattaya cheating customers by hiding new passbook ??

I was reading an article about a bank manager who was cheating his customers for years

by updating their old passboks, while hiding from them the real balances - and his withdrawls - by hiding from them

the new passbooks.

my question is - how it is possible? didnt they check their balance online? is there

a difference between the balance online and the balance in old / new passbook?

is it possible that while i am verifying my account balance for years, one day i will come

to the bank and they will tell me  - NO IT IS WRONG ???

Edited by blackcab
Link removed
  • Like 1

A link to the Bangkok Post has been removed.

The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

25 minutes ago, fdsa said:

Not all account types have internet or "app" access, I had a corporate account with Krungsri which had a passbook only.

I doubt that the gold diggers that expected 3.5% per month(!) did have internet access for their magic accounts.

• Haha 2

If you've had any transaction of any kind on your account, just put your book into one of the Passbook Update Machines available at every branch and it will add entries to reflect exactly what is in the bank's computer records. I also don't understand how the guy in the Pattaya scam was able to print out realistic looking bankbooks with fake information, but I feel quite confident that no such person would be able to make the bank's automated systems print false numbers into certain books. It appears that his victims only updated their books with him, and never at a counter or in a machine.

On 2/8/2021 at 12:01 AM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

my question is - how it is possible?

It's becomes possible when it is convenient to leave the bank book update to branch employee, If you do the update by machines outside the branch there will be no cheating, unless your original account was opened in different province, then you need to update the book in a branch at no charge. And always at the same branch. 

Edited by The Theory

On 2/8/2021 at 12:07 AM, ukrules said:

I use both the online banking app and sms alerts, if one baht moves in or out of my account I get a text message telling me how much was credited or debited and the balance.

I wonder if it was more related to non standard investment type accounts.

same here

On 2/7/2021 at 7:01 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

I was reading an article about a bank manager who was cheating his customers for years

by updating their old passboks, while hiding from them the real balances - and his withdrawls - by hiding from them

the new passbooks.

my question is - how it is possible? didnt they check their balance online? is there

is it possible that while i am verifying my account balance for years, one day i will come

to the bank and they will tell me  - NO IT IS WRONG ???

Probably did it to older cyberphobic customers, who did not use online apps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, khunjeff said:

If you've had any transaction of any kind on your account, just put your book into one of the Passbook Update Machines available at every branch and it will add entries to reflect exactly what is in the bank's computer records. I also don't understand how the guy in the Pattaya scam was able to print out realistic looking bankbooks with fake information, but I feel quite confident that no such person would be able to make the bank's automated systems print false numbers into certain books. It appears that his victims only updated their books with him, and never at a counter or in a machine.

"It appears that his victims only updated their books with him, and never at a counter or in a machine."

From my buddy; for several years he mostly paid his Thai bank credit card at the same branch in Bkk, if he went in during the lunch period he was told, cannot take your money only one person at this branch authorised to do anything related to credit cards, please come back later today which he did.

Then suddenly it all changed, man who had usually accepted his cc payments not there and all other tellers accepted cc payments, also at same time manager changed. 

He got a letter from the bank asking him to call the HO, he did and was asked if the previous payment amounts on his cc had even been discounted by perhaps 10%?  His response was 'yes I was told there is a fee to make cc payments'.

HO person apologised and said 'that's not true'.  

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

On 2/8/2021 at 6:51 PM, fdsa said:

Not all account types have internet or "app" access, I had a corporate account with Krungsri which had a passbook only.

So regularly go into a branch and ask for the passbook to be updated. If they refuse call their HO call centre and complain. Most HO call centres listen well and they will quickly take action if they suspect something not appropriate is taking place.

One of my MBA students (qualified lawyer and qualified accountant, speaks excellent English, has successfully operated her own Law/Tax/Accounting/Business Services company for several years) offers to guide farang newly arrived through starting bank accounts and more (doesn't do visas). 

She told the class many stories about refusal to start accounts, refusal to update records, refusal to hand over the duplicate copy for 'over the counter' cash deposits, basic rudeness and more. One e.g. she took a new (farang) customer (starting anew company, already had 20 Thai employees and expected to eventually have 100 employees) to a big branch of one of the biggest Thai banks to open several accounts. They waited for service officer to be free then sat down at service desk, service officer not listening just chatting to her fellow colleagues then says in Thai to my old student 'It's illegal for foreigners to hold Thai bank accounts'. Then made it clear the conversation had finished and she pressed her button for the next customer. My student then sat on the customer waiting seats and called the HO, who confirmed 'Not true' and said 'Please tell the CSO (customer service officer) that 'farang can open accounts, if she doesn't cooperate call me back' and she gave her name. My student took another queue number and was lucky enough to get back to the same customer service officer who again refused to open an account. She called HO again and HO lady spoke at length to the CSO, who then changed the story saying 'we don't have any forms in English'. HO lady responded 'look at the form to open new accounts it's in Thai and English'. HO lady then said 'bring the branch manager to the phone', response 'he's busy'. HO lady spoke again to my student and apologized and realized this whole scenario is very poor PR for the bank, and asked her to go to another nearby branch (which she named and gave the address) which she did with the farang and several new accounts opened with a few minutes. Maybe an hour later HO called back to check new accounts all done, and again sincere apologies.

A few days later my student went to the initial branch where she kept all of her own accounts, was quietly informed manager and CSO had been reported previously for poor service, now both dismissed.  

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 12:01 AM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

Did you see the picture of the people who got scammed? I doubt even half of them have ever used a smartphone.

The balance shown in your online banking comes from a central bank server, some branch manager can't manipulate it.

To avoid bank book manipulation is also quite easy, just update it yourself at the ATM outside of the bank.