Cookies: GDPR every visit, every page

bluesofa

AFIA this is just an EU thing - General Data Protection Regulation.

When I visit UK news websites the GDPR notice  appears every single visit, and every news article I click on.
I searched, and from what I can see it should only appear once, I make my choice, and that’s it.
Is it because I opted out of allowing them to collect my data for advertising purposes, etc, that it appears every time?
I wonder if I’d allowed them to use my data, would it not keep appearing?

Any ideas why it happens, or how to avoid it? I use Firefox on Linux.

As an aside, I see Chrome has an addon called ‘S-h-y-t-e Away’ that stops the GDPR, but I don’t if it does it by allowing all cookies to be used?

2 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

With cookies enabled and accepted the first time you visit, it will remember your choice. It may be that everytime you reach a page on the site, it beleives it's your first visit so serves the GDPR notice each time.

I follow your thinking, but the GDPR does seem have a section you can't opt out of, something like 'necessary to access the website', so I'd hope that writes a cookie to say you've opted out, but I don't know - perhaps I'm being too logical?

40 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I follow your thinking, but the GDPR does seem have a section you can't opt out of, something like 'necessary to access the website', so I'd hope that writes a cookie to say you've opted out, but I don't know - perhaps I'm being too logical?

Have you tried to use the "incognito" or "private window" browser option that only uses cookies for that session and cannot access any other cookie data on your computer? When "incognito" or "private window" is closed all data, cookies and browsing history is deleted and nothing stored - that way you cannot be tracked by other sites. Also, not all (very few actually) cookies are used for nefarious purposes. We use them on our site only to assist the user in a seemless booking process and in case they need to return to make a modification to a booking. If you are having to "log in" to any site then they will have far more data than anything a cookie will have.

I personally, don't worry about accepting GDPR (which is there to protect the user anyway) and especially if not logged in with an email, user name or password or other credentials that could identify you personally - if you don't want them to know who you are.

38 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Have you tried to use the "incognito" or "private window" browser option that only uses cookies for that session and cannot access any other cookie data on your computer? When "incognito" or "private window" is closed all data, cookies and browsing history is deleted and nothing stored - that way you cannot be tracked by other sites. Also, not all (very few actually) cookies are used for nefarious purposes. We use them on our site only to assist the user in a seemless booking process and in case they need to return to make a modification to a booking. If you are having to "log in" to any site then they will have far more data than anything a cookie will have.

I personally, don't worry about accepting GDPR (which is there to protect the user anyway) and especially if not logged in with an email, user name or password or other credentials that could identify you personally - if you don't want them to know who you are.

That's a point about incognito.

I was more irritated it continually pops up, even though it claims once you've made your choice, it won't.

Not the end of the world I know, just annoying.