Stickman

SiamSquare123

If they were simply presented with his exploits... and left it at that to determine his fate, I'd be willing to take part in your wager.

I remember when one of Chiang Mai's most renown English teachers used to bring different - and obvious - 15 year old Burmese hookers to all the AUA functions, and no one said a thing. He was almost 70 years old at the time.

He is still highly regarded and still teaching, but he is now happily married to a twenty year old that he shows off at every opportunity.

Unless "advised" by sinister forces, Thais are not nearly as judgemental as Farangs.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they were simply presented with his exploits... and left it at that to determine his fate, I'd be willing to take part in your wager.

I remember when one of Chiang Mai's most renown English teachers used to bring different - and obvious - 15 year old Burmese hookers to all the AUA functions, and no one said a thing. He was almost 70 years old at the time.

He is still highly regarded and still teaching, but he is now happily married to a twenty year old that he shows off at every opportunity.

Unless "advised" by sinister forces, Thais are not nearly as judgemental as Farangs.

15 year old underage girls?

When does it become sinister then?

12? 13?

12? 13?

How did you come up with that question from UGs post?

12? 13?

How did you come up with that question from UGs post?

Easily - he argues that it is only sinister forces that would point out 15 is not deemed really acceptable.

When do these Thai's or non-sinister outside forces deem the ag of the girl to be unacceptable?

This is straying far from the subject with some saying Thai's would not care about what Stickman does unless pointed out by sinsiter farangs and others saying they would.

I really do not know what the school (if it did anything) said to Stickman (I am assuming they did only because some teacher sites said the were having a meeting to decide his future).

My total guess was that they might have been more bothered about him writing about the DoS and other staff members the way he did. I would also guess the parents did not know anything if it was not an international school with foreign parents.

Total conjecture on my part as I really do not know.

I do feel a bit sorry for Stick but as I have said before - he had a big hand allowing someone like Galt with his misplaced grudge to get at him by writing as he did - why mix the two scenes up ie teaching and the bar scene?

Edited by Prakanong

I wonder if we all who post here were fully exposed on the Internet as to who we were, where we worked... Then went on to make it their life to dog your steps, encourage others to comment to your employer about things you have written on the Internet and speculate as to the justification of your employment as related to your Internet postings....

I think if we all got the "Stickman" treatment, we all would be looking for new employment.

I would venture to suppose that if his exploits were presented point-blank to these Thai parents, they indeed would say he doesn't meet their "community standard" at all and demand his immediate dismissal.

Writing about Bangkok's night life and his experieces and feelings about Thailand on the Internet?

Unless some know-it-all, puritanical farang told them exactly what to think, I bet that they could care less! :o

speak for yourself mate.

Some good points. Without sounding like I am trying to cover my ass on this one, The place on 7/1 is not a venue in the typical term but more of a club as in it’s name. I am not sure how you would classify a massage parlor. I think service related business would be a better description than venue. But back to the club on 7/1 in question, as I have never been there I can’t say how it is run and who or how transactions are made, so I will reserve myself from any additional comment on it.

I wonder how RCA would be rated in the contract... perhaps students only teachers not allowed. RCA is not too unlike Nana from what I hear except mostly Thai. With that thought is there really that much of a concern about Stickman teaching? I am sure if he went there he could spot some of his students.

my god, do you have any idea wht you are talling about? How is RCA like Nana? name 3 points of comparison beyond the fact that both places play music and sell alcohol?

As for your description of eden, you are dancing around the subject. As others have pointed out you hadn't heard of it 3 posts ago. By your definition i suppose a brothel is a "service related business"

you are playing with labels.

I wonder if we all who post here were fully exposed on the Internet as to who we were, where we worked... Then went on to make it their life to dog your steps, encourage others to comment to your employer about things you have written on the Internet and speculate as to the justification of your employment as related to your Internet postings....

Fair point, Paul, but "Stickman" has put "himself" out there on the internet via a site through which he gains money.

Not only that, but he mixes his articles on the sex industry plus ads for dating services, bars etc. with articles on English teaching and ads for TEFL courses. What's the overall suggestion :o ?

BTW - I wonder if all the Thais in the photos gave permission for publication on the internet ?

Fair point, Paul, but "Stickman" has put "himself" out there on the internet via a site through which he gains money.

Not only that, but he mixes his articles on the sex industry plus ads for dating services, bars etc. with articles on English teaching and ads for TEFL courses. What's the overall suggestion :o ?

BTW - I wonder if all the Thais in the photos gave permission for publication on the internet ?

I think it is the mixture of material that is a major part of the problem - advertising brothels and schools in one place!

As for invasion of privacy - Does Stickman ask the subjects of his dubious investigation services if they OK with it. Of course not but people in glass houses etc.

I have often wonderd what would happen if a girl who had her sponsorship cut off was to find out it was Stickman who supplied the info - the cliche of Somchai the mocy boy might come into play!

I enjoy reading Stickman, but I agree with the view that he got what he had coming. He's making money doing dodgy things in dodgy ways, including spying on people and reporting on them, and then anyone can complain when he's outed? Anyone in that position has no right to be surprised or complain if they're outed.

Prakanong, Post #120 knowing about it and being involved are two different things. As you know about, I know about it, so do they. Because of that knowledge it makes everyone who knows about it equally innocent or guilty depending on what emphases you want to put. As for docking a girl after hours, I can’t say as that may be in a case by case basis. From what I have heard if it is arraigned then she may get docked, but if it is a chance encounter she wont. A bit difficult to prove I would imagine unless the girl makes a B line for where he is staying.

I can’t say Stickman never attended dance contests, but I doubt he has time to get to all of them. As long as he was not one of the dancers I doubt I would have much to say on it.

TS post #126. Does there need to be any more difference than playing music and selling alcohol? Remember we are talking about should stickman get sacked as a teacher because he writes about places that sell alcohol and play music. I was just trying to make a point about how puritan do we need to be to pass moral judgment. Thai students in Bangkok are not as naive and innocent as some would believe by the time they get into their teens. I can’t say about upcountry.

About Eden, yes I would agree then it is a service related business. But as I said I know little more than that about it. So again I don’t recall much about Stickman writing about it, but if you have a link to refresh my memory, that would most certainly be helpful.

As for Stickman the PI, I can’t say I know much about it. Apparently the only information that I saw was from Galt, and you can be your own judge on the spin and accuracy of the information provided by him. One thing for certain, at the moment Galt is Stickman’s best promoter. After reading Galt they go to Stickman to see what is pushing his buttons. From various posts about Galt at various sites, the general consensus is he has some mental health issues.

Stickman has never responded to Galt, I am sure if Stickman felt there was some concern he would have said something along the way. I see it as a non issue at this point.

Prakanong, Post #120 knowing about it and being involved are two different things. As you know about, I know about it, so do they. Because of that knowledge it makes everyone who knows about it equally innocent or guilty depending on what emphases you want to put. As for docking a girl after hours, I can’t say as that may be in a case by case basis. From what I have heard if it is arraigned then she may get docked, but if it is a chance encounter she wont. A bit difficult to prove I would imagine unless the girl makes a B line for where he is staying.

I can’t say Stickman never attended dance contests, but I doubt he has time to get to all of them. As long as he was not one of the dancers I doubt I would have much to say on it.

TS post #126. Does there need to be any more difference than playing music and selling alcohol? Remember we are talking about should stickman get sacked as a teacher because he writes about places that sell alcohol and play music. I was just trying to make a point about how puritan do we need to be to pass moral judgment. Thai students in Bangkok are not as naive and innocent as some would believe by the time they get into their teens. I can’t say about upcountry.

About Eden, yes I would agree then it is a service related business. But as I said I know little more than that about it. So again I don’t recall much about Stickman writing about it, but if you have a link to refresh my memory, that would most certainly be helpful.

are you being purposely obtuse, or are you overlooking the nud_e to semi-nud_e women who dance on stage at, perform sex(y) shows and will leave the bar with you for a small fee? At rca, there are nightclubs, not gogo bars. a significant difference.

i believe stick has pulled the advertising and interviews re: eden as a part of his "rebrand" perhaps i will look around later tonight.

are you being purposely obtuse, or are you overlooking the nud_e to semi-nud_e women who dance on stage at, perform sex(y) shows and will leave the bar with you for a small fee? At rca, there are nightclubs, not gogo bars. a significant difference.

i believe stick has pulled the advertising and interviews re: eden as a part of his "rebrand" perhaps i will look around later tonight.

I fully understand what you are saying but how much of this does Stickman come out and say? I think a lot more is assumed by the reader than what is actually said by Stickman. I am just trying to make a connection on how serious or not it is that he is teaching.

I have serious doubts that Stickman had said anything in class in the past, or there would have been fallout long ago by him getting sacked or no contract renewal. The same as all of us, there are things we know but are not said in the company of some people. Should we be punished for the knowledge? Should a person be punished for walking into an adult book video store? Some people think so.

On your search, supposedly Galt has archived all of stickman so if it was, it should be there if you trust Galt not to have tweaked a few things.

As for Stickman the PI, I can't say I know much about it. Apparently the only information that I saw was from Galt, and you can be your own judge on the spin and accuracy of the information provided by him. One thing for certain, at the moment Galt is Stickman's best promoter. After reading Galt they go to Stickman to see what is pushing his buttons. From various posts about Galt at various sites, the general consensus is he has some mental health issues.

Stickman has never responded to Galt, I am sure if Stickman felt there was some concern he would have said something along the way. I see it as a non issue at this point.

Galt driving people to Stick site - not much

The barney being played out in public on other boards drove far more to Galts site - people just did not know it existed till it was on other sites - its not something you surf to by accident and it would not have been far up in the search engines at that time.

As for Stick responding - maybe not blatantly on his own site but maybe on others and certainly by proxy. He also emailed the guy I beleive and may even have called him. He had other people call him too I beleive.

Not concerned - he paniced and stopped writing - for a week then for months - the Galt had him running scared rightly or wrongly.

The Stick has pulled his site before or parts of it and advised other people with the same type of site to do the same - during the start of the social order clampdown - he also asks other site owners to remove things about him being all matey saying we are all in this together mate!!!!!

Clarification - when I talk of dance competitions I am speaking of those now defunct ones stated by a board with the initials NP which got the show on the road - anything else is just a pale imitation of a dance competition

You can defend it all you like but your arguments are making to look a tad silly - Teacher of children promoting prostitution on the same sites as teaching - big no no to anyone rational.

Complaining about anonimity and personal life while spying on others for money - hypocritical

Stick was unlucky and lucky - Galt did it out in the open - he could have been a sneaky bastard and went about it in private grassing Stick up at all levels.

His own ego and attention seeking would not allow that though but again - who supplied him all the info ie Sticks real name, name of school, stories about paying off Sony for pirated copies - If I was Stick I would be looking at the guy sitting next to me pretending to be pal would you not?

Edited by Prakanong

Thai students in Bangkok are not as naive and innocent as some would believe by the time they get into their teens.

But what would that have to do with the way their teachers conduct (or are expected to conduct) themselves ?

Are the teachers supposed to take their behavioural cues from teenagers :o ?

As for Stickman the PI, I can't say I know much about it. Apparently the only information that I saw was from Galt, and you can be your own judge on the spin and accuracy of the information provided by him. One thing for certain, at the moment Galt is Stickman's best promoter. After reading Galt they go to Stickman to see what is pushing his buttons. From various posts about Galt at various sites, the general consensus is he has some mental health issues.

Galt driving people to Stick site - not much

The barney being played out in public on other boards drove far more to Galts site - people just did not know it existed till it was on other sites - its not something you surf to by accident and it would not have been far up in the search engines at that time.

As for Stick responding - maybe not blatantly on his own site but maybe on others and certainly by proxy. He also emailed the guy I beleive and may even have called him. He had other people call him too I beleive.

Not concerned - he paniced and stopped writing - for a week then for months - the Galt had him running scared rightly or wrongly.

The Stick has pulled his site before or parts of it and advised other people with the same type of site to do the same - during the start of the social order clampdown - he also asks other site owners to remove things about him being all matey saying we are all in this together mate!!!!!

Clarification - when I talk of dance competitions I am speaking of those now defunct ones stated by a board with the initials NP which got the show on the road - anything else is just a pale imitation of a dance competition

You can defend it all you like but your arguments are making to look a tad silly - Teacher of children promoting prostitution on the same sites as teaching - big no no to anyone rational.

Complaining about anonimity and personal life while spying on others for money - hypocritical

Stick was unlucky and lucky - Galt did it out in the open - he could have been a sneaky bastard and went about it in private grassing Stick up at all levels.

His own ego and attention seeking would not allow that though but again - who supplied him all the info ie Sticks real name, name of school, stories about paying off Sony for pirated copies - If I was Stick I would be looking at the guy sitting next to me pretending to be pal would you not?

I forget exactly when Stickman posted but it was certainly long before Galt came on the scene, but I seem to recall Stickman indicated that he was in need of a break as he has been going nonstop for all the years. I think he even used the phrase burnout. I think it was in the first 4 months of 2006 that was said. Perhaps Galt just was the excuse he was looking for or was it the coup? I truly don’t know but the fact this was said makes me think Galt can take far less credit than he claims. However now that Stickman is back, I guess Galt can take no credit. Why Stickman took a break is only known to Stickman, but it certainly makes for great speculation.

I can say this in no uncertain terms, tending to a site like Stickman eats up a lot of time. Between that answering over 100 emails daily, writing a weekly column, and teaching, I would say burnout is a fairly high contender in why he took a break. I would guess at least 25+ hours a week is spent keeping his website up. I know how long it takes me when I get into my website.

As you say modifications may have come at the urging of the new government. I would think they have more influence than Galt. Again only Stickman knows the answer.

I can see what you say about Galt not helping Stickman, but after reading both sites, what site would you go back to a second and third time? I certainly don’t see much in Galt’s site except rambling and his inability to come up with anything remotely worth reading. I am waiting for Galt to say stickman was behind the coup, or did he already say that?

Yes his site would take a long time - he did post an interview saying he was leaving teaching on ajarn about a year ago though - he did not so maybe something had to give.

I for one though remain convinced Stick pulled out when the heat was turned up by Galt - I hate to say that but from previous pullings I alluded too I nkow where my hunch is.

I never said urging from this new military junta - it was the 2001 social order crackdown that had Stick running for cover at one point and urging owners of sites aimed at the same market to do likewise.

Yes if people read Galt first they might go and look at Stick site but most people (90+%) would have gone the other way and knew Stick site first - I would bet tomorrows lunchtime Subway on that ;-)))

If it was not Galt it might have been someone else - that Stick had been making some enemies in recent years in the bar scene is no secret and I think he even spoke of it himself. Not Bellying up to the bar was another area that has been mentioned too and some bar owners have talked about that I beleive but have no first hand knowledge.

I heard a rumour that Stick begged people running the ajarn.com discussion board to delete the thread discussing him. Whether this is true, god knows. IMO he mixed education with some very dodgy stuff e.g. sex and whoring. He did it for his love of the Benjamins. What I can't understand is why not quit teaching, which he hates, and set up a company and legally run the site?

It's like being a preacher in church counseling people during the day, and run a bar and dealing with bar related business at night. it's dodgy. It seems Stickman obviously never knew what he really wanted to do with his life. And apparently he truly shit himself when the Galt made his identity public. I feel sorry for Stick and his family for having had to go through some very personal and nasty attacks against him, but... he should have known better.

I heard a rumour that Stick begged people running the ajarn.com discussion board to delete the thread discussing him. Whether this is true, god knows. IMO he mixed education with some very dodgy stuff e.g. sex and whoring. He did it for his love of the Benjamins. What I can't understand is why not quit teaching, which he hates, and set up a company and legally run the site?

It's like being a preacher in church counseling people during the day, and run a bar and dealing with bar related business at night. it's dodgy. It seems Stickman obviously never knew what he really wanted to do with his life. And apparently he truly shit himself when the Galt made his identity public. I feel sorry for Stick and his family for having had to go through some very personal and nasty attacks against him, but... he should have known better.

I could not agree more and have said so!

I do not know about ajarn but i do know he has asked other boards to remove stuff. I think also the guy from the site with a site called sauce named after a fruit might have published it.

I do know Stick would not exactly help other site owners at one time or another and some of them had a healthy dose of schadenfreude over Sticks problems and some while sympathising publicly have had a few laughs over drinks to say the least.

Yes I know of some of the threats, but as I said early on Stickman wields a lot of power. One particular dance venue was particularly nasty to Stickman. Stickman countered by not saying anything about the venue positive or negative, just nothing at all. Last time I looked inside it was dead. Where you could not find a seat after 10:30 there were dozens empty at midnight. It looked like the place had fallen off the map. If I were to guess based on the price of drinks, that is probably working out to over 50,000 baht less take per night. That adds up.

Yes I know of some of the threats, but as I said early on Stickman wields a lot of power. One particular dance venue was particularly nasty to Stickman. Stickman countered by not saying anything about the venue positive or negative, just nothing at all. Last time I looked inside it was dead. Where you could not find a seat after 10:30 there were dozens empty at midnight. It looked like the place had fallen off the map. If I were to guess based on the price of drinks, that is probably working out to over 50,000 baht less take per night. That adds up.

50 k less a night many bar's would love that amount.

Stick was not that powerful though -if he was he would probably not be walking or walking with a limp - please to not overestimate his influence.

He used to write glowing revues about a place when one of his informants managed the place or had something to do with it. Then when the guy moved on the next place was the bee's knee's and the last place would often get a shitty write up with a lot of unsubstantiated gossip.

I can name two managers now in both Pattaya and Bangkok where this was the case and the bar's concerned.

S'funny how you did not know much about Stick or the bar;s he wrote about or about the brothel run by a french pimp in some posts then seem to know a lot more - ROFLMAO

With respect,

John K why the flurry of emails in support of Stickman?

Do you have a vested interest?

It seems Stickman has his own website and contacts and can surely defend himself personally if he so wishes.

I think he may advertise there and be a pal ;-)

It is funny how he knew nothing about the brothel, knew a bit about the bars but compared them to RCA but now he knows about threats to Stickman and claims Stick could take 50k a night away from a bar just by not mentioning it - ROFL

With respect,

It seems Stickman has his own website and contacts and can surely defend himself personally if he so wishes.

Particularly as he is a member of this forum and who visited the site today....

Why ignore a 150-post thread that's been bantering every thing under the sun about him?

:o:D :D

Frankly, if he can't respond himself to any of the multitude of issues concerning him.... well then, nobody else should do it for him.

With respect,

Not a flurry of support, but that is what he gets daily. Between reader submission, communications about information for his next weekly, comments that may end up in the weekly, and so on. That is just his normal volume. I think before he went off line he was getting over 30,000 unique hits a week, that is a lot of readers on his site.

As for my comments I am trying to be as un-bias as I can. I am just interested that people are basing their comments on fact and not speculation. The subtle choices of words can suggest and not imply, and often people build on another persons misinterpretation. I think you will find my posts rooted in fact. If we let this continue someone may have said stickman was showing pornography in classes. I like many don’t always have time to read the entire content of longer threads so fact can go astray quickly if there is a break in continuity. There is a phrase that sums this up, it is called a ‘Witch Hunt.’

With respect,

It is funny how he knew nothing about the brothel, knew a bit about the bars but compared them to RCA but now he knows about threats to Stickman and claims Stick could take 50k a night away from a bar just by not mentioning it - ROFL

Yeah, yes it is! and soooo persuasive.

With respect,

Particularly as he is a member of this forum and who visited the site today....

Why ignore a 150-post thread that's been bantering every thing under the sun about him?

:o:D:D

Frankly, if he can't respond himself to any of the multitude of issues concerning him.... well then, nobody else should do it for him.

He reads all the websites concerning Thailand

I have never seen him comment about anything about himself except once when he and the dutchman from one site had a tiff over hypocracy ;-)

He will be watching this thread like a hawk - I wonder if he has contacted admin and asked for anything to be pulled!!!

With respect,

Not a flurry of support, but that is what he gets daily. Between reader submission, communications about information for his next weekly, comments that may end up in the weekly, and so on. That is just his normal volume. I think before he went off line he was getting over 30,000 unique hits a week, that is a lot of readers on his site.

As for my comments I am trying to be as un-bias as I can. I am just interested that people are basing their comments on fact and not speculation. The subtle choices of words can suggest and not imply, and often people build on another persons misinterpretation. I think you will find my posts rooted in fact. If we let this continue someone may have said stickman was showing pornography in classes. I like many don’t always have time to read the entire content of longer threads so fact can go astray quickly if there is a break in continuity. There is a phrase that sums this up, it is called a ‘Witch Hunt.’

Ok fair enough no one would want to be tarnished in that way. If thats your only motive, surely you can see it's better to declare that earlier on?

You may be a fan, an advertiser, a friend whatever, by not declaring your bias/interest you diminish your point and if anything just make the Stickman look like he is paying for support.

It would be great to hear from the Stickman himself.

night all.

Edited by Douggie Style

With respect,

Yeah, yes it is! and soooo persuasive.

Then I invite you to go an look or provide other facts as to why the venue is doing so poorly.

As for the other information, as I said early on I know Dave the Rave and he was kind enough to fill me in on the workings of bars. Seeing as he is a manager and has been so for many years, I would trust what he says as an expert opinion. As for not knowing about Eden, well I have yet to meet someone from there to let me know how it works that is why I reserved my opinion.

This is a perfect example to see how easy it is to build on another persons misinterpretation. So I now place the challenge on you to provide fact and not speculation that says otherwise. I am still waiting for links that show stickman explicitly said ‘x.’