Unexpected SCB Annual Fee charged to Credit Card Account @ 5,350 Bht

On 2/13/2021 at 7:41 AM, bprhodes said:

I have 3 credit cards from the USA and have never had an issue using them in Thailand, online, or anywhere in the world.  The exchange rate is always excellent if you tell them to use Thai Baht on the charge.

Never had any problems here in 24 years. but, I use 2 foreign bank credit cards (for magazine and internet service subscriptions) and 3 Thai bank debit cards. why would anyone buy anything, using a credit card ? all consumer products (incl. autos) can be financed cheaply here.

2 hours ago, paddypower said:

Never had any problems here in 24 years. but, I use 2 foreign bank credit cards (for magazine and internet service subscriptions) and 3 Thai bank debit cards. why would anyone buy anything, using a credit card ? all consumer products (incl. autos) can be financed cheaply here.

I’ve had large medical bills, using a cc buys me a month before my insurance pays me back.  Also I get reward points, and there is no foreign transaction fee.  I agree, gotta pay the bill on time every month.

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Is it a myth that the amount of credit on the card must be secured by a term deposit or similar?  

It's not a myth if it's a "secured" credit card which requires a locked deposit of X-amount to get a credit line of X-amount.  Like some Thai banks may require Bt100K deposit for a Bt50K credit line...other banks might give Bt100K credit line....depends on the bank policy as to what deposit amount is required for a certain credit line.

If a "unsecured" credit card which you get simply because your credit is good...the card-issuing bank don't have any worries you might skip out on a balance due, then no deposit is required for a credit line.

51 minutes ago, Pib said:

It's not a myth if it's a "secured" credit card which requires a locked deposit of X-amount to get a credit line of X-amount.  Like some Thai banks may require Bt100K deposit for a Bt50K credit line...other banks might give Bt100K credit line....depends on the bank policy as to what deposit amount is required for a certain credit line.

If a "unsecured" credit card which you get simply because your credit is good...the card-issuing bank don't have any worries you might skip out on a balance due, then no deposit is required for a credit line.

I was under the belief that all farang were basically considered a flight risk, so Thai banks required a security account from them.  Not to mention, most farang have no employment.  

I admit, I don't have a Thai credit card.  I've never had a need for a Thai credit card.  Credit cards from my home country have always done what I have needed them to do here, and in many other countries, 

I do have two Thai debit cards. One of the cards I move money onto it specifically if I need to use it, including in an ATM, and it's not attached to the account that has the bulk of my funds.  

On 2/13/2021 at 9:33 AM, Pib said:

I expect you have your USA address onfile with those 3 cards?

I have cards from a couple of different US banks billed to my Thai address.  They were opened with a US address then changed to a Thai address.  No problem, one for over 20 years that way.  No luck getting a new card without a US address.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 2:36 PM, tomdfc said:

To close the thread which I started, following an approach to SCB they have said that they will waive the annual fee.  Thanks to all for input. 

How many don't ask and just pay?