Tukcom Reccomendation Request

rcuthbert

Just post the details here. If you are still running with HDD, it will also be a good time to move to SSD.

So you can run a clean install to SSD and move your stuff over from the HDD afterwards. Cost of SSD from 500 baht. Windows 7 cost? Possibly nothing dependent on the hardware.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Just post the details here. If you are still running with HDD, it will also be a good time to move to SSD.

So you can run a clean install to SSD and move your stuff over from the HDD afterwards. Cost of SSD from 500 baht. Windows 7 cost? Possibly nothing dependent on the hardware.

Software is free to download, a real license will cost about $5 USD on eBay.

According to the Dell Diagnostic software, Windows 10 is not compatible with my 2012 laptop. Since problems are starting to occur, it is time for preemptive action. In addition, I have a terabyte of HQ TV and movies, so caution is the operative word.

Windows 7 on Lazada - 195 baht.

There's a small shop, on the same floor as JIB, that sells refurbished computers and parts. Many of his computers/laptops have Win7. I've used him a couple times and a friend bought a cheap laptop from him that works great (for what buddy is doing, checking emails and playing movies).
Can't remember the name of the shop and I can't find photos of the floors of Tukcom. Might not even be there anymore as those little shops tend to come and go quickly. You could do a walkabout on that floor and check in with the half a dozen (or so) small shops to see what they'd charge to do the job. Might be a bit dodgy with the license though.

Note too that (if I recall correctly) MS isn't supporting/upgrading Win7 anymore so if you have issues with it you're out of luck.

• Thanks 2

Just now, rcuthbert said:

According to the Dell Diagnostic software, Windows 10 is not compatible with my 2012 laptop. Since problems are starting to occur, it is time for preemptive action. In addition, I have a terabyte of HQ TV and movies, so caution is the operative word.

Hmmmm...what's the Service Tag or express code? Post via PM if you don't want to do it here. I advise via PM.

There are usually only two main things that cause issues. One is the wireless card(usually Broadcom) and the other is switchable graphics.

So let's see if either of those is an issue in your case.

Secondly, BACK UP! I know it's shouting, but I need to be clear.

But let's look at the possible issue whilst I am here.

3 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Windows 7 on Lazada - 195 baht.

There's a small shop, on the same floor as JIB, that sells refurbished computers and parts. Many of his computers/laptops have Win7. I've used him a couple times and a friend bought a cheap laptop from him that works great (for what buddy is doing, checking emails and playing movies).
Can't remember the name of the shop and I can't find photos of the floors of Tukcom. Might not even be there anymore as those little shops tend to come and go quickly. You could do a walkabout on that floor and check in with the half a dozen (or so) small shops to see what they'd charge to do the job. Might be a bit dodgy with the license though.

Note too that (if I recall correctly) MS isn't supporting/upgrading Win7 anymore so if you have issues with it you're out of luck.

If the laptop was originally supplied with Windows 7, he won't need a licence. But let's see what the issue is firstly.

Eight to nine year old HDD might be an issue if there are no back-ups and the OP sounds nervous. 

I would suggest putting the old HDD into a caddy and clean installing whichever OS on to a new SSD....if indeed the OP is still running slow spinning disk storage.

Though prior to this would like to understand the issue the OP is experiencing with the laptop.

6 minutes ago, rcuthbert said:

Are you aware that win 7 has a size limits for usb eternal drives? Win 7 may not recognize your 1 TB if its an eternal device

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Are you aware that win 7 has a size limits for usb eternal drives? Win 7 may not recognize your 1 TB if its an eternal device

It recognizes my 2-3 tb hardrive 

And OP never mentioned whether he wants a legal licence or whether he can use hack tools to crack the windows. OP needs to get with the times and learn about torrents where he can download all he needs rather than paying some dodgy shops that (like other poster mentioned) install all kinds of junk and generally use flashy windows systems full of third party stuff. BTW... they don't usually do clean installs but rather ghost their stuff which usually leads to many problems.

1 hour ago, Halfaboy said:

I would recommend Pattaya2you - tel. 066891099801. They are located not in, but behind TukCom (opposite the TukCom garage). Reliable service by experienced engineers. 

Often recommended.

https://pattaya2u.business.site/

They're certainly up to the job. You'll receive a lot of flak here from our installation experts for not doing it yourself, of course.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Often recommended.

https://pattaya2u.business.site/

They're certainly up to the job. You'll receive a lot of flak here from our installation experts for not doing it yourself, of course.

We don't need your sarcastic comments here. 

Up to the job? Every outlet is up to the job. But will they install Windows 7 with a genuine licence?

How do you know what they will do? 

So here will can guide the OP firstly, so that he understands the underlying issues. Rather than moving back to an unsupported OS for the wrong reasons.

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Hmmmm...what's the Service Tag or express code? Post via PM if you don't want to do it here. I advise via PM.

There are usually only two main things that cause issues. One is the wireless card(usually Broadcom) and the other is switchable graphics.

So let's see if either of those is an issue in your case.

Secondly, BACK UP! I know it's shouting, but I need to be clear.

But let's look at the possible issue whilst I am here.

The model is not compatible with Windows 10.

1 hour ago, rcuthbert said:

The model is not compatible with Windows 10.

I read what you thought about compatibility earlier. I asked for the details in so that I could check if even ONE other person is suffering from the same issues. So will you supply the information or just take yourself to Tukcom and enjoy the service and expense?

I don't want you to miss my oh so gentle hint about it being VERY unlikely that it is incompatible with Windows 10. In fact I would state the chances are ZERO, having dealt with thousands of devices.

Every single laptop that had a issue was solvable going forward. Usually either Broadcom card or switchable graphics. I'm currently running a laptop from 2007, yet you think a laptop from 2012 has some special components that make it incompatible?

Why not try listening for a change?

Moving back to Windows 7 is not an intelligent move. Even Windows 8.1 Update 3 is still supported. But I am sure the issue with your laptop and Windows 10 is easily solvable.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Haha 1

Not sure how you came to Win 10? Upgraded from Win 7 with Windows update? If so and you are still within 30 days then Win 10 provides you a very easy option to roll back to your previous Win 7. You can check if you still have a folder "Windows.old". There are the data for rolling back. Then you can roll back within Win 10. It is good idea to backup important data before - just in case... 

If not you have to reinstall Win 7. If this might be a huge effort because you have a lot of software installed then it might be perhaps better to fix problems you have with Windows 10. You don't write about them. But perhaps your notebook producer provides drivers for Windows 10 in the meantime. 

• Thanks 1