Siam Commercial Bank - What is with their ATM's?

Anyone know what the score is with SCB ATM's? I just got a new debit card and it cannot be used in virtually half of their ATM's - It works in the "Cardless" ones (whatever they are because you still need the card). None of them allow withdrawals of more than 10K Baht for some strange reason, they do not maintain them, try to print a receipt and you get a printout from the previous customer, or more than likely no printout at all! This bank is really going down the toilet, we had three branches within 15KM, now we have one ATM and one toilet of a bank that I dread having to step into as they are staffed by horrible people.

Any recommendations for a half decent bank that can accept international transfers.....anyone using Krung Thai? (Not interested in Kasikorn as they are worse than SCB in my area and Bangkok Bank seems to be going to shutdown some branches too) At least Krung Thai can accept speeding fines etc. when all of the local cop shops keep telling me that the "Computer Says No!"

There is also a farmers bank around here, not sure if they would be international or only provincial. (BAAC....I think)

Cheers!

Edited by Formaleins

All banks will shut down branches sooner or later. Thai banks have always been overstaffed and too many branches compared to western banks.

Krung Thai accepts highway speeding fines exclusively.

But be warned: Krung Thai is overburdened with government (officers)/welfare tasks.

The speed ticket job is one.

Queues today were extreme(!) as never seen before (up to 1 km one example shows).

Its about the latest welfare scheme.

But even at other times I rarely see a Krung Thai that is not crowded.

BAAC: the true farmers bank. Can also be crowded like mad, tents on the road.  They pay subsidies/loans for farmers.

Depending on your location the crowding might be less then here but I am talking from experience. The real punishment of the speeding ticket is paying at Krung Thai.

I have cards of Bangkok Bank, SCB and Kasikorn and have internet banking.

All work flawlessly since 2009/2011/2012.

Can hardly remember a problem except broken/unreadable ATMs.

Less than a handful of "system errors" over the years.

No card swallowed or money missing (OK, might be some luck attached).

I use ATMs of other banks if there is a queue at my bank.

So I can not contribute much about your trouble.

Kasikorn seems most professional for expats. Bangkok bank sleepy/antique.

SCB staff not too clever. Took four days to change a passport number for the account and getting internet banking back to work.

But again: experience might differ much depending on location.

48 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

At least Krung Thai can accept speeding fines etc. when all of the local cop shops keep telling me that the "Computer Says No!"

As written: exclusive to Krung Thai for highway police. Not the fault of your cop shop.

Direct complaints to police head.

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

All banks will shut down branches sooner or later. Thai banks have always been overstaffed and too many branches compared to western banks.

Krung Thai accepts highway speeding fines exclusively.

But be warned: Krung Thai is overburdened with government (officers)/welfare tasks.

The speed ticket job is one.

Queues today were extreme(!) as never seen before (up to 1 km one example shows).

Its about the latest welfare scheme.

But even at other times I rarely see a Krung Thai that is not crowded.

BAAC: the true farmers bank. Can also be crowded like mad, tents on the road.  They pay subsidies/loans for farmers.

Depending on your location the crowding might be less then here but I am talking from experience. The real punishment of the speeding ticket is paying at Krung Thai.

I have cards of Bangkok Bank, SCB and Kasikorn and have internet banking.

All work flawlessly since 2009/2011/2012.

Can hardly remember a problem except broken/unreadable ATMs.

Less than a handful of "system errors" over the years.

No card swallowed or money missing (OK, might be some luck attached).

I use ATMs of other banks if there is a queue at my bank.

So I can not contribute much about your trouble.

Kasikorn seems most professional for expats. Bangkok bank sleepy/antique.

SCB staff not too clever. Took four days to change a passport number for the account and getting internet banking back to work.

But again: experience might differ much depending on location.

As written: exclusive to Krung Thai for highway police. Not the fault of your cop shop.

Direct complaints to police head.

Thanks!

56 minutes ago, phetphet said:

The chip in your card might be dirty. Try rubbing it with a pencil eraser. That's what they did in Kasikorn when I had the same problem.

The contacts on the surface. Clean carefully. It's worth to carry the cards in the plastic cover.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, Formaleins said:

now we have one ATM

To check whether the ATM is bad: just use the ATM of any other major bank (almost all).

Four times per calendar month it's free (no extra fee).

Even your balance will be shown there.

After that a fee of 15/20 Baht will be added.

Avoid printing a slip, might cost (not sure).

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, Formaleins said:

Any recommendations for a half decent bank that can accept international transfers

Of course Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn would receive international transfers (from own experience).

And I doubt that any of the majors would make a problem with that.

Do you have TMB and Krungsri in your area.

Some posters praise them for their features.

How complicated it is to open an account with them is another question :licklips:

• Like 1