Defrosting Fridges

markwhite

Does the freezer compartment frost up much quicker over here, or am I doing something drastically wrong??

It's been defrosted twice in two months, but in the UK I think I cleared my fridge out once every few years! Is it the humidity or something???

TIA,

Mark...

I suggest you buy a self defrosting fridge, then the problem will go away.

If you have a standard model, then it is probably the higher humidity that causes the problem.

Does the freezer compartment frost up much quicker over here, or am I doing something drastically wrong??

It's been defrosted twice in two months, but in the UK I think I cleared my fridge out once every few years! Is it the humidity or something???

TIA,

Mark...

Alright Mark,

yep I do the same here, my biatch samsung is always chock full of ice, needing a defrost once or twice every month. The overflow tank at the back loves to spill out water onto the electrics, trying to electrocute me once every while, I revenge this with lots of Bia Archa stuffed neatly into its frosting compartment, and make it suffer. I think it must be the heat here, as my gf likes to say "fridge try fight hot"....

:o KD

^Ha! I've suggested for a long time that forums should have word counters rather than post counters; then you and I would be right up there, PTE!!!

I like to let it get good and icy and then turn off the power at night, with towels around the door to catch the water. Makes creepy sounds and loud sudden bang!s as the ice falls.

If I have defrost I find it better to power off, then stand a bowl of warm water in the compartment to help the process.

As the lumps of ice drop off, I take them out and dispose of them.

No need to have un-necessary flooding. :o

With luck I can get the whole defrost done in under and hour and the food back in.

If I have defrost I find it better to power off, then stand a bowl of warm water in the compartment to help the process.

No need to have un-necessary flooding. :D

With luck I can get the whole defrost done in under and hour and the food back in.

At the recent defrost ceremony, I decided to economise and catch the lumps of ice in a bowl, ushering them into a nice glass of Bia Chaang. I felt a wee bit queazy afterwards.

:o

My wife loves to get a knife and jab at the sides of the ice box

after about 30 or 40 seconds she then informs me , fridge no good anymore.

time to by a new one. (punched the coolant pipes in the side ) :D

Time for large quantity of beer Chang and stay cool. :D

Does that ring a bell with anyone? :o

Before I traded up for a frost-free model, I used to defrost my old Sharp fridge once every two months. Bear in mind that I am in Chiang Mai, not as humid here as in many other parts of Thailand.

My wife loves to get a knife and jab at the sides of the ice box

after about 30 or 40 seconds she then informs me , fridge no good anymore.

time to by a new one. (punched the coolant pipes in the side ) :D

Time for large quantity of beer Chang and stay cool. :D

Does that ring a bell with anyone? :o

Who would be daft enough to try that, or use a hammer and screwdriver to chip it out because they are too lazy to unplug it for an hour??? Certainly not me :D

I used to defrost every couple of months, messy and a pain moving the fridge out to empty the drain tray in the back. THEN I wrapped an empty shoebox in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer compartment, a perfect fit. Now NO ice built up at all in the freezer. I defrost when the outer bottom of the freezer compartment gets iced up...never have to move the fridge out to get at the tray as the water evaporates.

I used to defrost every couple of months, messy and a pain moving the fridge out to empty the drain tray in the back. THEN I wrapped an empty shoebox in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer compartment, a perfect fit. Now NO ice built up at all in the freezer. I defrost when the outer bottom of the freezer compartment gets iced up...never have to move the fridge out to get at the tray as the water evaporates.

Amazing what you can do with an Empty shoebox and plastic bag! :o

Even with a top of the line U.S. fridge with all the gadgets to control humidity in the box, still get plenty. I have begun leaving the veg and meat compartments slightly ajar so the fridge keeps them dryer than they are when closed. Many vegetables don't do well when in tightly wrapped plastic bags, they start to sweat almost immediately. That is why many pre-packaged vegies have bags with holes in them.

Consensus seems to be that it's fairly normal given the humidity.

It's not a problem as...well, I don't defrost it myself :-) And the it has a defrost button and the water gets collected via a tube that runs out the back, so it's not like hacking lumps of ice off it with a carving knife, which was my style back in the UK.

dont they sell fridges made for tropics? ( cause since we dont have ac, jerusalem is drier than thailand but inside house is often much hotter than outside) and fridge doesnt have problem. its lg brand and i researched the tropics thingy before i bought .

the forty salmon fish heads we bought (anon is a fish freak) and froze are still nicely frozen along with the calves' leg, and pigs liver pieces in their little plastic bags (thats me the neatness freak).

check the sealer.