Thai Phrase For Dead-end

cali4995

I had a young female friend who was being encouraged to enter into the nightlife scene by

her peer group. (the road is paved with gold sort of thing) and I was trying to think of a

gentle suggestion to give her which might make her pause and at least think about it

(and then I realized she would never listen to me anyway) but still, what kind of phrase

would you use? I was thinking something like "this career is a dead-end?"

วิชาชีพ นี้ เป็น ทางตัน

wí-chaa chêep née bpen taang dtan

I found this word, taang dtan, on thai2english but there are so many expressions for

end, stop, finish? I never paid attention to a dead-end street sign before?

Maybe there is some general Thai proverb that illustrates such a concept?

Any suggestions? (realizing the end-goal is futile but I'd like to know the phrase) :o

You can try by telling her that " This career will not be lasting and you then will get the dead-end" - อาชีพนี้มันไม่ยั่งยืน สุดท้ายคุณก็จะพบกับทางตัน

ยั่งยืน - to be lasting, to be pernament, to be stable

ทางตัน - dead-end

Thank-you for those replies, I think the cash register is already ringing in her head so it doesn't matter what I say (her girlfriends are feeding her fairytales of new houses and cars) but it did make me realize that there must be Thai proverbs to describe such a situation and I've honestly never learned one. Let me study your answers and maybe I can make sense of it. :o

Thank-you for those replies, I think the cash register is already ringing in her head so it doesn't matter what I say (her girlfriends are feeding her fairytales of new houses and cars) but it did make me realize that there must be Thai proverbs to describe such a situation and I've honestly never learned one. Let me study your answers and maybe I can make sense of it. :o

its funny we know a girl who went to the south to work in the industry, came back with a heap of cash and some sort of infection in her pu**y

so she checked into the hospital etc....etc....

by the time she was all 'cured' and the bills had been paid, she had no money in her pocket and a permenant frown.

May not be what you're looking for, but here's a favourite of mine:

เห็นช้างขี้ขี้ตามช้าง

Yes, it is kind of sad. I've seen this scenario play-out before. Very few girls actually hit the "jackpot". They begin aging rapidly and soon, when they are in full bar-girl battle regalia, you can't hardly even recognize them anymore. It's nice to think maybe you can offer some kind words in the native tongue to encourage someone in a particular direction, but in practice, extremely difficult to do. :o

P.S. Mangkorn, when I view your replies, the encoding on the "Thai" script is off. I don't know why that is? Yours seems to be the only one on my computer that reads that way. On the home page of Thai2english there is a link which discusses this but their conversion fix seems temporary?

Yes, it is kind of sad. I've seen this scenario play-out before. Very few girls actually hit the "jackpot". They begin aging rapidly and soon, when they are in full bar-girl battle regalia, you can't hardly even recognize them anymore. It's nice to think maybe you can offer some kind words in the native tongue to encourage someone in a particular direction, but in practice, extremely difficult to do. :o

P.S. Mangkorn, when I view your replies, the encoding on the "Thai" script is off. I don't know why that is? Yours seems to be the only one on my computer that reads that way. On the home page of Thai2english there is a link which discusses this but their conversion fix seems temporary?

Yes, I know. Because I use a Mac, I have to put Thai script in Unicode UTF-8.

Sorry, you can read it if you activate Unicode UTF-8. That won't affect anything else you read, as far as I know, and it's easy to do in your text encoding. But that would be a nuisance, no doubt.

I simply don't know how else to do. It seems to be the only way to use Thai script with my high-powered, very expensive Mac.

Anyway, the last post I sent your way was: "hen chang kii, kii dtaam chang"

which may translate as "small as a flea, but wants to shit like an elephant."

It does speak to today's voracious consumerism, and the lust for that elusive gold. I knew a young woman who made 5,000 baht/month, like many people do, yet she bought a freaking telephone that cost 25,000 baht! No doubt she had to borrow that money, probably at usury rates; how long do you suppose it will take her to pay for that phone? The mind reels...

The venerable monarch teaches "sufficiency," but nobody seems to heed the father. I mean, when those yellow shirts first appeared last year, they were selling for up to 10 times the price of a normal shirt, and people paid it - to honour the man who tries to teach them to live within their own means.

Talk about ironic.

Oh well, that proverb occurred to me just because it sounds like your friend is determined to try to shit like an elephant...

Cheers.