Moving To Chiang Mai

jackr

Hi,

Does anyone out there have any advice on van hire/furniture removals in Thailand? I will be moving up to Chiang Mai from Hat Yai in a couple of weeks and have a fair amount of kit to move.

Tried Budget car hire, but they only have mini-vans and not the full van of the same size. Driving myself would be the most convenient way but if furniture removals worked out cheap enough that would be second best.

Cheers

When I moved from CM. it was a 450 KM move and we got a covered truck,like a 1 1/2 ton, they came and loaded everything and we rode with the driver,,was a very easy thing,and the cost was 5000 baht for everything. You might look into that sort of thing, lot of trucks in Thailand.

Do not know of any domestic moving firms, (but there probably are a few), and most people DIY by hire of truck/driver/staff who will load/truck/remove. But this will be a person to person deal rather than a firm. You should be able to find where trucks for hire park in the Hat Yai area and then do a deal or have someone do for you. Don't expect any insurance so be there for loading/unloading. :o

Just been looking at the map, its about 1600km Hat Yai to Chiang Mai, we have a 6 wheel'er truck/lorry about 7 ton capacity. We have done this sort of thing before when asked but its not our regular buissiness.

We usually charge about 10bht a kilo, no insurance (the lorry has but not the cargo) so that would be about 32,000 bht might give you a starting fig when negotiating.

Best bet is to ask around if someone has a truck with not a lot of work on then you should be able to get cheaper, also it does'nt matter where the lorry come from as the round trip will be about the same.

The fuel cost alone would be about 6500-7000 bht, then 2 days there 2 back 1 load/unload(minimum), prob a driver +2 if you want them to load, so thats about 3000bht +extra of food n stuff about 2000

Thats about 12000 off the top of my head.

The biggest prob would be time(if not I'd offer myself), most people with trucks run them as much as poss if they have regular routes, they might have to cancell and lose the work, just ask around see what you can find, the 32k is prob a bit much if it was quiet would prob do it for around 22-25k. If everything can fit in the back of a covered pick up or 4 wheel lorry it would be cheaper, a 10 wheel'er more expensive.

KevinN sounds like you had a good deal.

Hi,

Does anyone out there have any advice on van hire/furniture removals in Thailand? I will be moving up to Chiang Mai from Hat Yai in a couple of weeks and have a fair amount of kit to move.

Tried Budget car hire, but they only have mini-vans and not the full van of the same size. Driving myself would be the most convenient way but if furniture removals worked out cheap enough that would be second best.

Cheers

Whem my wife and I moved back to Chiang Mai from Songkhla a few years ago, we used ETO (Express Transport Organization) We paid, as I remember, about 4 baht per kilo, picked up from our house

4 years ago, I moved 2 big bikes and a household from Bkk to CM by private 6-wheel truck. It was 7,000 baht, all inclusive

Figuring from the 6-wheel cost, you might be looking at around 20,000 to move from Hat Yai to CM, would be my guess...

Here is the ETO website http://www.eto.mot.go.th/index1.htm

They have an office in Songkhla, but I only see the Bkk info

Express Transportation Organization

485/1Sri Ayudahya Rd, BKK 10400; Tel 2450647; Fax 2452104

Transportation Costs, Including Fuel Costs and Freight Rates (2000) to give you maybe a rough guide http://www.boi.go.th/english/tid/data/BOI_...tation1200.html

Good luck. You are making a smart move :o

Sorry the last post I was thinking of the top of my head, At the moment the fuel price is about 14.7 bht for diesel, My lorry does about 1km for 3.2 bhat, it's around journt of at least 3200 km that's minimum of 10,000 in fuel and that's a 1.5 YR old Hino,

Its usually worked out by distance not weight, loked at the links were they about self drive ? cos it says "Rental Cost per Truck" nothing about fuel?

Asked my brother-in-law tonight he said about 35k. If you do self drive who brings it back, anyway best of luck. I would be intrested to know how much you get it for, PM me if you have the time or the intrest.

Cheers RandomChances

Thanks for the replies guys.

Perhaps I was a bit mis-leading with my posting. I said I had quite a bit of kit to move, but nothing in the order of beds and settees etc., which would require a 7 tonner. But probably more than would fit in a pick-up, which was why I was asking about mini-cargo-vans, if anyone had rented from a standard company before.

Would be far easier this way, to be able to drive up there over 3 days then drop the vehicle off at Chiang Mai Airport with no relocation charge. I may do a trial fitting on a pick-up, maybe I could stack it all up and bung a tarpaulin over the top; would save a tonne of money.

Thanks again

• 2 years later...

Going the other way this time :o. Managed to hire a Budget pick-up last time from Phuket and dropped off in Chiang Mai - something like 3,300 for the pick-up and less than 3k for fuel. Need to do same again but tried Budget, Avis, and Hertz and no-one has a pick-up available. Anyone know of another company that will allow you to do a drop off in Phuket without a ridiculous fee?

Cheers