Britain's Sainsbury's to cut 500 more jobs, shrink office space

webfact

As a kid, I used to work in Sainsbury's ........ awful employers, Tesco paid much more ....... but were also awful employers.

Odd how supermarket chains can lose customers then slowly sink, I'm guessing it's management failing to move with the times.

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As a kid, I used to work in Sainsbury's ........ awful employers, Tesco paid much more ....... but were also awful employers.

Odd how supermarket chains can lose customers then slowly sink, I'm guessing it's management failing to move with the times.

As somebody already pointed out, budget supermarkets are taking a slice of the market.

The thing I noticed the last time I was in UK supermarkets was how Tesco/Sainsbury/Morrison’s have made significant cuts to the range of products they have on their shelves.

Five years earlier each had several choices of brand for each product, this for the most part is now reduced to a brand leader and the in house version.

Thank goodness for Waitrose! 

Edited by Chomper Higgot

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Oh look, they’re not even ‘real spaces’.

Doh!

This is classic. Allow me to summarize.

First you support Racial segregation, thinking it was 'real spaces'.

Then you deny it exists.

Then when provided links, you say Racial segregation is fine as long as it's only online. ????

Maybe you'd also be OK with White only versions of Twitter and FaceBook with no Blacks allowed? Maybe you'd prefer to ban Asians from posting on ThaiVisa so us Whities have a safe space? That's all good, nothing divisive there. Because racial segregation doesn't count if it's online ????. Wow. Maybe you'd have been happier in 1950's Oklahoma?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You are letting your imagination run away with you again.

This is the problem when you drag race into a discussion armed with your grabs from Twitter.

We are all entitled to our opinion. You support racial segregation and I oppose it in all forms. Let's agree to disagree.

When Sainsbury's publicly declare that anyone who opposes their policy of "Black only" safe spaces should shop elsewhere, get a massive backlash from high profile figures stating they will boycott their stores, and then see a drop in sales, I don't believe it takes a genius to see the relevance of such an ill advised, divisive and regressive policy to this thread.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

This is classic. Allow me to summarize.

First you support Racial segregation, thinking it was 'real spaces'.

Then you deny it exists.

Then when provided links, you say Racial segregation is fine as long as it's only online. ????

Maybe you'd also be OK with White only versions of Twitter and FaceBook with no Blacks allowed? Maybe you'd prefer to ban Asians from posting on ThaiVisa so us Whities have a safe space? That's all good, nothing divisive there. Because racial segregation doesn't count if it's online ????. Wow. Maybe you'd have been happier in 1950's Oklahoma?

I work for the Australian government and they have special programs for aborigine employees whereby they can get support and maybe meet together and work with mentors who may be aborigines who have been successful.

It is common too to have women's only functions whereby women can speak freely and talk about how to succeed with issues that particularly affect women. Having an online platform, if I am reading that right, to discuss issues that may affect a part of the population, doesn't seem such a big deal and not segregation.

It may be hard to be a black worker in supermarkets in the UK sometimes. They are a minority. Whites are not. If prejudice against ugly red heads was a thing maybe they could have their own safe space.   

Blacks too may be massively under represented in management. They certainly don't deserve a cosseted work place, or a  free pass into management, but if there given a bit of help and support to talk about their particular issues with each other then who is being hurt. 

I take your point that their may be some virtually signaling but  it surely could have positive side effects ..

• Like 1

Just now, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Having an online platform, if I am reading that right, to discuss issues that may affect a part of the population, doesn't seem such a big deal and not segregation.

Try setting one up for middle class white men and see what happens.

Defunded and deplatformed is the normal ending.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Thanks for the reasoned response, so much better to discuss it in an intelligent way than with someone like Chomper who just screams "Racist" all the time.

Personally I think it's the thin end of the wedge and shouldn't happen. I also think that Sainsbury's are doing it to prove how 'right on' they are and this will have no meaningful effect to the workers. If they want to help workers, pay them a decent wage (irrespective of race). If there is racism within the company, stamp down on it hard on a case by case basis.

I also think that if they set up an only group for White employees only, the reaction would be different and I dislike the double standard.

With respect, the UK is not Australia where the aboriginal people are the natives, and it's not the US with the history of slavery. Generally in the UK whites and blacks work together, have relationships together, play sport together, drink together with very few issues and I don't support this type of policy which I see as divisive and regressive. It panders to identity politics and there is more than a whiff of critical race theory in there.

Back to the topic of this thread, I also don't think that Sainsbury's should be telling customers that if they disagree with these controversial policies then shop elsewhere. They are a retailer with a responsibility to their shareholders and should stick to telling customers about their 2 for 1 offers on Cabbages, not how they should think about social/racial issues.

As an aside my department has just set up a thing for elder prejudice so us older and mainly white public servants approaching retirement are the focus.

I think it's OK if its done right.

I take your point - Australia doesn't have a lot of that stuff - it seems in the states businesses can get corny and gratuitous and over the top in the way they show there wokeness. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Is this move a result of declining sales, or part of an organisational restructuring? Shares are up 12% over the past year according to the article; I am certain that sales will have done well this year and probably will continue while the lockdown is prolonged.

• Thanks 1

Now this is no slam on you Brits, I've been a fully paid up Anglophile after all those hours of listening to the BBC World Service on shortwave as a geeky kid in my bedroom.

But it has, in recent decades at least fascinated me by your obsessive focus on supermarkets!

Over the past few years I can't count the number of TV news articles, various newspaper stories that are about the supermarket business.

In my whole life I think I could probably count the number of stories about US supermarkets on one hand

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

That is not the topic of this thread. It is just the topic that keeps your head occupied for a worryingly long time. 

The topic of the thread is Sainsbury's laying off staff due to falling sales. 

I am highlighting one of the reasons that customers are turning away from Sainsbury's.

Feel free to worry about it. Wring your hands if you like. I'm not worried ????. Have a great evening, I'm just heading out.

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

I am highlighting one of the reasons that customers are turning away from Sainsbury's.

Feel free to worry about it. Wring your hands if you like. I'm not worried ????. Have a great evening, I'm just heading out.

“I am highlighting one of the reasons that customers are turning away from Sainsbury's.”

No you’re not.

You are parading your bias and backing it up wit a Tweet from a comedian.

You have produced zero evidence that any customer has been ‘turned away’ from Sainsbury on the basis of the particular reasons you claim.

If you have any evidence post it. (Comedians posting inflammatory comments on Twitter in an attempt to jump the shark is not evidence).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Thanks for the reasoned response, so much better to discuss it in an intelligent way than with someone like Chomper who just screams "Racist" all the time.

There’s your claim.

Now post links to me shouting ‘racist’ or retract.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Nowhere in the OP does it say anything about falling sales. Can you link to it?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...