Transfer re-entry permit to new passport?

I left Thailand in September and flew to the USA (I'm an American citizen). 

I purchased my re-entry permit before I left Thailand. 

In the meantime, I had to get a new passport because my old one was full.  What exactly do I need to do when I fly back to Thailand?  Do I show the Suvarnabhumi immigration officer both passports?  

I have a work permit and my visa will still be valid when I fly back to Thailand.

1 minute ago, PaulieRey said:

Thanks for the information, everyone, it's much appreciated. @DrJack54I got my re-entry permit at Phuket immigration before I flew to Bangkok and then to Los Angeles.

I only asked because based on my experience, when I obtained new passport CW where I obtain my annual extensions happy to transfer visa info etc but would not transfer my reentry permit. I always obtain mine at the airport and they directed me to go there.

No issue I traveled with both passports for several months and waited for next extension

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I only asked because based on my experience, when I obtained new passport CW where I obtain my annual extensions happy to transfer visa info etc but would not transfer my reentry permit. I always obtain mine at the airport and they directed me to go there.

No issue I traveled with both passports for several months and waited for next extension

Will CW transfer a reentry- permit that had been issued by CW?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PumpkinEater said:

Mine is just about full as well, but me tinks doing this in Thailand may be quicker...?

You have pay $60 extra to get your passport quicker than about 6 weeks or more in the states.

It is only taking about 2 weeks here and that is doing it by mail to the embassy in Bangkok.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2021 at 11:14 AM, PattayaKevin said:

Passport card is a card for entry to the United States over land border and cruises from Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, and the Caribbean instead of using your passport.

Screenshot_20210310-111645_Chrome.jpg

Interesting! Is the American Embassy prepared to issue such cards to Americans in advance of them renewing their passports here in Thailand, so that they can then have something to show to the BIB in the event of being stopped on the street for an ID check in lieu of their existing passports which, I gather, need to be submitted with their passport renewal applications in due course?

It's an extra cost for the passport card. Can get it with or without a passport same form. Cost is about 1000 baht for a renewal of the card, about double for first one.  they state takes 6 weeks but I got mine in 3. I don't think Thailand would accept it. They probably won't accept it in Thailand.

States on the page that The passport card was designed for the specific needs of northern and southern U.S. border communities with residents that cross the border frequently by land. The passport book is the only document approved for international air travel.

allows you to use the ready lanes to go quickly across the border with the rfid chip in it.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi folks,

Slightly different but similar enough situation here - my new UK passport was issued via VFS here in Bangkok. I've just spent several hours at CW getting my Non-O marriage extension transferred into the new passport, but they did not transfer the multiple re-entry permit.

They directed me to desk C2 for that, but it was already closed by the time my other stamps were transferred at 5.30pm.

Can I transfer the existing re-entry permit at BKK next time I leave the country, or do I need to return to CW? Or can I just show the old passport next time I fly out, along with the new one?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, thatmanagain said:

Hi folks,

Slightly different but similar enough situation here - my new UK passport was issued via VFS here in Bangkok. I've just spent several hours at CW getting my Non-O marriage extension transferred into the new passport, but they did not transfer the multiple re-entry permit.

They directed me to desk C2 for that, but it was already closed by the time my other stamps were transferred at 5.30pm.

Can I transfer the existing re-entry permit at BKK next time I leave the country, or do I need to return to CW? Or can I just show the old passport next time I fly out, along with the new one?

Thanks!

You can travel with both passports.

Just show the io your reentry permit in old pp upon any reentry to Thailand. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You can travel with both passports.

Just show the io your reentry permit in old pp upon any reentry to Thailand. 

I did it for over 6 months and in those days I was flying out/in Thailand every month.

No problem .

I actually never got it transferred, just waited till my next extension.

Obviously make it easy for the io.

I had it opened at reentry permit page. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1