Chinese set to be first group to benefit from electronic "vaccine passport" travel bubble

webfact

15 minutes ago, webfact said:

Anutin mention an "electronic" vaccine passport to facilitate this

Don't drop it down the toilet as you might your phone then .. 

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that the tone of this report indicated strongly that the Chinese were leaning heavily on Thailand using a "you scratch our back we'll scratch yours" strategy in offering vaccine and foreign  tourists in exchange for preferential treatment of Chinese living abroad.

Blimey who'd have thought that .. 

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Under pressure for what?, oh yes I forgot the most important economic one and that would so that the Chinese could start shipping funds to Thailand so that China can officially start buying up all of the properties that have fallen on hard times, and to ensure Thailand is owned by the Chinese one day, well thats just my view.

China owns most of Asia and Australia already 

https://www.news.com.au/topics/china

• Like 2

(Familiar expressions such as "we are brothers of the Chinese" were mentioned as the Chinese appeared to be using tourism as a bargaining chip.)

Ahh yes, the heartwarming story of brothers.

This one reminds me more of "Cain and Abel" though

• Like 2

China wants to be the first to benefit from a vaccine passport even though it is far behind countries like the UK and US in vaccinating its people.  https://qz.com/1981186/chinas-covid-19-success-is-slowing-its-vaccine-rollout/

If Thailand agrees to this it will show who is really in charge of the country, and it won't be the Thai government.

• Thanks 1

Girlfriend asked me if when things open up again how are we going to travel as we may not have had a vaccination by then and definitely won't have a vaccine passport like Anutin was waving on the television.  I replied "Your guess is as good as min as I have not got the faintest Idea, and we might just have to quarantine"  She replied "No travel then back to the US? How can you fly",  I replied "looks like we will have to take a Covid test before flying, and then if we test positive go into the hospital for however long it takes, before we can travel".  She replied "What a giant feces storm".  Yep, and then even if we are vaccinated but outside the 3 month window we will still need to quarantine for the entire time instead of a shortened quarantine.  Such a muck up, this who situation is.  1 year so far, and looks like at least another in my book before things start to open up.

16 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Yang Sin, acting on behalf of the ambassador, asked Anutin to ensure that the vaccinations went to Chinese people living in Thailand as a matter of priority and Anutin said he would raise this with the PM.

I had read this about three times.......and still cannot believe it.

WHy not? Anutin is Chinese!

• Like 2

An indication of the relationship, a Deputy PM and Health Minister does not rate the Ambassador only the Charge'dAffairs or 2IC, the diplomatic insult was accepted before the meeting, therefore the result of the meeting was never in doubt.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Yang Sin, acting on behalf of the ambassador, asked Anutin to ensure that the vaccinations went to Chinese people living in Thailand as a matter of priority and Anutin said he would raise this with the PM.

Maybe it was "We gave you vaccines for our people Yang Sin said, so why are you vaccinating others with it first?.  Do as we say and we won't have to use your new submarines against you"

I look at the quoted comment as a veiled threat to give China first priority on everything.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The countries are moving forward with setting up a travel bubble so that vaccinated Chinese people can visit Thailand.

Be nice to know if Thailand could enforce the anal covid swab on landing to give the Chinese the same amount of shame that non chinese now need to go through to enter China

• Haha 1

I remember a few months ago when I proposed the American embassy do something similar for American citizens in Thailand (arrange for them to be given inoculations somewhere off the embassy grounds). I was told the idea was ridiculous because Thailand would never allow such a thing to infringe on their sovereignty. When is my embassy going to get off its lazy a** and give it least half as much attention to its citizens as China does for its nationals?

• Haha 1

On 3/10/2021 at 1:52 PM, webfact said:

One thing you can be sure of, is that Thailand will drop its Kaks and bend over the table to get the Chinese Touroids back.

12 hours ago, Caldera said:

Sounds like the Thais wanted this meeting to be about getting Chinese tourists back. While the Chinese wanted to talk about vaccinating Chinese expats living in Thailand. The brothers that are worlds apart?

The amazing thing is that Chinese nationals in Thailand are being given the right to be first in line for a vaccine that the Thais bought from China. Thailand is paying the Chinese to vaccinate Chinese.